Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there ever be a symmetrical ballpark again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will there ever be a symmetrical ballpark again?

Is Dodger Stadium the last symmetrical ballpark (not just the field, but the WHOLE park)?
    Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Isn't Kauffman symmetrical? I thought it was, anyways.

Comment

I still count Anaheim Stadium as symetrical (I don't count that stupid rock pile as being asymetrical, just dumb).
      "There's no crying in Baseball!"
      -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

Comment

Originally posted by hallzee View Post
        I still count Anaheim Stadium as symetrical (I don't count that stupid rock pile as being asymetrical, just dumb).
        Even without the rockpile, the right center field bleachers and the dimensions itself make the place asymmetrical.
        Thus spoke the Bored

Comment

I sure hope there are more symmetrical parks. unless they are forced to make them assymetrical due to space confinements.

Comment

Another perfectly symmetrical ballpark is the Oakland Coliseum. So is the Rogers Centre. US Cellular is pretty close, as is Chase Field. NYS is pretty close to symmetrical at a glance. I know the dimensions are different, and it's not exact, but the overall layout is pretty much symmetrical.
            1997 2003
            Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

Originally posted by the_Bored View Post
              Even without the rockpile, the right center field bleachers and the dimensions itself make the place asymmetrical.
              I guess we'll agree to disagree.... But this looks pretty darn symetrical to me, if you paint the rockpile to match the rest of the batters' backdrop.
              Attached Files
              "There's no crying in Baseball!"
              -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

Comment

I guess we'll agree to disagree.... But this looks pretty darn symetrical to me, if you paint the rockpile to match the rest of the batters' backdrop.

I think he means as a whole park. At Dodger Stadium, what you see on the left side is what you see on the right side. The only difference you'll see at DS is that there's a restaurant behind the RF foul pole while on the other side, that's where Nancy Bea plays her organ.
                Using a stolen chant from Boston Celtics fans whenever an L.A. team is playing up there just reeks of inferiority complex.

If hitting a baseball is the toughest thing to do in sports, then pitching must be the easiest thing to do in sports.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderPressure View Post
                  I think he means as a whole park. At Dodger Stadium, what you see on the left side is what you see on the right side. The only difference you'll see at DS is that there's a restaurant behind the RF foul pole while on the other side, that's where Nancy Bea plays her organ.
                  Nancy Bea's organ is on the first base side of the press box.

Sorry, but Anaheim is not symmetrical.

I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                  - Walt Whitman

Comment

USCF, Wrigley, NYS, Kaufman, Oakland, Rogers -- all symmetrical to me. There's nothing vitally, structurally different on either side in these places. USCF just has different holes in the outfield for the bullpens. Wrigley and NYS are just a bit lopsided with the same layout everywhere.

Anaheim's main bowl is symmetrical and a carbon copy of Dodger Stadium, but the outfield's seating arrangments are drastically different from left to right. I couldn't call it symmetrical anymore.
                    Go go White Sox

Comment

Rockpile? Stupid?!?!?

Comment

The new College World Series park will be close.

Comment

Symetrical's too boring. It would be like going back to the cookie cutter stadiums of the 60's and 70's. Give me the nooks and crannies of a ballpark like Fenway any day!

Comment

Originally posted by SoxfanNH View Post
                            Symetrical's too boring. It would be like going back to the cookie cutter stadiums of the 60's and 70's. Give me the nooks and crannies of a ballpark like Fenway any day!
                            Agreed. However, I prefer that the nooks and crannies be there because they HAVE to be...Fenway's configuration is the way it is because of the small area of land they had to work with. Target Field will also be assymetrical because it has to be. Same goes for AT&T Park. Personally, I don't care for the forced or contrived quirks just for the sake of being "quirky", even worse than that, I don't care for newer ballparks ripping off the "quirks" from the older ballparks (i.e. Ballpark at Arlington).

Dodger Stadium and Kauffman Stadium are two symmetrical ballparks, but it works great for them....
                            Last edited by muckandgrind; 07-22-2009, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Anaheim Stadium>Dodger Stadium

Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                              Sorry, but Anaheim is not symmetrical.

That is why I prefer Angel Stadium over Dodger Stadium. I love the asymmetry in Anaheim over the bland dimensions of Dodger. :twocents:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X