Future Historic Ballparks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Historic Ballparks

I was wondering if any of the ballparks being built, or have been built in the past decade or so, have the potential to still be around in 80, 90, or even 100 years from now? Does Safeco, Yankee, AT&T, Camden, can any of these parks become religious shrines to the game the way that Old Yankee Stadium, Tiger, Fenway, Wrigley, Ebbets, and others did?

Originally posted by Edgar.Martinez View Post
    I was wondering if any of the ballparks being built, or have been built in the past decade or so, have the potential to still be around in 80, 90, or even 100 years from now? Does Safeco, Yankee, AT&T, Camden, can any of these parks become religious shrines to the game the way that Old Yankee Stadium, Tiger, Fenway, Wrigley, Ebbets, and others did?
    Safeco probably not, just because of the mechanics required to keep the roof working. AT&T has potential, as does New Yankee Stadium (one renovations are completed). I think PNC won't last forever if the pirates ever become a good team and start drawing again. The "parking lot stadiums" (citi, citizens bank, etc) will probably be replaced eventually as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
      Safeco probably not, just because of the mechanics required to keep the roof working. AT&T has potential, as does New Yankee Stadium (one renovations are completed). I think PNC won't last forever if the pirates ever become a good team and start drawing again. The "parking lot stadiums" (citi, citizens bank, etc) will probably be replaced eventually as well.
      Replacing PNC Park? The Pirates would have to be out of their minds to do that. 35,000 is fine for Pittsburgh.

Anyway, as I say every time the topic of replacing the new ballparks comes up, it's really impossible to know what will cause this generation of ballparks to be replaced, the way the turn towards multi-purpose facilities replaced the "classical era" ballparks, and the desire for luxury boxes and more revenue drove the next ballpark boom. They won't be replaced for the sake of being replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgar.Martinez View Post
        Does Safeco, Yankee, AT&T, Camden, can any of these parks become religious shrines to the game the way that Old Yankee Stadium, Tiger, Fenway, Wrigley, Ebbets, and others did?
        There's no way to tell. The only reason Fenway and Wrigley are the "shrines" that they are is because they are very old in an era of modern stadiums. If they had been torn down decades ago and, instead, Crosley Field and Shibe Park were still around, they would be the "shrines".

It makes no difference which of the modern parks are left standing in, say, 80 years--they all have exactly the same potential--even GABP would be a "shrine", if it is the only one left that is still being used in 2090.
        I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
        - Walt Whitman

Comment

I think Kaufmann has the best chance for current ballparks. Target Field will also have a good chance IMO.

Comment

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. Are we considering dodger stadium as historic already? If not, I think it should be at the front of the pack as far as historic stadiums go.

Comment

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. Are we considering dodger stadium as historic already? If not, I think it should be at the front of the pack as far as historic stadiums go.
              Dodger Stadium has already seen more baseball than Ebbets Field did with no end in sight.
              I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
              - Walt Whitman

Comment

Dodger Stadium has to be considered historic right now. It's a classic, right?

Kauffman is also already historic.

PNC will be historic.

OPACY will be historic. You can argue that it already is.

Angel Stadium could be historic.

Twins Field has a lot of potential to be historic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
                  Dodger Stadium has to be considered historic right now. It's a classic, right?

Kauffman is also already historic.

PNC will be historic.

OPACY will be historic. You can argue that it already is.

Angel Stadium could be historic.

Twins Field has a lot of potential to be historic.
                  Bias much? haha

Comment

Bias much? haha
                    Totally.

Comment

I know this is totally off topic, but I think the new Twins Ballpark is setting a new era for baseball stadiums. Safeco, PNC, AT&T, Citizen's Bank, Comerica, and the list goes on, as beautiful as these parks are they are they are the cookie cutters of our modern era, and I think the park being raised in Minnesota really has its own style, and has its own unique feel which not a lot of ballparks possess.

Personally, I belive the only current ballparks that have potential to turn into legends besides Dodger, are Yankee, Camden, and mayybbee AT&T. I can't see PNC being around for any longer past 2050.

Comment

What's OPACY? Baltimore? If so, already historic. AT&T also will be historic.

Maybe Minute Maid?

Comment

Originally posted by klomp44 View Post
                          What's OPACY? Baltimore? If so, already historic. AT&T also will be historic.

Maybe Minute Maid?
                          Yeah, OPACY is Camden. I don't see it referred to by that name much though.

But I agree. I'd say Camden, NYS and AT&T will be.

Minute Maid I don't know about, because as someone else said, those parks with the huge roofs might not last long, or they might go through some major renovations when technology changes (or if they decide to ditch the roof idea).

Dodger Stadium I think of as a borderline classic stadium now, and now with the renovations to Kauffman Stadium, I can see that one cruising past 50 years of use.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toefer View Post
                            Minute Maid I don't know about, because as someone else said, those parks with the huge roofs might not last long, or they might go through some major renovations when technology changes (or if they decide to ditch the roof idea).
                            I was thinking Minute Maid more because of the actual field/dimensions. The short porch in left at 315. The hill in center. The pole in play in center. Those are all unique characteristics that make a field classic (ala the Green Monster, The Wrigley Ivy/Brick Wall, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by klomp44 View Post
                              I was thinking Minute Maid more because of the actual field/dimensions. The short porch in left at 315. The hill in center. The pole in play in center. Those are all unique characteristics that make a field classic (ala the Green Monster, The Wrigley Ivy/Brick Wall, etc)
                              The Green Monster and the ivy were reality, while intentionally having bizarre features is surreality. It's my desperate hope that people will wise up and snap out of this stupid fixation on postmodern garbage eventually, and get back to real architecture.

Not that Minute Maid or any other park with ridiculous features and dimensions can't last, but it'll certainly not be based around which went the most extreme.
                              http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X