Jarry Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jarry Park

Does anyone have any photos of Jarry Park that they'd like to share? It seems that this is the one that everyone has...

...surely there's got to be more out there.
    X

Here's another (ebaseballparks.com):

The press box around home plate:

Here's an aerial showing the tennis configuration (digitalballparks.com):

Comment

The 1995 renovation completely changed the layout of the stadium (now known as Uniprix Stadium):

Comment

I believe back in 1991 when Olympic Stadium suffered its first of several falling concrete incidents, there was some brief talk of having the Expos play in Jarry Park temporarily while the stadium was being repaired. I guess that would have been too cost prohibitive, however.

Comment

That's interesting, I had no idea about that park becoming a tennis complex.. good to see they didn't waste the original structure. Its a lot like how the 1996 Olympic Stadium is now Turner Field in Atlanta.

Comment

I wish that in this country we would do the same things with outdated facilities as they did with Jerry Park. The United States seems to want to bulldoze any building or structure that has outlived its primary purpose, instead of being creative and reusing it for something different. This isn't only with sports facilities either. Kind of makes me sad that we throw away history.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stlfan View Post
              I wish that in this country we would do the same things with outdated facilities as they did with Jerry Park.
              The Singer Bowl, originally a long rectangular stadium built for the 1964 New York World's Fair, was heavily renovated and divided into two adjacent facilities: the National Tennis Center's Louis Armstrong Stadium and the Grandstand court.
              X

Comment

bump

Here's a view looking towards the third base line and right field, as published in the 1982 Montreal Expos "Souvenir Album," which celebrates the team's history. I'm presuming the photo was taken Opening Day 1969.

Is it me, or does the man in the lower left corner with a beer in his hand bear a resemblance to Tony Soprano?

EDIT TO CORRECT FACTUAL ERROR: The year of the Montreal Expos "Souvenir Album" should be 2002, not 1982.
                Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 01-08-2008, 08:58 PM.
                X

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                  bump

Here's a view looking towards the third base line and right field, as published in the 1982 Montreal Expos "Souvenir Album," which celebrates the team's history. I'm presuming the photo was taken Opening Day 1969.

Is it me, or does the man in the lower left corner with a beer in his hand bear a resemblance to Tony Soprano?
                  Yeah, he does kinda look like Tony Soprano.

Comment

Nope, that's opening day 1972 - Ken Singleton in the lineup w/ Tim Foli & Mike Jorgensen. You can see Ron Hunt w/ hands in back pocket (he led off) Jorgensen next to him, Gene Mauch (#4) is running onto the field having been announced.

Also, the O'Keefe Beer sign on top of the scoreboard was not there opening day 1969.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by exposhistory View Post
                      Nope, that's opening day 1972
                      And while we're correcting year errors, I mis-stated the year the Expos' souvenir album was published; it's from 2002, not 1982. I added a note in my original post, but this is for those who don't go back and re-read old posts.

What year is the "GO!" photo (see the first post in the thread) from?
                      X

Comment

We have quite a few on www.digitalballparks.com actually, including a lot of close ups of the still existing part that was the grandstand behind homeplate, and a few from the old days.

Comment

Does anyone have any photos of Jarry Park that they'd like to share? It seems that this is the one that everyone has...

...surely there's got to be more out there.
                          I am going to be putting up my photos of Jarry park (or what was left of it) tonight. I even have a couple of photos of the old expos clubhouse. www.ballparks.phanfare.com Its on there now... click on slideshow and turn your speakers on and enjoy Rush while you watch the Jarry park slide show
                          Last edited by bnbusser; 01-14-2008, 02:49 PM.
                          It is 9:46 p.m.

Vin Scully with the call: Two and 2 to Harvey Kuenn, one strike away. Sandy into his windup, here's the pitch.....

Swung on and missed, a perfect game!!

check out my personal ballpark photography site
                          www.ballparks.phanfare.com

Comment

Originally posted by bnbusser View Post
                            I am going to be putting up my photos of Jarry park (or what was left of it) tonight. I even have a couple of photos of the old expos clubhouse. www.ballparks.phanfare.com Its on there now... click on slideshow and turn your speakers on and enjoy Rush while you watch the Jarry park slide show
                            Nice job bnb brings back great memories.

I've sent you a PM - I'll be happy to contribute some of my Jarry Park pics.
                            sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=exposhistory;1090815]Nice job bnb brings back great memories.

I've sent you a PM - I'll be happy to contribute some of my Jarry Park pics.[/QUOTE

I sent you a reply back too....
                              It is 9:46 p.m.

Vin Scully with the call: Two and 2 to Harvey Kuenn, one strike away. Sandy into his windup, here's the pitch.....

Swung on and missed, a perfect game!!

check out my personal ballpark photography site
                              www.ballparks.phanfare.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X