Bobby Maduro Miami Stadium - Miami FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby Maduro Miami Stadium - Miami FL

I saw a documentary on PBS the other night entitled, "White Elephant - What is There to Save?" The documentary tells the story of Miami Stadium, built in 1948. I'd always admired the architecture of the stadium with it's curved cantilevered roof. But the story behind the man who built it, and how he obtained the money to build it was absolutely fascinating. This link leads to a lengthy article published in 1996 in the Miami New Times about the history behind the stadium and it's original owner. That history weaves through the accent of Castro in Cuba, Satchel Paige, Jimmy Hoffa and JFK's assassination, the Baltimore Orioles, refugees from Nicaragua and urban blight in Miami. It is a fascinating read..almost as good as the documentary itself.

http://urbanparadise.files.wordpress...gh-diamond.pdf

Last edited by old perfessor; 04-08-2009, 12:50 PM.

Cool ballpark. I wonder what the "extra" infield down the 3rd baseline was used for? Never seen anything like that before.

Comment

dodgers in miami...

here's a little info on the dodgers spring training at "miami stadum"...
      click on the link below the picture -
      http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D54%26um%3D1

extra fields (full/partial) were common attached to mlb spring training parks before "complexes" were built...
      Last edited by Paul W; 04-03-2009, 04:21 PM.
      the turd in the punchbowl
      reality really sucks.
      enjoy the game more...

Comment

My favorite memory of that ballpark was during batting practice in spring training when everyone would stand outside the LF wall and try to catch the BP hr's that would bounce high and all over the place on the hard pavement. It was always a mad scramble and I used to walk away from that park with at least a baseball or 2. I still have several from Cal Ripken.

Comment

Here is a link to an excellent set of Bobby Maduro Miami Stadium images, taken before demolition, by photographer Andrew Kaufman. Notice the logo on the marquee of the Professional Spring Football League's Miami Tribe.

A sample pic from Andrew Kaufman's gallery:

5781424.jpg
          Last edited by Capital City Goofball; 03-30-2012, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Does anyone have any images of the "neon" lit foul poles?

Comment

To bad the exterior of Miami Stadium wasn't incorporated into the design of the apartment building that replaced it, like what they're currently doing to Bush Stadium in Indianapolis.

tumblr_lbh6xykXNO1qe7vo3o1_500.jpg

Miami Stadium lives on though... Estadio Quisqueya, in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, is an almost exact replica:

aerial_tour20.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 87Twins91 View Post
                Cool ballpark. I wonder what the "extra" infield down the 3rd baseline was used for? Never seen anything like that before.
                I'm assuming infield practice to work on glove work and throwing short distances. They have similar versions at a lot of the Florida Spring training complex these days.
                The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

I remember driving by Miami/Bobby Maduro Stadium a year or two before they razed the place. You could see it right off the side of I-95. From the pictures, it might not look too large, but in person it had this huge, hulking presence, thanks in good part to its classic looking roof. In its delapidated condition there was a certain "haunted" feel about it, a dark beauty.

In a nod to the park's namesake, the Marlins renamed a street by Marlins Park "Bobby Maduro Way."

Comment

Thank you, Capital City Goofball, for finding this long lost thread. I just added it to the Quick Search Index.

Put it in the books.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                      I remember driving by Miami/Bobby Maduro Stadium a year or two before they razed the place. You could see it right off the side of I-95. From the pictures, it might not look too large, but in person it had this huge, hulking presence, thanks in good part to its classic looking roof. In its delapidated condition there was a certain "haunted" feel about it, a dark beauty.

In a nod to the park's namesake, the Marlins renamed a street by Marlins Park "Bobby Maduro Way."
                      Yeah I can image how the curve in the roof almost doubles its size. Al lang only had a slant in the roof and it added height.
                      The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

I never saw the stadium up close, but I used to see it when riding Metrorail. Between the Allapattah and Santa Clara stations. Shoulda gotten a pic.

Comment

Comment

Awesome find. Thanks!

Comment

Miami Stadium, or Bobby Maduro Miami Stadium, opened in August 1949. It's primary use was for the IL and FSL "Miami Marlins" (Satchel Paige was a Marlin here when in his 50's), and other various minor league teams. It was also used as the weekend Spring Training home of the Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers from 1950-1958, largely due to the poor conditions of the Vero Beach fields in the early years (the Dodgers played their first game as the Los Angeles Dodgers at the ballpark when they opened their 1958 spring training schedule against the Phillies on March 8, 1958, but less than 6,000 showed up at a park with 13,500 capacity), and was also the spring home of the Baltimore Orioles from 1959 to 1990.

See articles below about the Dodgers' second game there (no articles found on the first game, 3/11/50 vs the Braves), and also their first game as "L.A.", noted above (3/8/58).

It was razed in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Stadium

Construction, 1949

10811117034_341d6a0fbe_o.jpg

1953, players of the Miami Sun Sox gaze upon the stadium. They were the first tenants of the facility, and a minor league affiliate of the Brooklyn Dodgers. They would disband mid-season 1954, with the Marlins coming in in 1956.

af9c355d-d3fa-4061-b923-d48f833d49eb_lg.jpeg

March 1957, Milwaukee Braves facing the Brooklyn Dodgers.

a819c8d7-ea83-49fd-a82b-6368e98c345c_lg.jpeg

http://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/L...px?lotid=23769

NYT 3/13/50

NYT 3/9/58

miami030958.jpg

Below, a short preview of the 2007 PBS documentary mentioned earlier.

A wealth of information and many more photos at the digitalballparks.com site -> http://www.digitalballparks.com/Inte...al/Miami1.html
                              Last edited by alpineinc; 07-04-2018, 02:09 PM.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                              https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X