• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-FFk9JWsAE3bNe.jpg-large.jpeg

seaverstatue.jpg

Classic baseball and ballparks https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• Mike Francesa suggests the '69 Mets take the field against the Braves. Couldn't hurt.

https://twitter.com/BigMeatPete/stat...44885862031360

Comment

• X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• During '69 Weekend (the three games against Atlanta, June 28-30), the right field scoreboard was designed to resemble the original Shea Stadium scoreboard. Here's how it looked just before the first pitch of Sunday's game.

X
          What's THAT guy doing?
          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
            The corner of Seaver and Koosman!
            First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• Originally posted by CHiller View Post
              The corner of Seaver and Koosman!
              Never thought of that! And the next block - the one in front of the Bullpen Gate - is the corner of Seaver and Stengel.

Backtracking north, 34th Avenue, which becomes Shea Road, can be the corner of Seaver and Syndergaard. Or, if you want a '69 tie-in, Cleon Jones and Nolan Ryan also wore #34 as Mets (Jones in 1963-65, Ryan in 1966).
              X
              What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

• Had an opportunity to walk along part of Seaver Way after Sunday's game. I was surprised to see that at Roosevelt Avenue there's a 126th Street sign in addition to the Seaver Way sign. All the other intersections I've seen, from Willets Point Boulevard to 36th Avenue, just have Seaver Way signs.

X
                What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

Never thought of that! And the next block - the one in front of the Bullpen Gate - is the corner of Seaver and Stengel.

Backtracking north, 34th Avenue, which becomes Shea Road, can be the corner of Seaver and Syndergaard. Or, if you want a '69 tie-in, Cleon Jones and Nolan Ryan also wore #34 as Mets (Jones in 1963-65, Ryan in 1966).
                  I didn't follow baseball until the '69 Series, so I had no idea that Ryan ever wore 34. That may explain why he wore it later with the Rangers (and Astros?)

Comment

• ‘You never see police here … but now they’re here’: City tows away cars from Willets Point demapped streets

The NYPD wasted little time towing cars off newly demapped streets in Willets Point on Monday, July 8.

Last week, the city Department of Housing Preservation and Development installed gates blocking off Willets Point Boulevard, 38th, 37th and 36th avenues in the industrial area. The roadways, in the shadow of Citi Field, had recently been removed from the official city street grid for potential redevelopment.

The agency also posted signs threatening a tow, a fine and potential jail time for vehicle owners who leave their cars on the demapped streets.

It appears that was not an empty threat.

By 2 p.m. on July 8, three days after the department locked the gates, several cars had been towed from the former streets, according to workers in the area.

Photo: Jacob Kaye/QNS
                    Original caption: Police officers enforce the vehicle ban on demapped streets in Willets Point on Monday, July 8, 2019.

Link to the complete article from which the above was extracted: here.

Comment: after the game Sunday (7/7/19), I walked along Seaver Way and noticed the streets mentioned in the article were fenced off, and there were signs warning that the area was city property and unauthorized vehicles would be towed.
                    X
                    What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

• Yay! Maybe before I die I may see that blighted eyesore turned into something worthy of being near Citi Field!

Comment

Yay! Maybe before I die I may see that blighted eyesore turned into something worthy of being near Citi Field!
                        Like Love Canal ?

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Like Love Canal ?
                          Beat me to it.

As soon as they dig to bury infrastructure (sewers), the triangle will turn into a Superfund site.
                          20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

• You think the ground that Citi Field is built on is any better? That whole area was a landfill where ashes from the city's coal fired furnaces were used to fill in the marshlands. Or that being across the street from the iron triangle is far enough away for protection? Even if they just bulldoze the whole thing, encase it in concrete and never build anything there it will be better than what's there now. And please don't start about the jobs being lost or government overreach.

Comment

You think the ground that Citi Field is built on is any better? That whole area was a landfill where ashes from the city's coal fired furnaces were used to fill in the marshlands. Or that being across the street from the iron triangle is far enough away for protection? Even if they just bulldoze the whole thing, encase it in concrete and never build anything there it will be better than what's there now. And please don't start about the jobs being lost or government overreach.
                              Well , you can start by explaining eminent domain laws and private property . Robert Moses seemed to explain it to the Brooklyn Dodgers and Walter O’Malley

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post

Well , you can start by explaining eminent domain laws and private property . Robert Moses seemed to explain it to the Brooklyn Dodgers and Walter O’Malley
                                Fred's still planning a mall? If you've read a paper over the past decade, you'd know brick and mortar retailing is shrinking, and malls are closing nationwide.

The area's not suitable for human habitation. To properly remediate the area for "affordable housing" would be cost prohibitive.

Fred needs to get off the public tit. He already siphons a fortune from the Mets/SNY every year.

Why won't this project just die?

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X