X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNC Field / Lackawanna County Stadium

Any Pics??
    Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

Apparently they need a new draining system, games have been canceled due to flooding.

Comment

The view beyond the outfield is pretty nice here, but the ballpark itself could use a little work. Probably more foul territory than there needs to be now that they only use it for baseball and whatever they use to cover up the last few rows in the upper-deck where they got rid of the seats seems a bit tacky. I think it has free parking, though, so that's a bonus.

Comment

wow i never realized how big that stadium is. im hoping to get up there once this summer

Comment

yeah, and those vomitoriums or concourse tunnel entrances look enormous. maybe the tarp covering the upper deck seats just give that illusion.
          "I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."
          - Brian Clough
          "I am the eggman, they are the eggmen.
          I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob"

- John Lennon

Comment

One of my home parks!
            They cut corners when they ripped up the astroturf a couple of years back, and are now paying the price for it. Right field now is apparently a swamp.
            Here's pictures from last year. It's fairly common for people to try freeloading from the parking lot of the movie thearer up on the hill.
            Attached Files

Comment

I kinda wish more Triple-A parks were more like PNC Field.

Comment

It looks cool because the upper deck is so big for a minor league park.
                Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

Comment

When did they install grass here? Tarps should never be used to cover seats, especially for a minor league park. It's not like people can't notice the seats exist there. It reminds me of a smaller version Munhak Baseball Stadium (South Korea).

Comment

Has anyone here driven there by car?
                    How long would it take to get there, say from Long Island?

Comment

Originally posted by Bronxbomberjet View Post
                      Has anyone here driven there by car?
                      How long would it take to get there, say from Long Island?
                      Allow close to 3 hours, with this being construction season and all.

The tarps were added when the grass went in, in November 2006. I tried to get down there (I live 45 min. north of Scranton) to get a piece of turf, which was being given away, but couldn't get down there before it was all gone. Previously, the last 3 sections down the lines were bleachers. The top rows of the upper deck were removed to replace the bleachers, and it is far more comfortable. I chaperoned a school trip there in May and sat in that section down the 1b line, and the view wasn't bad. So the tarps don't cover seats, they cover bare concrete.

More bad news - the next 2 series have been moved to Allentown and Syracuse, and the NY Yankees groundskeeper was in town yesterday to try to fix things.
                      Last edited by MattD1972; 07-09-2009, 05:23 AM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Originally posted by MattD1972 View Post
                        Allow close to 3 hours, with this being construction season and all.

Ok thanks... I'll have to head over there one of these days...

Comment

When the Phillies had their AAA team there, didn't they have astroturf? I think the dimensions were built the same as the Vet too as the Phillies wanted the field to match the MLB dimensions.

I don't recall them having drainage issues before they switched to grass.

Comment

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                            When the Phillies had their AAA team there, didn't they have astroturf? I think the dimensions were built the same as the Vet too as the Phillies wanted the field to match the MLB dimensions.

I don't recall them having drainage issues before they switched to grass.
                            Yes they did have astroturf. The whole place was pretty much designed to be a "Mini Vet" which I guess would help developing players get comfortable the dimensions/field/stadium experience they would experience in the big leagues. I don't think it really helped because for the most part while the Red Barons played there, the Phillies were terrible. Though I suppose it helped guys like Desi Relaford feel more comfortable and at home while making errors in Philadelphia.

Comment

PNC Field Renovation

Though it may be a little way down the road, PNC Field, home of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees, is set to go through a major overhaul over the next few years. I'm not sure if these have been posted yet because the search tool is acting a little wonky, but I don't see it in the top few searches, so here we go!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X