Proposed Portland Ballpark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed Portland Ballpark?

Does anyone have any information or conceptual drawings of this park?

I've checked the Beaver's site, and got nothing.

Comment

Portland

Portland Baseball Passion

Comment

Right now they are fighting over whether or not a new ballpark will even be built. They have had two locations picked out and both have groups fighting the locations.

One is currently a huge park in town. From what I saw the stadium and parking would take half of the park and then they would build other baseball fields over the rest of the park. The photo's in the paper looked real nice. Problem is the locals don't want their park touched and are doing everything possible to prevent any attempts at redoing the park..

Two is the current site of Memorial Stadium which is right next to the Rose Garden. The parking is already in place as they could use the Rose Garden parking garage. The site is right next to I-5 so it's be real simple to hit the highway and be on your way home. I believe on another post someone here showed what the view would be like and it was pretty nice. The Problem with it is that I guess it was built as some form of memorial for soldiers. Because of this some group is fighting the tearing down of the stadium and is actually trying to get it declared as a historic site. Why they are trying this is the huge question. The site costs Portland millions of dollars a year to maintain. Drains huge amounts of energy every use. The only events held there are Portland Winterhawks hockey, and a few plays that can't get into the Rose Garden. So basically it's a huge building that just sits there taking up space.

Each time they pick a location they have had a conceptual drawing of the ballpark but within the week they get tossed aside as someone doesn't like the location they picked. And the city of Portland wonders why they can't get an MLB team....
        Looking for business cards from any and all baseball teams, players, etc...
        Prowling Cat Collecting

Comment

There was this plan that came out a few years back but it's extremely doubtful it's gonna happen.

Comment

I would love to see Portland land a baseball club. What a wonderful city with great fans. They support the Blazers and the University sports extremely well. Perhaps if the A's can't make it work in NorCal they could look to Portland if the politicians can be pro-active for a change (trust me, I followed the 10 year long painful Twins ballpark fight in MN). The Portland Athletics and the Seattle Mariners would have one hell of a rivalry. Is Portland too close to Seattle for another AL team? Maybe they would have to switch to the NL West???? I don't know those rules but I'm sure someone here does.

Comment

Is the new Portland ballpark going to be designed to be easily expandable? Because if they change 20,000+ seat PGE Park into a football/soccer only stadium, they are giving up a possible temporary MLB venue where a major league team could play for a couple of years before a new stadium opens.

A 10,000 stadium which isn't easily expandable probably wouldn't be sufficient for a major league team to play in, even on an albiet temporary basis.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                Is the new Portland ballpark going to be designed to be easily expandable? Because if they change 20,000+ seat PGE Park into a football/soccer only stadium, they are giving up a possible temporary MLB venue where a major league team could play for a couple of years before a new stadium opens.

A 10,000 stadium which isn't easily expandable probably wouldn't be sufficient for a major league team to play in, even on an albiet temporary basis.
                I don't think PGE Park could even serve as a temporary venue for MLB: Very little parking, only 20,000 seats (1/3 of those are benches) and a 345 ft LF power alley. And I don't even want to think what the 5, 26 and 405 would be like on game days.

Anyway, I don't think most people in local government even WANT MLB here if it means even one cent of public resources going towards a stadium.
                I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                - Walt Whitman

Comment

That ballpark would have a spectacular view of Mt. Hood.
                  I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                  - Walt Whitman

Comment

so this would be for a proposed team #31?

Comment

They would need an expansion buddy to make it an even 16 in the AL if they were going to expand to Portland. A move is more likely. What other market would be good for an expansion team at the same time as Portland? Portland and Las Vegas in the AL West, and put Texas in the AL Central?
                      1997 2003
                      Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

Well, i think once Oakland's stadium issue is resolved and the economy turns around, adding two teams is a possibility. Besides Portland, Vancouver could likely support a team, not to mention setting up a great three-way rivalry in the Pacific NW. Vegas and Salt Lake city are still a bit on the small side, but they're growing fast (or there WERE) and could maybe support a team in another decade or so.
                        There's no use being pessimistic, it won't work anyways

Comment

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                          I don't think PGE Park could even serve as a temporary venue for MLB: Very little parking, only 20,000 seats (1/3 of those are benches) and a 345 ft LF power alley.
                          Just to play devil's advocate for a second. Let's not forget this, too, was once a temporary MLB venue:

20,000 seats is small, yes, but I still think PGE Park is more plausible a temporary venue then, say, Las Vegas' Cashman Field.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                            Just to play devil's advocate for a second. Let's not forget this, too, was once a temporary MLB venue:

20,000 seats is small, yes, but I still think PGE Park is more plausible a temporary venue then, say, Las Vegas' Cashman Field.
                            Agreed. If worst comes to worst, I'm sure they could run a shuttle from the Rose Garden to deal with the lack of parking, and temporary seating could be installed in the outfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
                              Agreed. If worst comes to worst, I'm sure they could run a shuttle from the Rose Garden to deal with the lack of parking, and temporary seating could be installed in the outfield.
                              Or they could just announce the team three years in advance with a site and blueprints ready to go. Isn't that what happened with Phoenix?
                              There's no use being pessimistic, it won't work anyways

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X