No announcement yet.

Citi Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screenshots from yesterday's (7/16/20) livestreamed intrasquad game...

First, let's take a look at the right field scoreboard.

I wonder if the plain Mets logo was there because it was an intrasquad game, and they'll use "real" graphics during the regular season. Also interesting to see the teams listed as "BLU" and "WHT." First thought was, how did they decide who would be the home team, but then I realized: obviously, the home team is in home whites!

New for 2020: in the left field, on the rear wall, a "no child goes hungry" home run counter (that's what I'm guessing it is).

What caught my eye was the top of the apple graphic extending over the top of the wall, in front of the fence. My first thought was that it might obstruct the view of the fans seated directly behind it, but on second thought that may not be the case because none of the graphic actually extends over the top of the railing.

Finally - new Coors Light ads in front of the Big Apple Reserved seating. There's another change, but let's see if you can find it before I tell you about it...

Did you spot it? The NY Lottery "Hit It Here" contest ad is gone, although the sign itself is still there. Will there be a new "Hit It Here" sponsor, will the sign be repurposed, or will there be a different NY Lottery ad? Only time will tell...

The apple graphic, Coors Light ads and removed lottery graphics are new changes - compare them to the 7/3/20 photos posted earlier by alpineinc.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• A couple more photos from yesterday's (7/16/20) intrasquad game. These were posted to Facebook by PA announcer Colin Cosell. What caught my eye was that Citi Vision had player graphics, even though the right field scoreboard didn't.

(Image originally posted to Facebook by Colin Cosell.)

(Image originally posted to Facebook by Colin Cosell.)
      X
      What's THAT guy doing?
      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• A couple of screen captures from SNY's broadcast of Opening Day.

We begin with the first pitch of the game and the season: a 99mph Jacob deGrom fastball to Ronald Acuna Jr. for called strike 1. I want you to note the last three rows of seats above the "Get Your Mets Gear" message are empty...

Here's the first pitch Pete Alonso sees of the 2020 season (a 93mph Mike Siroka slider for ball one). Now I want you to note that the empty seats in the first shot are "occupied," so to speak, by a virtual rotating ad...

X
        What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

• Some more screen captures from SNY's live stream of Opening Day.

Virtual tarps with advertising have been placed over seats in left field, on the Field and Excelsior levels. This screenshot was captured as the camera followed Yoenis Cespedes' home run in the 7th inning.

This view from behind the plate shows the virtual tarps in left field. You can also see that the former NY Lottery "Hit It Here" ad to the right of the Big Apple Reserved seating is gone, although the physical sign remains.

M&Ms must really think Citi Field is a good place to market their product. In addition to sponsoring the Party Deck in left field, they've got that photo op bench on one side of the Shea Bridge, and - as seen here, an ad on one of the virtual tarps, and their logo on the on-deck circles replacing team logos.

This view from behind home plate shows that the at-bat graphics and the right field scoreboard graphics are the same style they used in 2019. Usually they change it every year. I'm presuming they didn't bother creating a new design because of the pandemic. You'll remember from the Colin Cosell photos of the intrasquad game I shared earlier that a different style of at-bat graphic was used, without stats, and I thought that was what they were going to be using this year.

Also, note the SNY logo on the batters' eye, which has to be another virtual ad, because this image was taken during actual gameplay; you're probably aware that although the space is used for advertising, it's a rotating panel which only shows the ad between innings.

Finally, a couple of views from the centerfield camera, showing the placement of the fan cutouts. The first was taken during the bottom of the 7th inning, and the other one is a post-game shot.

Incidentally, I checked with my rep yesterday to find out if there was any way that we'll be able to see our cutouts, and find out where they're placed. He wrote back: "I just received word that they’re working on a manifest for us and that should be over to us by the end of next week. A lot of work was put in, in a short amount of time to insure these were in the seats by today’s game."
          X
          What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post

Incidentally, I checked with my rep yesterday to find out if there was any way that we'll be able to see our cutouts, and find out where they're placed. He wrote back: "I just received word that they’re working on a manifest for us and that should be over to us by the end of next week. A lot of work was put in, in a short amount of time to insure these were in the seats by today’s game."
            Thanks for the info. I got the approval email 2 hours before game time that my cutouts were "approved" and I wondered if they'd be there in time as promised.
            I haven't heard back from my Rep yet on if we'd find out where the cutouts were placed and if they were being photographed for STH'ers or purchasers.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
              I got the approval email 2 hours before game time that my cutouts were "approved"
              Interesting. I never received any such e-mail... but I also never received any communication indicating that my submissions were rejected. (One of the two images I submitted was the original 2017 image of me doing the thumbs-down.) Wonder if you received one because you were thisclose to game time.

