No announcement yet.

Proposed Wrigley Field Renovation/Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hope both Wrigley and Fenway aren't gone in the future.Both are the only classic ballparks left,unless we count ballparks like Dodgers Stadium classic:lightbulb:
    sigpic

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by King Crimson View Post
      unless we count ballparks like Dodgers Stadium classic:lightbulb:
      Some of us do.

Others around here consider it a crime.

Comment

• Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
        Some of us do.

Others around here consider it a crime.
        If Dodger Stadium is a classic, then so is Angels Stadium, so is Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, and so was Shea Stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach Bombay View Post
          If Dodger Stadium is a classic, then so is Angels Stadium, so is Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, and so was Shea Stadium.
          True.I don't think any of them are classic ballparks.
          sigpic

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Coach Bombay View Post
            Define "classic ballpark"
            I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
            - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
              Define "classic ballpark"
              A ballpark older than 40 years old with a considerable amount of history that has a unique shape and unique features.
              Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

Comment

• Originally posted by baseballman1243 View Post
                A ballpark older than 40 years old with a considerable amount of history that has a unique shape and unique features.
                I think Dodger Stadium now qualifies.

Though I don't believe any other parks built after 1962 will qualify in the next 20 years.

The other CA parks will never qualify IMO due to a lack of history and uniqueness in design.

The HOK era has a long way to go.

Comment

• Would Kauffman qualify then?

Comment

• Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                    I think Dodger Stadium now qualifies.

Though I don't believe any other parks built after 1962 will qualify in the next 20 years.

The other CA parks will never qualify IMO due to a lack of history and uniqueness in design.

The HOK era has a long way to go.
                    Yankee Stadium will almost deffinitly qualify in 40 years. Even though some people hate it. I think it's pretty unique, will most likely have alot of history.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by baseballman1243 View Post
                      Works for me
                      I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                      - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
                        Yankee Stadium will almost deffinitly qualify in 40 years. Even though some people hate it. I think it's pretty unique, will most likely have alot of history.
                        No doubt about it.

It's a perfect bookend to this ballpark reneisance era that started with OPCY.

Sure other ballparks have yet to arrive, but nothing else is going to blow us away like OPCY in 92 and NYS 09.

Comment

• Bleed Cubbie Blue reports further work on Wrigley, including the removal of some of that terrible concrete on the RF exterior:

Comment

• hmm, where is the Chicago version of Gary D...

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
                              How exactly can a park that is by definition a ripoff of the renovated version of another park be considered unique?

Removing the concrete, thank GOD. It made Wrigley look so ugly, so 70s. Now the question is whether the renovation will put up a fake brick exterior to make it seem old-timey, or if it will go skeletal like Wrigley originally was.
                              http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean O View Post
                                How exactly can a park that is by definition a ripoff of the renovated version of another park be considered unique?

Removing the concrete, thank GOD. It made Wrigley look so ugly, so 70s. Now the question is whether the renovation will put up a fake brick exterior to make it seem old-timey, or if it will go skeletal like Wrigley originally was.
                                Unique as in it has a large limestone exterior, not brick and steel with green seats and fake nooks and crannies in the outfield.

Instead of having a squared grandstand that is separated by gaps, it is a curving grandstand that is all one piece.

It has symmetrical bleachers, bullpens, scoreboards and ads with a nice monument park in centerfield instead of a large scoreboard in left field with all sorts of games and attractions or a home run porch in right.

It is built right into the neighborhood, squeezed between apartments and the subway line instead of in the middle of a parking lot.

The Yankees could have easily built what the Braves, Rockies, Astros, Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Cardinals, Giants, Mariners, and Rangers have. A brick and steel stadium based on Ebbets. But they built a unique and magestic limestone Stadium.

Yankee Stadium is not a rip-off, but a modern stadium influenced by the team's former home.
                                Last edited by threeyoda; 02-01-2010, 12:53 PM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X