Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball artwork help?

Hey all,

I was interested in knowing whether any of you had any rare or odd pictures of any of the historic MLB ballparks from the first half of the 20th century (or even further back, if they exist) - especially ones which clearly depict outfield advertisements. I am especially interested in images of the Harry M. Stevens panoramic stadium shots that were auctioned off by Lelands in 1996. These photographs were used to demonstrate to advertisers the state of their scoreboard ads for a given year. The image clarity of these photos is astonishing, as they were produced from glass plate negatives. The dates depicted ranged from 1934 to 1956 I believe, and many of the MLB ballparks were depicted, including: Yankee Stadium, the Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field, Fenway, and Braves Field.

Some of these panoramics made their way onto ebay at some point, and I managed to get my hands on shots of Yankee Stadium from 1936 and 1947. It was immediately after that I sold them back to collectors. Why did I do this you may ask?

I am an artist who specializes in painting vintage baseball scenes, most of which lie in the first half of the 20th century. Being a stickler for historical accuracy, these kinds photos are invaluable resources for my work - as they provide the exact look of stadium advertisement signs from each particular year. Though many photos exist of stadiums from these eras (especially to be found on Corbis, Getty Images, AP, etc.), it's harder to find reliable resources in regards to the stadiums from the 1930s and 1940s - which incidentally is my favorite period to depict.

Now, I've been visiting and contributing to this site for years now, so I'm well aware of the the photos in various threads, so I was hoping to find some new material. I am not into the collectibility aspect of them, as I make high quality photocopies of the images to keep for myself. What I ask of you fellows, is whether you own or have access to photographs such as these. I wouldn't necessarily be interested in buying any of them per se, but would most certainly love to arrange for high quality scans/photocopies of the panoramics to be made if anyone was willing to do so. I would certainly pay for the time spent, and if desired, would be happy to provide prints of my artwork for compensation.

I have enclosed a scan of one of the Harry M. Stevens photographs I speak of, as well as some examples of my artwork (more can be found at www.graigkreindler.com). If anyone can help out in anyway, please feel free to contact me via email/PM/phone/smoke signal.

Graig
    [email protected]
    http://www.graigkreindler.com

www.graigkreindler.com
    www.twitter.com/graigkreindler
    www.facebook.com/graigkreindler

Outstanding work man!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, Philtration. I sincerely appreciate it!
      www.graigkreindler.com

Comment

Hey all,

I just wanted to let all of you know that we're packing the van and leaving for Cleveland very early tomorrow morning. We're going to be at booth 216 at the IX Center, so if you're around for the weekend, please do stop on by! If everything goes as planned, I'll actually be painting some stuff during each convention day...

Also, on Sunday at some point, Dean (my agent) and I will be presenting the enclosed painting to HoFer Bob Feller. He and his people will honor us by placing it in the permanent collection of his museum in Van Meter, IA. The image depicts Feller's no-hitter against the Chicago White Sox, on Opening Day, 1940. To this day, he is still the only pitcher to ever throw one in the season's first game. The batter is first baseman Joe Kuhel, who would strike out and be Feller's last K of the day:

Anyways, I'm VERY much looking forward to this week-long extravaganza, especially since I know I'll get to meet so many of you in the process.

Hope to see you there!

Graig
        www.graigkreindler.com

Comment

Gorgeous work! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Hey all,

Long time no post!!

I just got some paintings back from the photographers, and have been able to update my website a little, so I thought I'd share what was going on both in the realm of finished pieces and on the easel for those of you who care.

Bill Mazeroski, 10/13/60, 38"x60"

Joe Jackson, 1913, 34"x42"

Honus Wagner, 1909, 34"x68"

Bob Feller, 7/31/46, 28"x30"

Lou Gehrig, 5/2/39, 22"x28"

Mickey Mantle, 9/16/51, 30"x70"

Ty Cobb, 4/14/08, 40"x62"

Home Run Baker, 1913, 11"x14"

Lou Gehrig, 1927, 9"x12"

Anywho, hope y'all dig 'em. A few of them have been updated to the ol' website (www.graigkreindler.com), so if you feel like doing some reading, go git dirty!

If you're interested in following me on facebook, go to: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...GraigKreindler

And of course, any comments or critiques are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Graig
              www.graigkreindler.com

Comment

Oh, and for some in-progress shots (all of which have been photographed poorly by me):

Moe Berg, 1935, 11"x14"

Bob Feller, 1937, 9"x12"

Charlie Gehringer, 1925, 9"x12"

Lefty Grove, 1925, 11"x14"

Thanks again!
                www.graigkreindler.com

Comment

Hey guys,

Here are a few more that I've completed over the past few months (some of which were finally professionally photographed)...

Also, if you're on Facebook want to follow me to keep up to date with what's on the ol' easel, check me out here: http://www.facebook.com/GraigKreindler

Thanks, all!

Graig
                  www.graigkreindler.com

Comment

Those are very good, how long does it take you typically to complete one of the portraits as opposed to a full scene?

Comment

Simply stunning Philmore, absolutely beautiful!
                      Huge Yankees & Mike Mussina Fan

Check Out My Youtube Channel For More Of My Yankees Collection

Check Out My MLB 2K11 Yankees Franchise

Comment

Thanks so much for the compliments, guys! I sincerely appreciate them.

Stadiumbuilder, for the most part, the smaller portraits take a lot less time than the more involved scenes. I can usually knock one out in a couple of days. Well, at least get it to the point where it only needs some minor details, most of which are done after the painting's a bit drier.

I really like doing them, too. It becomes a really nice break from the bigger stuff. I just have to make sure I don't go crazy with them and not get to the larger ones...I'm definitely guilty of having a pile of these unfinished 9"x12"s strewn about.

Graig
                        www.graigkreindler.com

Comment

Graig,

Do you sell your art? If so, what does a typical portait go for? I know that size has to be a factor, but this is the most amazing baseball art I've ever seen. I can't tell you how impressed I am.

Comment

Thanks so much for the kind words, Nick.

I do indeed sell my work, though it all goes through my agent, Dean Lombardo. If you'd like, I can put you in contact with him to talk about prices, as I'm unsure as to how much exactly these pieces are going for. Just drop me a line ([email protected]) and I'll hook ya up.

Also, your post made me realize that I haven't posted anything on here in a while, so here are some others that have been completed in the past few months.

Cincinnati Reds, 1976, 28" x 42"

Lou Gehrig, 1925, 16" x 20"

Mickey Mantle, 1956, 9" x 12"

Darryl Strawberry, 1988, 11" x 14"

Honus Wagner, 1909, 11" x 14"

Charlie Gehringer, 1925, 9" x 12"

Moe Berg, 1935, 11" x 14"

Lefty Grove, 1925, 11" x 14"

Babe Ruth, 1922, 27" x 36"

Hope you all enjoy 'em!

Graig
                            www.graigkreindler.com

Comment

Oh, and for something completely different...football!

Eli Manning, 2008, 24" x 30"

David Tyree, 2008, 24" x 30"

Graig
                              www.graigkreindler.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X