X
              What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

Interesting. I never received any such e-mail... but I also never received any communication indicating that my submissions were rejected. (One of the two images I submitted was the original 2017 image of me doing the thumbs-down.) Wonder if you received one because you were thisclose to game time.
                Sent the photos in on July 17 and got approved on July 24. Just before the home Opener.

Comment

• There's a point where there is just so many ads; that they all just blend together. The added virtual ads on the seats just ads wood to that fire. If they can do it now, why won't they do that when there are fans in the building? It's not like your ticket says you'll be shown on tv.

Unrelated... why is Pete Alonso wearing a yellow belt?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
                    If they can do it now, why won't they do that when there are fans in the building?
                    That's a good point. There may come a time where a virtual ad might be placed in a location that, if it were real, would obstruct fans' views of the game. There's already a precedent in sports - the ads you see on the glass behind the net in hockey.

X
                    What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

• A couple of interesting screen captures from Fox's broadcast of last night's (7/30/20) game...

The aerial view they used was not a live shot. You'll note that the Iron Triangle buildings that have been demolished are still standing...

The "virtual fans" Fox is using needs work. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to capture the image before the Fox graphics started encroaching on it, but you can still see that the virtual fans in the front row of the Promenade Reserved have their legs dangling over the edge, impossible (and unwise) in real life.

X
                      What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

• Okay, this is weird.

You know how I talked about the virtual ad that appeared behind the plate at Citi Field during SNY's broadcasts? Here's a screenshot I made of Yoenis Cespedes hitting his home run on Opening Day, as the game was being broadcast live...

You'll notice the virtual ad for Hyundai replacing fans (cutouts) in the last three rows.

However...

I recently made some screen captures of the home run off the SNY broadcast as shown on MLB.TV, and to my surprise...

...no virtual ad! Just empty seats.

It came to my attention because I wanted to "re-take" some screenshots of the virtual tarp ads in left field, which was one of the images I shared earlier from the live broadcast. But I noticed that when watching the home run on MLB.TV, as the cameras followed the flight of the ball into the stands, the virtual tarps weren't there!
                        X
                        What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

I checked with my rep yesterday to find out if there was any way that we'll be able to see our cutouts, and find out where they're placed. He wrote back: "I just received word that they’re working on a manifest for us and that should be over to us by the end of next week. A lot of work was put in, in a short amount of time to insure these were in the seats by today’s game."
                          The latest from my rep, in an e-mail sent to me yesterday (8/3/20): "We had a meeting this morning where the folks that are working on that said it would be done very shortly. They're up to 8.5k cutouts so imagine having to make a spreadsheet of that!"
                          X
                          What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

The "virtual fans" Fox is using needs work. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to capture the image before the Fox graphics started encroaching on it, but you can still see that the virtual fans in the front row of the Promenade Reserved have their legs dangling over the edge, impossible (and unwise) in real life.
                            Thanks to MLB.TV I was able to get a better screenshot of the scene I posted earlier, without the graphics:

Now that I see the whole image, it looks like there's an aisle in front of the first row, where fans are resting their feet on, instead of having their legs dangling over the edge. But if you look carefully you can definitely see that fans are in front of the section numbers. If you know the ballpark as well as I do, it just looks weird.
                            X
                            What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

• Enormous GEICO, M&Ms and Minute Maid ads just added to left field stands. And cardboard cutouts added to covered pavilion on 1st base side, which was initially for players to maintain social distancing. From Deesha (@DeeshaThosar) on Twitter.

Ee12miOWsAEqmgO.jpeg

Ee12miQWkAEvpiD.jpeg

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                              https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

• Originally posted by alpineinc View Post
                                Enormous GEICO, M&Ms and Minute Maid ads just added to left field stands.
                                So they're not sticking with virtual tarps, as they did on Opening Day.

X
                                What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X