Turner Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turner Field

There seems to be a distinct lack of any pictures of Turner Field on here...... Anyone have any decent ones they'd like to share? I'm particularly interested in finding any of it as it was for the Olympics, and any taken during the work to transform it to its current guise.

Can anyone out there be of any help???....

Comment

Here are some post-Olympic photos that should give you an idea of how the new footprint fits within the old one.

Last edited by JohnCropp; 11-28-2008, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Looks like one of the most boring and non-distinct fields in the league.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
          Here are some post-Olympic photos that should give you an idea of how the new footprint fits within the old one.

Supposedly THAT was the original plan for the next home of the NYMets. It would either serve as a ballpark first and then be expanded(temporarily) to house the 2012 Summer games, or it was going to be built in time for the games in 2011 and then shrunk for use as a ballpark once the games were over. Is Turner a "HOKer"?
          Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 11-28-2008, 02:03 PM.
          RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

Originally posted by locke40 View Post
            It's definitely a bad park. It seems cavernous and lifeless and the upper deck view feels like you're watching the game from Macon

Comment

Originally posted by locke40 View Post
              It is.

Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
              Supposedly THAT was the original plan for the next home of the NYMets. It would either serve as a ballpark first and then be expanded(temporarily) to house the 2012 Summer games, or it was going to be built in time for the games in 2011 and then shrunk for use as a ballpark once the games were over. Is Turner a "HOKer"?
              At least then there would be an excuse for the excessive (Turner-like) concourse beyond the City Field scoreboard!

Originally posted by soup View Post
              It's definitely a bad park. It seems cavernous and lifeless and the upper deck view feels like you're watching the game from Macon
              Lifeless? Not since they got thumselves that big ol' tay-vay!

The great thing about Turner Field is that it is efficiently standard and the tickets can be had pretty easily and cheaply. There is a pretty good section of the upper deck that is $6 a ticket (even against the Mets) and the lack of Braves fans means that upgrades are pretty easy to come by. The ushers aren't ***holes like they are in NYC, so you can pretty much get anywhere without a ticket by carrying two items and approaching a row while the usher is talking to someone else. The folks are nice and the bantering tends to be in good humor. I've never experienced anything more than a snide comment > snide reply > shared chuckle in the ATL.

One of the strangest things about the park is that you can only enter it from the outfield plaza and the area around home plate is like the back of a strip mall. A nice strip mall, but it still gives you the feeling that you probably shouldn't be there.

Above all else, however, the place is still named after one of the most decent guys on the planet even though he no longer owns the team.
              Last edited by JohnCropp; 11-28-2008, 08:10 PM.

Comment

I don't know... it is really not a total cluster **** and after seeing what they have done with U.S. Cellular Field over the years I would not write this off at all.
                U.S. Cellular started out as a cold place and was ridiculed by just about everyone. Now it is great place to see a game.
                They can do the same thing with Turner Field.
                At least they started with a real baseball configuration on the one end of the stadium. There is not a lot of forced quirkiness going on and the field is a real baseball field. Not a freak show like in Houston.
                There is not a not a huge wasteland of foul territory.
                The Upper Deck does not look any higher or farther away than Progressive or a lot of other parks.
                Is this really that different from Citi Field?
                Compare the photos of Turner Field to some of the ballparks that fans gush about. From foul pole to foul pole there is not much difference.
                Take out he crap from the outfield. It just looks like they have way too much going on there.

The Entry Plaza blocks the view of the Atlanta skyline and from what I have seen it seems to be going for Nickelodeon thyme.

Get ride of that whole Delta Deck thing and open the place up a bit. It is a real eyesore and it reminds me of what was done to Candlestick when they enclosed it. A perfectly good park before they made it a tomb. The same goes for Anaheim.
                This can go.

This is the current configuration

This is what you can do by opening it up.

I see a lot of potential here if they are willing to make the changes.
                Gut and redo the outfield and this would be a much better stadium.

Comment

that's actually a really neat idea

Comment

I think I'd do something similar. I might extend the second deck all the way out to the end of the current Delta Deck, or keep it at its current length but take out the Delta Deck, but either way, that Delta Deck has to go. It really is cluttering up the outfield way too much, and it's a complete monstrosity. Plus, it's blocking what should be a very nice view of the Atlanta skyline. Having simply one deck there, or ever a continuation of the second deck in a clean-cut fashion, would be much better.

Comment

I liked it when I went, but only because I had been stuck in the trop for so long. They should open it up so you can see downtown, but for some reason ted turner thinks he can fill all those seats.
                      The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                        ... for some reason ted turner thinks he can fill all those seats.
                        The seats were filled when Ted owned the team.

Not that several lucky draws didn't play a large part.

Comment

Originally posted by Philtration View Post
                          I don't know... it is really not a total cluster **** and after seeing what they have done with U.S. Cellular Field over the years I would not write this off at all.
                          U.S. Cellular started out as a cold place and was ridiculed by just about everyone. Now it is great place to see a game.
                          They can do the same thing with Turner Field.
                          At least they started with a real baseball configuration on the one end of the stadium. There is not a lot of forced quirkiness going on and the field is a real baseball field. Not a freak show like in Houston.
                          There is not a not a huge wasteland of foul territory.
                          The Upper Deck does not look any higher or farther away than Progressive or a lot of other parks.
                          Is this really that different from Citi Field?
                          Compare the photos of Turner Field to some of the ballparks that fans gush about. From foul pole to foul pole there is not much difference.
                          Take out he crap from the outfield. It just looks like they have way too much going on there.

The Entry Plaza blocks the view of the Atlanta skyline and from what I have seen it seems to be going for Nickelodeon thyme.

Get ride of that whole Delta Deck thing and open the place up a bit. It is a real eyesore and it reminds me of what was done to Candlestick when they enclosed it. A perfectly good park before they made it a tomb. The same goes for Anaheim.
                          This can go.

This is the current configuration

This is what you can do by opening it up.

I see a lot of potential here if they are willing to make the changes.
                          Gut and redo the outfield and this would be a much better stadium.
                          As well...that scoreboard looks WAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of place....it's tooo big for the location...I think...

Comment

The Braves would be wise to undertake renovations as outlined here. Of course, they'd have to relocate their ticket office and numerous team offices.

Comment

Here are some photos I took during a game in late '06.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X