• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Single Most Memorable Moment In Each Ballparks' History

The Ballpark In Arlington:
    Kenny Rogers' Perfect Game in 1994.

Arlington Stadium:
    Nolan Ryan records his 7th No-Hitter in 1991.

Candlestick Park:
    The earthquake during the 1989 World Series.

Pac Bell/SBC Park:
    Barry Bonds hits his 71st home run in 2001.

Shea Stadium:
    Mookie Wilson's grounder rolling through Bill Buckner's legs during the 1986 World Series.

The Kingdome:
    Edger Martinez drives home Ken Griffey Jr. to send the Mariners to the 1995 American League Championship Series.

Safeco Field:
    Cal Ripken Jr. hits a home-run in his final All-Star Game in the year 2001.

Royals/Kauffman Stadium:
    1st base umpire Don Denkinger mistakenly calls Jorge Orta safe during Game 6 of the 1985 World Series against the Cardinals.

The Oakland Alameda County Coliseum:
    Rickey Henderson declares himself to being the "Greatest of All-Time" after surpassing Lou Brock on the all-time stolen base list.

The 1987 All-Star Game that went scoreless for about 13 innings (before Tim Raines broke it up) would come second.

Riverfront Stadium:
    Pete Rose breaks the all-time career hits record on 9/11 of 1985.

Veterans' Stadium:
    Tug McGraw strikes-out Willie Wilson in 1980 to clinch the first and so far only World Championship in Phillies history.

Fenway Park:
    Carlton Fisk's game winning home-run in Game 6 of the 1975 World Series.

The Houston Astrodome:
    Mets reliver Jesse Orosco strikes Kevin Bass out to end (and clinch the NL pennant in the process) the 16 inning long 6th game of the 1986 NLCS.

Oriole Park @ Camden Yards:
    The moment that Cal Ripken Jr.'s 2,321st consecutive game became official.

The Skydome:
    Joe Carter's World Series clinching home-run off of Mitch Williams in 1993.

San Diego/Jack Murphy Stadium:
    Steve Garvey's game winning home-run off of Lee Smith in Game 4 of the 1984 NLCS.

Bank One Ballpark:
    Luis Gonzales knocks in Jay Bell to win Game 7 of the 2001 World Series against the Yankees.

Yankee Stadium:
    Lou Gerhig delivers his "Luckiest Man on the Face of the Earth" speech.

The Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome:
    Jack Morris shuts-out the Braves for ten scoreless innings in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series. Pinch-hitter Gene Larkin then, clinches the title w/ long fly ball that went over the heads of the Braves' outfielders.

Joe Robbie Stadium:
    Edger Renteria knocks in the World Series winning run against the Indians in Game 7 of the 1997 World Series.

Atlanta's Fulton County Stadium:
    Hank Aaron hits his record breaking 715th career home-run

Dodger Stadium:
    Kirk Gibson's walk-off home-run off of Dennis Eckersley in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series.

Busch Stadium:
    Mark McGwire hits his 62nd home-run to break Roger Maris' record.

Jack Buck addressing the crowd after 9/11 would come a close second in my book.

Coors Field:
    Hideo Nomo's no-hitter while w/ the Dodgers (for the first go around) in 1996.

Anaheim Stadium:
    Dave Henderson's homer off of Donnie Moore in Game 5 of the 1986 ALCS.

The Angels winning Game 7 of the 2002 World Series and Bo Jackson's home-run in the 1989 All-Star Game are not too far behind.

Wrigley Field:
    The first ever night game (or games since the originally intended "1st game" got rained-out) being held in the long history of the ballpark while against the Mets in August of 1988.

The Steve Bartman incident wouldn't be far behind in my eyes.

Tropicana Field:
    Wade Boggs records his 3,000th career hit w/ a home-run.

Three Rivers Stadium:
    Mike Schmidt hits his 500th career home-run.

Tony Gwynn scoring the winning run for the National League in the 1994 All-Star Game would come second if you ask me.

