Orange Bowl [Baseball]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Bowl [Baseball]

With the Marlins moving to the location of the former Orange Bowl, I figured it would be appropriate to post a picture I found of a baseball game being played at the Orange Bowl:

The Orange Bowl actually was home to several (minor league) Miami Marlins games from 1956 to 1960. The picture above I believe was taken at a game in 1956 where Satchel Paige was on the mound for the Marlins. 57,000 turned out for that game. Right field can't be more than 220-230 feet away, and you'll note the LA Coliseum-esqe wire screen to try to mitigate the cheap shots.

My guess is that the right field line is more like 200 feet.

Was this before the western end of the stadium was enclosed?

Comment

Originally posted by Pelt View Post
      My guess is that the right field line is more like 200 feet.

Was this before the western end of the stadium was enclosed?
      I believe it was.

I can't tell which end the diamond is at though.....at the new ballpark the diamond will be in the northwest corner, with downtown Miami beyond the left field wall.

Comment

That is AWESOME, with the (unintentionally) unequal seating between the bases! You'll NEVER see anything like that in a stadium designed for baseball, of course...
        X

Comment

Cool pic. RF is a joke and the 1st base stands just make me laugh., and people thought the L.A. Coliseum was an awkward fit for baseball.

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks Pete.

Comment

Wow... you could bunt a HR to right. I wonder how far LF was?

Also, are both "dugouts" on the same side?
              "And the pitch bounced right side a base hit!! Here comes Gomez around third, there'll be no play!!! The Twins have won the Central!!!

sigpic

Comment

That is such a cool pic! Im shocked how crowded it is, but I guess Mr. Paige had that kind of following!
                The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                  With the Marlins moving to the location of the former Orange Bowl, I figured it would be appropriate to post a picture I found of a baseball game being played at the Orange Bowl:

The Orange Bowl actually was home to several (minor league) Miami Marlins games from 1956 to 1960. The picture above I believe was taken at a game in 1956 where Satchel Paige was on the mound for the Marlins. 57,000 turned out for that game. Right field can't be more than 220-230 feet away, and you'll note the LA Coliseum-esqe wire screen to try to mitigate the cheap shots.
                  I don't believe that is the case, August 07, 1956 was the ONLY game the minor league Miami Marlins played in Miami's Orange Bowl. A crowd of 57,713 saw the Marlins defeat the Columbus Jets by a score of 6-2 with Satchel Paige doubling in three runs. The diamond was set in the south east corner of the playing field.
                  It's debatable how many of the 57,713 were there for baseball. An all star show preceded the game, starring Cab Calloway, Merv Griffin, Gloria DeHaven, Oven Browne and "many more" (as the promoters like to say).
                  Other baseball was played in the Orange Bowl years later, primarily the Caribbean World Series on at least two occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by sunsox View Post

I don't believe that is the case, August 07, 1956 was the ONLY game the minor league Miami Marlins played in Miami's Orange Bowl. A crowd of 57,713 saw the Marlins defeat the Columbus Jets by a score of 6-2 with Satchel Paige doubling in three runs. The diamond was set in the south east corner of the playing field.
                    It's debatable how many of the 57,713 were there for baseball. An all star show preceded the game, starring Cab Calloway, Merv Griffin, Gloria DeHaven, Oven Browne and "many more" (as the promoters like to say).
                    Other baseball was played in the Orange Bowl years later, primarily the Caribbean World Series on at least two occasions.
                    Crowd and field setup that day.

10475595_697678900268292_2605076298136942688_n.jpg

Satchel Paige as a minor league Marlin

Satchel Paige Marlins2.jpg
                    511848519259497f9e7af333c1d8dd8f.jpg
                    Paige1_jpeaii7n_w9re0xjj.jpg

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                    https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Thanks alpineinc, those are some great pictures. You must have some extensive library.

Comment

Orange Bowl.jpg
                        www.nationalgirlsbaseballleague.com

Comment

When was this? I see that this time the short field is in left...like the LA Coliseum.

Comment

Originally posted by vitameatavegamin View Post
                            When was this? I see that this time the short field is in left...like the LA Coliseum.
                            I believe this picture was taken at the 1990 Caribbean Series.
                            www.nationalgirlsbaseballleague.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X