Champion Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion Stadium

Spring training home to the Atlanta Braves, home of the Gulf Coast Braves, and former home of the Orlando Rays. Host for round one games in the 2006 WBC, and 2 Rays series in 2007 and 2008.

Does anyone have pictures of this stadium? I was at Disney in March of '08 on my High School's senior trip, but we weren't allowed to go see spring training games. I'd love to see what the place looked like for the Rays series. Bellow are a few pictures I found on wikipedia.

I know the stadium well. My wife and I used to work there back in 2000. I will see if I can dig up some pics.

Comment

Theres a ton of pics of it on Zack Hamples snaging baseballs blog. he went there for the last rays series last year

Comment

It's a beautiful park. It makes a lot of sense for Spring Training games, but obviously not very much sense for minor league games, as evidenced by the Orlando Rays skipping town.

In Spring Training, a good percentage of fans are out of town tourists, so to have the ballpark located on the grounds of a tourist trap--err, I mean tourist destination--like Disney World is a no-brainer.

However, after Spring Training ends and the minor league season begins, it loses its appeal. While tourists may want to see major league baseball at spring training, a lot fewer are going to be interested in minor league ball with no big names. Thus, you rely mostly upon the local population. The problem there is that Disney World is a good 15 miles south of downtown Orlando, and even further away from Orlando's populous northern, eastern and western suburbs. To get there, you have to use I-4, a very congested expressway and the main thoroughfare in the Orlando area.

The O-Rays should have never moved to Champion Stadium on a permanent basis. Worst case scenario they should have relocated to Champion Stadium for 1-2 years while Tinker Field was renovated/rebuilt up to modern specs. Moving to Champion Stadium was a death sentence for the team, and I knew it the moment they moved.

Comment

It sounds like the new Montgomery Biscuits have a nice setup now, but it's too bad the Rays couldn't have one of their farm teams closer to home. I'm surprised the Braves didnt put an FSL (High A) team there, like most of the other spring training facilities in Florida
          1997 2003
          Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
            It sounds like the new Montgomery Biscuits have a nice setup now, but it's too bad the Rays couldn't have one of their farm teams closer to home. I'm surprised the Braves didnt put an FSL (High A) team there, like most of the other spring training facilities in Florida
            I agree.

They can't really do worse than the Tampa Yankees, in attendance, right?
            "Obviously, no one wants to fail. But who's to say that failure's not a good thing masked in the wisdom that you can't see at that point? I just try to look at the positive." - Khalil Greene

Comment

Originally posted by li7039 View Post
              Theres a ton of pics of it on Zack Hamples snaging baseballs blog. he went there for the last rays series last year
              LOL...we were both at Guilford College at the same time and played ball together there. Is he on this site?

Comment

My son has played in a soccer tournament at Wide World of Sports the past two Januarys. There is always a baseball tournament going on at the same time so we always catch game or two.

It is a fabulous facilty. Guess I didn't realize that minor elague baseball has struggled there.
                "Smith corks it into right, down the line. It may go...........Go crazy folks! Go crazy! Jack Buck

Comment

When I get home, I'll show you what it looks like during a monsoon.

I have pictures of my son's team being introduced during the 9U nationals there. It was pouring and hilarious ......

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X