Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Area Around Ballparks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Area Around Ballparks

    So I noticed that there is no thread for the area around ballparks, something that gets discussed a lot in the individual stadium threads. This is a place to share pictures of Stan's, Wrigleyville, the Iron Triangle, or your favorite hangout around your favorite ballpark. I'll get us started with a few views outside of Yankee Stadium in the bronx:




  • #2


    The area surrounding the Dolph. I've never stayed around long enough to see if there is anything to do around the stadium. It's mostly residential around there, and the stadium is far from the downtown areas of Fort Lauderdale and Miami. On the plus side, parking is never a problem. When the place is set up for football, notice the dead areas behind the benches. It was Joe Robbie's idea to make the park wide enough for baseball to easily fit.
    1997 2003
    Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

    Comment


    • #3


      There isn't much of a scene around the Cell, but there are a few bars in the neighborhood within some walking distance. My spot can't be seen here, but there are a couple "visible," one of which is adjacent to the softball diamonds north of the park. One thing to point out is there is nothing remotely "ghetto" about the neighborhood. That characterization is made by outsiders who have never been there... or suburban transplants to the north side who think the entire south side is ghetto.

      It's really completely safe around there. Hell, nowadays, I park east of the Dan Ryan in a spot that was formerly projects and is now a subdivision of new townhomes. The fact is it's Bridgeport, a neighborhood long protected by the local politics that have always kept the riff raff out. The Dan Ryan acted as a barrier to keep the projects isolated. Even when they were up, you were in no danger of being "shot, mugged or killed" at Comiskey as some ill-informed people would have you believe.

      The neighborhood is just kind of blue collar, kind of white collar, pretty unassuming. It's actually quite nice immediately around the park. Anything you might call ghetto is about a mile west where there are some poorly kept store fronts and generally depressing looking people, but no gang activity or random, violent crimes to really speak of. Even that area is being revived by the young artist crowd. You're really in far more danger in Wrigleyville where the crime rate is higher (because of A. population density and B. outside riff raff preying on well-off twentysomethings and naive visitors frequenting the bar scene).
      Go go White Sox

      Comment


      • #4
        what i love about the area around yankee stadium is its not artificial. it's mostly privately owned and simply themed to its suroundings. there for the culture and environment isent drawn up on a chalk board its run by the people of new york who all share a common passion. nothing here was pland as a multi million artificial down town redevlopment. im not a redsox fan but ive visited fenway park once and its the same situation.

        Comment


        • #5
          There's a couple of restaurants, parking garages, an expo center, & an arena around Chase Field.

          Comment


          • #6

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/janelbot/834744873/



            This is the unofficially official pre-game hangout for Dodger fans for decades. Philippe's is the birthplace of the french-dip sandwich and one of the oldest and most beloved family-owned restaurants in L.A.. Right across the street from Union Station and 5 min. from the ballpark, it's been a Dodger Stadium tradition since the ballpark opened in 1962, and a L.A. tradition since 1908.

            And here is a great shot of some of the urban neighborhoods and parkland surrounding the stadium.


            http://www.flickr.com/photos/atwatervillage/2527141550/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by marlins739 View Post


              The area surrounding the Dolph.
              Why did they build it at an odd angle in relation to the immediate area? Unless it was decided that angle was best from a sun/shadow perspective.
              X

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Zoso View Post
                What fascinates me about the "Cell" is the tall building just beyond the centerfield wall. It's fascinating because it's a Senior Citizens' home, and I'm sure after years of just having the traffic from the Dan Ryan Expressway to deal with, they were thrilled to all of a sudden have a huge stadium with all the bright lights and the noisy crowds and the exploding scoreboard right in their backyard.
                X

                Comment


                • #9
                  Great thread!

                  This picture is from out of our living room window where we used to live at 33rd and Halsted in Chicago. If you look closely, you can see the light towers and roof just above the houses in the distance (about a 8 block walk to USCF). We loved the neighborhood.
                  Attached Files
                  www.twitter.com/jasonrosko

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by marlins739 View Post


                    The area surrounding the Dolph. I've never stayed around long enough to see if there is anything to do around the stadium. It's mostly residential around there, and the stadium is far from the downtown areas of Fort Lauderdale and Miami. On the plus side, parking is never a problem. When the place is set up for football, notice the dead areas behind the benches. It was Joe Robbie's idea to make the park wide enough for baseball to easily fit.
                    You can't tell from this pic but I always found it odd that the actual parking spots are over grass.
                    Yea there really is nothing in the Dolphins Stadium immediete area, you have the Turnpike, a few off ramps, a few drainage canals, and gated communities on the other side of them.
                    Fort Lauderdale is still a good half hour away as well as Miami.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                      What fascinates me about the "Cell" is the tall building just beyond the centerfield wall. It's fascinating because it's a Senior Citizens' home, and I'm sure after years of just having the traffic from the Dan Ryan Expressway to deal with, they were thrilled to all of a sudden have a huge stadium with all the bright lights and the noisy crowds and the exploding scoreboard right in their backyard.
                      I always wondered why they made it so that home plate faces southwest? Most of your parks go in the traditional Northeast angle.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
                        I always wondered why they made it so that home plate faces southwest? Most of your parks go in the traditional Northeast angle.
                        I've heard various reasons for this. One of them is that Jerry Reinsdorf wanted home plate to remain at the corner of 35th and Shields, just like Old Comiskey Park.
                        www.twitter.com/jasonrosko

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by skobabe8 View Post
                          I've heard various reasons for this. One of them is that Jerry Reinsdorf wanted home plate to remain at the corner of 35th and Shields, just like Old Comiskey Park.
                          I guess that can make some sense. I'm not crazy about watching games where the sun is right on the players and crowd.
                          The only thing it eliminates is the upper deck shadows that you get at about 3:00 to 5:00.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I don't have any photos of it handy, but my favorite area is probably the surrounding area of Camden Yards. Some great pubs just across the street, and on game days, it's like a baseball party on the surrounding blocks.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JoostSuderFain View Post
                              I don't have any photos of it handy, but my favorite area is probably the surrounding area of Camden Yards. Some great pubs just across the street, and on game days, it's like a baseball party on the surrounding blocks.
                              Eutaw street is very nice. Besides the park itself, its what really sells the Camden Yards experience.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X