Montreal's Olympic Stadium:
    Rick Monday's home-run off of Steve Rogers in Game 5 of the 1981 NLCS.

Jacobs' Field:
    Cleveland's own Sandy Alomar Jr.'s home-run off of Shawn Estes helps Alomar win the 1997 All-Star Game MVP Award.

Miller Park:
    Commissioner Bud Selig is forced to call the 2002 All-Star Game a tie. Ironically, prior to becoming the commissioner, Selig founded & owned the Brewers, who normally play in Miller Park.
    Last edited by tmc_6882; 09-24-2004, 03:58 PM.

how about

how about past ballparks:

Polo Grounds:

"The Catch" by Willie Mays off a Vic Wertz blast in the 1954 World Series

Comment

Tiger Stadium

Somebody might want to vote for a World Series victory (or even a loss), but for my money it has to be the 1971 All Star Game. Six home runs were hit, including that monster shot in the third by Reggie Jackson; all six were hit by future Hall of Famers. (Bench, Aaron, Frank Robinson, Reggie, Killebrew, and Clemente)
      Last edited by 2Chance; 09-15-2004, 07:42 AM.
      "Someone asked me if I took steroids. I said, 'No. I had a contract with Wheaties.'"
      --Bob Feller

Comment

Originally posted by tmc_6882
        www.ballparks.com

The Houston Astrodome:
        Mets reliver Jesse Orosco strikes Kevin Bass out to end (and clinch the NL pennant in the process) the 16 inning long 6th game of the 1986 NLCS.

Oriole Park @ Camden Yards:
        The moment that Cal Ripken Jr.'s 2,321th consecutive game became official.

Three Rivers Stadium:

Jacobs' Field:
        Cleveland's own Sandy Alomar Jr.'s home-run off of Shawn Estes helps Alomar win the 1997 All-Star Game MVP Award.

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/
        If Houston "clinched the 1986 pennant", doesn't that mean they went to the World Series?
        Wouldn't that be Ripken's 2131st straight game?
        Hope we can find a better one for 3 Rivers.
        I was thinking of either playoff-clinching game in 1995 for Jacob's Field or 1995 WS game five
        Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
        Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

Polo Grounds: Thomson's home run was more memorable than Willie's catch.

Shea Stadium: Cleon Jones' catch was more memorable than Buckner's no catch.
          Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            If Houston "clinched the 1986 pennant", doesn't that mean they went to the World Series?
            Jesse Orosco strikes Kevin Bass out

Comment

www.ballparks.com
              Three Rivers Stadium:
              I seem to remember hearing about a certain second baseman that had a fairly useful hit on October 13, 1960
              Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.

Comment

past ballparks are good

Ebbets Field: April 15, 1947, 'nuff said

Comment

www.ballparks.com

Jacobs' Field:
                  Good choice, but on September 8th, 1995, clinching their first division in FORTY-ONE YEARS was pretty big too

Comment

www.ballparks.com

Wrigley Field:
                    The first ever night game (or games since the originally intended "1st game" got rained-out) being held in the long history of the ballpark while against the Mets in August of 1988.

The Steve Bartman incident wouldn't be far behind in my eyes.

What about Ruth's "called shot"?

Comment

Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                      I seem to remember hearing about a certain second baseman that had a fairly useful hit on October 13, 1960
                      Wasn't that Forbes filed though?

Comment

Originally posted by Donnybrook @ Second base
                        Wasn't that Forbes filed though?
                        you got me but thanks for my Forbes Field moment. EXCELLENT thread

Comment

What memorable moment NEVER happened at Forbes Field that has happened at every other park that had been around for awhile? Oops, this belongs in Trivia

Comment

www.ballparks.com

Safeco Field:
                            Cal Ripken Jr. hits a home-run in his final All-Star Game in the year 2001.

I'm sorry, but while that was a nice moment in time, a more realistic one would be winning #116

Comment

Is it just me, or does Wrigley Field's moment HAVE TO be the "Homer in the Gloamin'"? Right up there with Maz' homer and Thompson's homer as the greatest of all time.
                              "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X