Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charlotte Knights Stadium

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Charlotte Knights Stadium

    Went by it today...got to be the ugliest minor league park built in the last 20 years. It was showing its age pretty bad too. It needs refurbing rather bad.










  • #2
    Wow, thats god awful! Ha. It looks more like a shopping mall than a ballpark.

    Comment


    • #3
      Does anyone know how progress is regarding building a new one in 'Uptown' Charlotte? Here were some renderings of it.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        I know that most minor league parks look like each other but new park looka just different enough to be pretty cool!
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

        Comment


        • #5
          uptown charlotte stadium

          i live in charlotte and doubt that that ballpark will ever be built...there is a lease agreement with meck county, that says knights have to break ground by early next year. we'll see.
          as for the current knights stadium...it is sad...its not even in charlotte or north carolina...its 5 miles across the sc border in fort mill. if they ever built a stadium uptown charlotte, i beleive it would do really well. there is talk about having the acc baseball tourny in the new stadium as well.

          Comment


          • #6
            Wow, that's pretty bad. When did that place open up? The renderings for the new one look great. Blue seats in a minor league park are pretty rare
            1997 2003
            Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
              Wow, that's pretty bad. When did that place open up? The renderings for the new one look great. Blue seats in a minor league park are pretty rare
              The plaque said it was dedicated in 1990. I remember seeing Billy Ripken playing in the old park in 85-86 as a kid....So that would sound about right.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ncyankeefan View Post
                i live in charlotte and doubt that that ballpark will ever be built...there is a lease agreement with meck county, that says knights have to break ground by early next year. we'll see.
                as for the current knights stadium...it is sad...its not even in charlotte or north carolina...its 5 miles across the sc border in fort mill. if they ever built a stadium uptown charlotte, i beleive it would do really well. there is talk about having the acc baseball tourny in the new stadium as well.
                The Charlotte Coliseum debacle is still too fresh on the minds of taxpayers memories. The current Knights stadium eerily has the same story.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Everything is in place to build the new ballpark in Charlotte. The funding is in place(mostly from the team), land assembled and all of the contracts between the city, county and team are signed.

                  The problem is a series of frivilous lawsuits by a guy named Jerry Reese. He's a local developer and attorney who has a crazy scheme to build a retractable roof major league ball park. Everyone knows Charlotte is years away from being a major league city. Many think that Reese is trying to get the city to subsidize a development he has planned in order to make him go away.

                  Meanwhile deadlines are passing and costs keep going up, putting the whole project in jeopardy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I went to a game in Charlotte last year. Its obviously not one of the new retro parks, which, since i mention it, our starting to become a second generation of cookie cutters themselves as many of them are looking the same. This park is showing its age, but there was a lot to like about it too. The location is puzzling, not sure why they decided on that and i know they want a downtown park which eventually will happen of the team will leave. Calling this the worst park is a stretch.

                    G Man

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I live on the north side of Charlotte and haven't been to a Knights game in several years. Waiting (in vain?) for the downtown stadium.

                      Nothing really wrong with the Knights stadium other than that it's boring looking, not new and doesn't have a bunch of new amenities. But the seats are close to the field, not too expensive and there's a game going on, which should be enough.

                      Just kind of a pain to drive from where I am to the stadium.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                        Nothing really wrong with the Knights stadium other than that it's boring looking, not new and doesn't have a bunch of new amenities. But the seats are close to the field, not too expensive and there's a game going on, which should be enough.

                        yes, it should...
                        the turd in the punchbowl
                        reality really sucks.
                        enjoy the game more...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          unless you live in the south charlotte area, it is a long drive. i live in concord and go to see the kannapolis intimidators, single A team for the chisox, only 10 min ride.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by gman5431 View Post
                            I went to a game in Charlotte last year. Its obviously not one of the new retro parks, which, since i mention it, our starting to become a second generation of cookie cutters themselves as many of them are looking the same. This park is showing its age, but there was a lot to like about it too. The location is puzzling, not sure why they decided on that and i know they want a downtown park which eventually will happen of the team will leave. Calling this the worst park is a stretch.

                            G Man
                            The key thing I said was, "ugliest minor league park built in the last 20 years". I never said "worst" There is a big difference. This park is fine in its utilitarian purpose. Just isn't easy on the eyes at all...however, five county stadium in Zebulan would give it a run for its money.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                              I live on the north side of Charlotte and haven't been to a Knights game in several years. Waiting (in vain?) for the downtown stadium.

                              Nothing really wrong with the Knights stadium other than that it's boring looking, not new and doesn't have a bunch of new amenities. But the seats are close to the field, not too expensive and there's a game going on, which should be enough.

                              Just kind of a pain to drive from where I am to the stadium.
                              You should see it now then. Paint peeling in the roof with rust showing in the truses and everything else fading. They just haven't kept it up and from the reading of things here with a possible new stadium...no desire to.

                              Originally posted by ncyankeefan View Post
                              unless you live in the south charlotte area, it is a long drive. i live in concord and go to see the kannapolis intimidators, single A team for the chisox, only 10 min ride.
                              I worked for the AA Orlando Rays the first year they were at Disney. No one past Universal Studios would come see them at DWWS. In fact not many people would come from anywhere close by. We were last in attendence and averaged about 2k game. The next lowest in the southern league was about 8k.

                              Disney should have looked at the Knights field situation. I am guessing they thought Carowinds would spillover attendence to the ballyard. Putting a minor league ballpark near a theme park away from a population base doesn't work.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X