Hitter's Ballparks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitter's Ballparks

Hey guys , Im new to this Forum and i would like to know the names of hitter's Ballparks , thx anyways.

Depends on how you quantify a "hitters" park. Of the current ballparks, Philly has a reputation for being a "hitters" park. Moving the left field fences back 5 feet and raising them slightly will help this year, however.

I think Wrigley is a hitters park, as the power alleys are not very deep. But the lines are deep.... The cold weather early in the season does not help either.

Back in the day, Sportsmans Park was a hitters park in St. Louis, especially for Lefthanded hitters, but they had a screen that ran from the right field foul pole to right center. Any HR to right had to be on the roof. The power alley was 350 iirc, but hitting it on the roof (otherwise it was off the screen and a double, maybe a triple) makes it about a 380 foot poke to right center, 340 or so down the line. Still a reputation for a hitters park.

I think Ebbets Field and Shibe Park were good to hitters.

Maybe Camden Yards as well, and Miller Park are hitters parks. Don't forget Coors Field, with that thin air. (Not looking up numbers here... or comparing HR frequency to the rest of the league etc.)

I think that the New Busch Stadium will be a pitchers park.... except when Pujols bats. Every park is a hitters park to him.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

GABP in Cincinnati is a hitters park. Ask the Reds pitchers. Of course, their pitchers aren't that good. The big problem is when they built the park, they used the same distance down the foul lines as Crosley Field. Nice touch but short fences for the way the game is played today.

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan
        Depends on how you quantify a "hitters" park. Of the current ballparks, Philly has a reputation for being a "hitters" park. Moving the left field fences back 5 feet and raising them slightly will help this year, however.
        10 dollar bet; I'll give you 2/1 odds (I pay you 20, you pay me 10)..it won't change a thing.

The fences today being shorter is an issue, but it's also how these parks are being built. Enclosed. The ball just rockets out.

Every park today is a hitters park, because the game is setup for hitters.

I find it amusing that Petco gets so much run for being a "pitchers" park, yet the fences are only 334-L, 367-LC, 396-C, 385-RC, 322-R .

Comment

[QUOTE=Sultan_1895-1948]10 dollar bet; I'll give you 2/1 odds (I pay you 20, you pay me 10)..it won't change a thing.

QUOTE]

Bold statement... but I disagree... send me your $20 and I will hold it till the end of the season!!! What was a HR into the first 4 rows last year is a warning track out this year. It will make a difference in the total number of HR's hit to left, but maybe not by 50. Probably about 15-30.

Lots if right handed hitters, mind.
          "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Originally posted by StanTheMan

Bold statement... but I disagree... send me your $20 and I will hold it till the end of the season!!! What was a HR into the first 4 rows last year is a warning track out this year. It will make a difference in the total number of HR's hit to left, but maybe not by 50. Probably about 15-30.

Lots if right handed hitters, mind.
            Ok, the check is in the mail. Let me know when it gets there

STM, I really don't think it'll make a difference. So the "would be" homer will now be a double or triple off the wall. Most of the homers there weren't going out by a couple feet. They'd need to add a good 15 - 20 feet to make any difference imo. That park is a joke, along with Cincinnati's, and Houston's to left.

Providing there are the same number of AB, or more, if there's 30 less homers hit there, I'll send you 20 bucks. If it's 29 or less, you owe me 10

Comment

why do people always mention MMP in Houston but fail to mention right field in San Fransisco? Isn't it 307 thats a joke. Barry Bonds sure likes it
              !

Comment

Originally posted by driver62
                GABP in Cincinnati is a hitters park. Ask the Reds pitchers. Of course, their pitchers aren't that good. The big problem is when they built the park, they used the same distance down the foul lines as Crosley Field. Nice touch but short fences for the way the game is played today.
                GABP isn't much of a hitter's park, it's a home run park. There is a huge difference between those two things, and the Reds would do well to know it.

Here are the park factors for 2003-2005:

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/...ors_2003_2005/
                http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

Something else to consider besides dimensions are the atmospheric conditions at the park that prevail during the season. Coors field has the mile-high air to make home runs fly further, Ameriquest Field has high temperatures most of the year that make the ball carry further, and various fields have strong winds much of the year (Wrigley Field is known for strong winds blowing out during the summer months, while Dolphins Stadium in Miami faces into the trade winds from the east, with the wind blowing in 4 times as often as out in 2004).

Winds, temperature and altitude are very big factos in whether a park favors hitters or pitchers!
                  ESPN Home Run Tracker
                  Home run distances for every home run hit in MLB

http://www.hittrackeronline.com

Comment

Originally posted by driver62
                    GABP in Cincinnati is a hitters park. Ask the Reds pitchers. .
                    ask eric milton!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X