Tokyo Dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Dome

I'm watching Game 1 of the WBC, being played the Tokyo Dome and noticed there was no Ballparks thread on it.

Your thoughts on the Tokyo Dome? It has a little shopping center around it, al la the 'baseball village' discussed about the A's future Cisco Field and at the Cardinals' New Busch Stadium.

I'd love to visit the Tokyo Dome someday. For whatever reason, I've always liked it! Here is a pic to get the thread going although it isn't mine (sorry that it is slightly large, but it is wallpaper quality!). Does anyone have any pictures from last years opening series with the A's vs. Red Sox? I'd love to have those!
    Attached Files

Comment

I've never seen it in person, but here are some photos of a model I bought of the Tokyo Dome.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Astros; 03-06-2009, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Looks like Metrodome/Tropicana Field to me.

Dome stadiums are just awful...

Comment

I feel like it's the oldest of the japnese domes is that right?
          The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
            I feel like it's the oldest of the japnese domes is that right?
            I do think you are right. I've never really been a fan of the Japanese Domes or Stadiums but there was the Fukuoka Dome built about 15-18 years ago that has a retractable roof unlike anything else I've seen for baseball. The stadium portion is circular and really doesn't have distinguishing seating tiers but the dome is kind of cool looking. I'm sure this is going to sound biased, but I do think the Astrodome as it was in the 1960s was the best domed stadium ever built.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Bombay View Post
              Looks like Metrodome/Tropicana Field to me.
              It's Tropicana's seating arrangement with the Metrodome's fabric air supported roof.
              Last edited by efin98; 03-06-2009, 11:22 PM.
              Best posts ever:
              Originally posted by nymdan
              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

Why is every Japanese stadium a dome? Does anybody play outside?

Comment

Originally posted by CFmets09 View Post
                  Why is every Japanese stadium a dome? Does anybody play outside?
                  Half are domes, the other half are open air.
                  Best posts ever:
                  Originally posted by nymdan
                  Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                  Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                  I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

The Japanese do seem to like their domes. It seems like half their ballparks are such. It gets really hot and muggy in the summer. I think that it might rain more there than here.

The Toyko Dome is an interestng experience. With the amusement park outside it's is like a baseball Disneyland. Tix are often hard to get but they do have standing room. Baseball seems to be a lot more serious business in the Big Egg. One thing that they do that might work here is that the beer vendors are pretty young girls in hot pants who come to your seat and serve beer on their knees.

Not all domes are truly domes. The Goodwill Dome, home of the Seibu Lions, is really just an outdoor stadium with a huge umbrella on top. When it gets hot, the ball really carries.

Fans act so differently not only from USA ballparks but from park to park in Japan. The best experince is Koshien Stadium, a very old pre-war outdoor stadium that is reminiscent of Wrigley Field, but with very active fans. I have heard it described as Wrigley on Crack. It fits.

Other than the friendly and gracious fans, who are happy that you graced their ballpark with your presence, the food is amazing, varied and inexpensive.

Go see some games there. You will be hooked for life, I guarantee it.

Comment

Originally posted by Astros View Post
                      I've never seen it in person, but here are some photos of a model I bought of the Tokyo Dome.
                      Where did you buy a Tokyo Dome replica? How can a person get one, provided there are any to be sold

Comment

Too much Tropicana for my taste
                        Twenty Seven

Comment

Originally posted by bandaide300 View Post
                          Where did you buy a Tokyo Dome replica? How can a person get one, provided there are any to be sold
                          I found it on Ebay back around 2000. I've never seen one since. It was a little kit in a box with Japanese marks on it. I applied the decals and painted portions of it. It is just about the size of one of the Danbury Mint replicas but this is plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Astros View Post
                            I found it on Ebay back around 2000. I've never seen one since. It was a little kit in a box with Japanese marks on it. I applied the decals and painted portions of it. It is just about the size of one of the Danbury Mint replicas but this is plastic.
                            Does danbury mint have it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tullydew View Post
                              Does danbury mint have it?
                              Never seen it listed but check danburymintsports.com. The model I have has no connection to the Danbury Mint.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X