Field of Dreams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field of Dreams

Had a group of six boys (8 y/o) in Iowa last weeknd for a soccer torunament. After the Saturday games, we took them over to Dyersville to see the field. We had a blast. All of them took BP and played the field. I spent about 20 minutes throwing fly balls to my son right up next to the left field corn.

It's really worth your time if ever up that way.
    "Smith corks it into right, down the line. It may go...........Go crazy folks! Go crazy! Jack Buck

take any pics?

Comment

Is there still a big legal issue? I think one guy owns the farm house and one guy owns the ball field and they weren't happy with each other at one point.
      The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

I was there two years ago. You can see from the photos that there are two roads that lead to the field. And if you follow the road, that's where the field is divided.
        Both families have donation jars and souvenier stands.

Comment

really? I felt like it was the most underwhelming attraction I have ever seen. Wow...it is a baseball field in a cornfield...i guess it does top largest ball of twine...
          bouncer...fair, down the line!...gomez to third!...rounding third, he's gonna tie the game!...and span heads to third, the comeback is complete! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tomorrow Night 1991 View Post
            really? I felt like it was the most underwhelming attraction I have ever seen. Wow...it is a baseball field in a cornfield...i guess it does top largest ball of twine...
            It's a friggin movie.

If you don't have an imagination, why bother posting ?

BTW - Is it me or do those pictures show the phone lines going right through the field ?
            Last edited by The Football Ref; 08-10-2009, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I guess if you don't know the meaning behind it, or haven't seen the movie, thats exactly what it would be

Comment

Originally posted by The Football Ref View Post
                It's a friggin movie.

BTW - Is it me or do those pictures show the phone lines going right through the field ?
                Yeah, looks like the lines go right over the 2nd / 3rd baseline and into RF. I bet a whole lot of ball will hit those wires. Pretty strange.

Comment

Originally posted by The Football Ref View Post
                  It's a friggin movie.

ya, youre right, its just a movie, relax man--just giving my opinion on the matter--before you drive thousands of miles to see it--you might want to know it wasn't the most amazing thing i have ever seen, that's all--btw, i did really enjoy the movie--got to be the best baseball movie yet--and some of the greatest quotes about the hawkeye state--"is this heaven?...no, its iowa."
                  bouncer...fair, down the line!...gomez to third!...rounding third, he's gonna tie the game!...and span heads to third, the comeback is complete! sigpic

Comment

ya, youre right, its just a movie, relax man--just giving my opinion on the matter--before you drive thousands of miles to see it--you might want to know it wasn't the most amazing thing i have ever seen, that's all--btw, i did really enjoy the movie--got to be the best baseball movie yet--and some of the greatest quotes about the hawkeye state--"is this heaven?...no, its iowa."
                    That's the power of Pine Sol, baby.

er... I meant, that's the power of Hollywood.
                    X
                    What's THAT guy doing?
                    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Burroughs: Great pics!!! We took the road on the right, which leads up near the house. That's where the restrooms and souvenir stand are located. There was nothing down the road on the left, just that buliding. I assumed it was a maintanence shed.

This is what I said in my original post:

"It's really worth your time if ever up that way."

I didn't say a word about driving thousands of miles.

Do you have kids? I got to play catch, hit and take infield with my 8 y/o son on THAT field. If you got nothing out it, then I feel sorry for you.
                      Last edited by JRH11; 08-10-2009, 11:04 AM.
                      "Smith corks it into right, down the line. It may go...........Go crazy folks! Go crazy! Jack Buck

Comment

Unless something's changed, both families have souvenier stands. When we were there we "spread the love" and bought stuff from both places.

My pics are from June of '07. August trips are great because the corn is so much higher.

When we were there in '07, there were dark clouds all around so we had the field to ourselves almost the entire time. My kids had a great time... very memorable.

Comment

Beautiful pics. There's something abstract and perfect about that baseball field.
                          sigpic

Comment

Does the field have normal size baseball dimensions or no? I read an article or saw an interview (can't remember) back when the movie came out that there really wasn't much outfield. Looking at the pictures now, it seems like they got rid of some of the corn fields and made the baseball field bigger.

I went to Iowa State University for a year. Worst year of my life.

Comment

Thoughts of an ex-pitcher

Nice form! I'd like to extend a few compliments and a denunciation to this future pitcher!
                              • Front (Left) foot pointed to the plate:
                              • Lead (Left) arm firm and tucked in at accurate angle:
                              • Brim of hat bent in center:

Last edited by locke40; 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM. Reason: Thoughts of an ex-pitcher.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X