Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Those pictures are gold for this forum. Great post.

Leave a comment:

• gmtobehere
    replied
    Here's a link to some great photos of SkyDome in basketball mode. https://ballparks.smugmug.com/Rogers...ronto-Ontario/

A few interesting things --

- I always wondered where the small section of seats in the home plate endzone end came from. You can see from some of these pictures that those endzone seats actually went under the large sections when the stadium was in baseball mode. There's a door there where the endzone seats would go inside.

- It looks like, for hoops games, they converted half the stands (the ones they used) to football mode, and the other half remained in baseball mode.

- That stadium must have been a pain to convert in September and April from baseball to basketball.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    'Turf toe' isn't limited to artificial grass.
    That's the joke

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
    Which begs the question, if the Blue Jays are able to grow grass in SkyDome in a few years, why can't the Seahawks/Sounders and Timbers grow grass in their Pacific Northwest / open air stadiums?
    Able? Hopefully. Wait and see how it does. Plus, the grass can only be installed because the Jays are going to be the only tenants of the place.

Seattle has several field users in some tough conditions. Natural grass would get thrashed by football in the always rainy conditions in Seattle. Unless they had a retractable roof to help control the water on the grass (like the Mariners do).

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    'Turf toe' isn't limited to artificial grass.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    I hate when I get grass toe on real grass like I can get turf toe...

Leave a comment:

• Phantom Dreamer
    replied
    Because the athletes who make their living at CenturyLink Field don't want their careers ended prematurely on dangerous grass. Wake up.

Leave a comment:

• JohnCropp
    replied
    Which begs the question, if the Blue Jays are able to grow grass in SkyDome in a few years, why can't the Seahawks/Sounders and Timbers grow grass in their Pacific Northwest / open air stadiums?

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Astros View Post
    Interesting. Astroturf at the Astrodome had about an inch of padding underneath.
    It's just a different way to build a mousetrap. The 'infil' material is more than an inch of rubber crumb. The turf just goes through it rather than lay on top. Closer to how grass is I guess.

field-system.jpg

Originally posted by JT7 View Post
    Dumb question with I'm sure a logical answer and probably answered before....Why didn't they just switch over to sod instead of carving out a cement infield?
    That's the eventual plan.

Leave a comment:

• JT7
    replied
    Dumb question with I'm sure a logical answer and probably answered before....Why didn't they just switch over to sod instead of carving out a cement infield?

Leave a comment:

• Astros
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt The Hammer View Post
    Not a lot under the turf. The turf has a rubber base to it. But there isn't the roll out of padding like we have in our houses.

Remember too that there is crumb rubber then poured onto the top of the turf. That alone is quite a soft base.
    Interesting. Astroturf at the Astrodome had about an inch of padding underneath.

Leave a comment:

• Matt The Hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Astros View Post
    Is there any type of padding under the turf? Maybe I'm looking at the photos the wrong way?
    Not a lot under the turf. The turf has a rubber base to it. But there isn't the roll out of padding like we have in our houses.

Remember too that there is crumb rubber then poured onto the top of the turf. That alone is quite a soft base.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Man that full dirt looks so much better!

Leave a comment:

• chip
    replied
    I would say it looks a lot better not great.

Leave a comment:

• alpineinc
    replied
    Wow, looks great

rogers_centre640.jpg

CfjXqaEWsAkR4v8.jpg

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X