Proposed Wrigley Field Renovation/Makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean O View Post
    I should clarify, I don't think electronic scoreboards are going anywhere, I just think they'll change. The ribbon boards are all over the place in stadiums these days, and that seems like a better overall way to show a large number of ads.

I was surprised that NYS didn't put in fully electronic ad boards on the outfield. Why bother selling a piece of painted vinyl to a single sponsor when you can sell an electronic version to a dozen?
    I think you answered your own question there, your vinyl ad is always there to see, but your ribbon board ad comes every 12th ad and with score updates, bouncing logos, and birthday updates it might not even be the 12th thing you see on the ribbon boards.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
      any place the strawman can come in and weep about OYS being torn down he will
      his dramatics in the YAnkee demolition thread are comical
      Basically Mets fans (started by him) should start a OYS shoulder to cry on thread :hissyfit:
      I came on here to see the new plans for wrigley and cub fans opinions
      But he finds a way to get OYS being torn down in every thread
      Excellent observation. His dramatics are WAY over the top and only suckers are falling for it. It's the typical Met fan misery talking. Here's a guy who said that the ads in Citi Field don't bother him and that he barely notices them when at Citi - or turns a blind eye to them. Go figure.

He follows a crappola team that's been in the league a long 50+ years, yet you'd think they came into the league yesterday, the way they lack ANY semblance of history and pride. They are dysfunctional from top to bottom. The team's ownership even honors another team over their own.

Trust me, Strawman feels no pain over the Yanks or RYS. He's all pained out over the Mets and has become resistant to it. All Strawman is just trying to do is jab a knife and twist it into those Yankee fan who are truly bothered by RYS going down, as we all are to some extent, even if only because of memories. He's attempting to rain on all 27 parades. The last one must be eating him up - the Yankees winning it all in their new home, while his team grows more dysfunctional by the day, while adding new tacky ads at a record pace to their ballpark. THAT'S what truly bothers him.

Anyway, I dedicate this to Strawman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9B-ZoS0wvU

(Sorry for going off-topic, but this crowbarring anti-Yanee crap into every thread, by the same people, is becoming ridiculous).
      Last edited by Rob R; 01-19-2010, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Yankee Stadium in 3010

For the few phony sentimentalists out there:

Comment

I think those pods made up...what, 5% of the square footage of the entire stadium?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
            I think those pods made up...what, 5% of the square footage of the entire stadium?
            And if they put a sculpture of Joan Rivers' face over the Statue of Liberty, what would it be? Like 5% of the square footage? Or how about a putting disco ball in place of the torch? It's only what, 2%? No biggie!

In case you don't know, that 5% pod used to be Gate 4 - the grandest entrance in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by SirBLaUghs View Post
              I didn't think there was anything wrong with the old Yankee stadium for them to make a new one. It's all about making money let's be serious here. Before all of the Yankee fans attack me im going to state that Shea needed to be gone as it was an outdated 60's styled stadium much like all of the 60's styled stadiums are GONE from this Earth.

Now I'm happy that they are renovating Wrigley instead of making a new doublemint stadium :ooo:. Baseball needs to preserve some classics, which are Wrigley, Fenway & Dodger stadium.
              What's so classic about Dodger Stadium? It's only a few years older than me. If Dodger Stadium is classic than so is Angel Stadium and the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum. And so was Shea Stadium and Busch Stadium, before they were bulldozed.
              Last edited by Coach Bombay; 01-19-2010, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Bombay View Post
                What's so classic about Dodger Stadium? It's only a few years older than me. If Dodger Stadium is classic than so is Angel Stadium and the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum. And so was Shea Stadium and Busch Stadium, before they were bulldozed.
                Sadly they are, they remind us of a time before and during the cookie cutter craze. I teach high school history and to me history is history no matter how it looks. Also as we go on and these stadiums from the 60s and 70s start to be demolished, the few we have left are precious. Just think there was a time where no one wanted an obstructed view ballpark now we treasure them.
                The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                  Good for the Cubbies, wish the Yankees did something like this
                  Thank you. Very eloquent, on the money and straight to the point. I'm going to print this out and paste it on my refrigerator.
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Bombay View Post
                    What's so classic about Dodger Stadium? It's only a few years older than me.
                    I'm gonna guess that you haven't been Chavez Ravine.

DS is a classic because it’s symbolic of baseball's golden age (which IMO was in the 50s).

Nothing else like it was ever built before or since. Nearly all of the parks that followed were multipurpose facilities.

Forget the fact that DS has too many seats today and it's surrounded by parking lots and not a street scene. Screw public transit b/c we're talking about LA, not any other town.

Think of DS as a trophy to the automobile era, the babyboom, and our global economic dominance in the post WWII years; the way Grand Central station was the crown jewel of the railroad era.

Oh and BTW, DS is still a very comfortable place to watch baseball.
                    Last edited by RfkFedEx; 01-19-2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                      Also as we go on and these stadiums from the 60s and 70s start to be demolished, the few we have left are precious. Just think there was a time where no one wanted an obstructed view ballpark now we treasure them.
                      That's why I cherish RFK here in Washington, despite it having little significance in the grand scheme of MLB history.

It was the first and now last of its kind. It allowed people to see and pee like no other MLB venue before it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                        Thank you. Very eloquent, on the money and straight to the point. I'm going to print this out and paste it on my refrigerator.
                        I keep it Manhattan-esque when I can
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rob R View Post
                          And if they put a sculpture of Joan Rivers' face over the Statue of Liberty, what would it be? Like 5% of the square footage? Or how about a putting disco ball in place of the torch? It's only what, 2%? No biggie!

In case you don't know, that 5% pod used to be Gate 4 - the grandest entrance in baseball.
                          If they put a sculpture of Joan rivers face on the Statue of Liberty, I'd say that the 5% is ugly but the rest is still beautiful. Ugly pods doesn't necessarily make the entire stadium ugly.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                            I'm gonna guess that you haven't been Chavez Ravine.

DS is a classic because it’s symbolic of baseball's golden age (which IMO was in the 50s).

Nothing else like it was ever built before or since. Nearly all of the parks that followed were multipurpose facilities.

Forget the fact that DS has too many seats today and it's surrounded by parking lots and not a street scene. Screw public transit b/c we're talking about LA, not any other town.

Think of DS as a trophy to the automobile era, the babyboom, and our global economic dominance in the post WWII years; the way Grand Central station was the crown jewel of the railroad era.

Oh and BTW, DS is still a very comfortable place to watch baseball.
                            It's a great place to watch a game, especially an evening game in the summer. Some areas of the park are out of date, but, overall, it still looks good.

Comment

hats off to the cubs organization for doing this. maybe he steinbrenners could have gone this route instead of being greedy and building a sad replica of its predecessor.
                              www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                                hats off to the cubs organization for doing this. maybe he steinbrenners could have gone this route instead of being greedy and building a sad replica of its predecessor.
                                You're 100% right Joe - this actually reminds me of the (in retrospect) wonderful preservationist plan commissioned by the Bronx Borough President before the team made the decision to take the wrecking ball to history.

Wonder if the same architects worked on both plans - really quite similar, taking one side of the historic structure and adding space for retail, food, museum and such there....very cool.
                                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X