Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Coach Bombay View Post
    That's not the point.
    Sure it is - Tino's right. That place is redolent in late-50s, California car culture - it anticipated the go-go 60s, sure, but hit the architect's drawing board in '58-59.

And in its own way, Dodger Stadium is now a classic ... with so many new parks, it's a real throwback. Also a great place to watch a game.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

That's not the point.
      Hey Coach B, just curious. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I think our differences may be a generational thing which I can understand.

I'm 32 in case you were wondering.

Comment

That's not the point.
        It's not your point.

Dodger Stadium was created, in vision, style and planning, in the late 1950s. In fact, it was supposed to be completed in time for the 1960 season. I agree that Dodger Stadium was born out of the culture, architecture and ideals of the 1950s.

The same way that the cookie-cutters that opened in 1970 and '71 were part of the vision, culture, architecture and ideals of the 1960s.
        Last edited by jnakamura; 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM.
        I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
        - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
          Hey Coach B, just curious. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I think our differences may be a generational thing which I can understand.

I'm 32 in case you were wondering.
          I'm 10 years older than you, 42

Comment

• Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
            It's not your point.

Dodger Stadium was created, in vision, style and planning, in the late 1950s. In fact, it was supposed to be completed in time for the 1960 season. I agree that Dodger Stadium was born out of the culture, architecture and ideals of the 1950s.

The same way that the cookie-cutters that opened in 1970 and '71 were part of the vision, culture, architecture and ideals of the 1960s.
            Great, but what does that have to do with this discussion? Dodger Stadium still has nothing to do with "Golden Age" of baseball, which actually ended when the Brooklyn Dodgers bolted to LA.
            Last edited by Coach Bombay; 01-20-2010, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• I always considered to Golden Age to be the time period prior to the 4 division era, so 1901-1968....not sure if thats a universal idea or just my way of classifying eras:twocents:
              sigpic

Comment

Great, but what does that have to do with this discussion? Dodger Stadium still has nothing to do with "Golden Age" of baseball, which actually ended when the Brooklyn Dodgers bolted to LA.
                It's perfectly germane - Wrigley and Fenway have been posited as the clear remaining "classic" ballparks in MLB, now that the Yankees are ripping theirs down. The suggestion was made that perhaps Dodger Stadium, now the third oldest, should be considered a late classic. I agree, to a degree.

You disagreed that it represents high-50s California culture - bunch of us disagreed. All relevant, my friend!

BTW, the wonderful TV series "Baseball's Golden Age" featured color film from the 1930s through the 1960s. Just one example.
                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

"Golden age" and "classic" are two different things.

The "Golden age" of television was the 1950s, yet ALL IN THE FAMILY is considered is considered one of the all-time classic tv series.

Just because Dodger Stadium wasn't built in 1915 doesn't mean it isn't considered my most people as a classic ballpark at this point.
                  I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                  - Walt Whitman

Comment

• Dodgers Stadium should be grouped with Angels Stadium and Kauffman Stadium more so then Fenway and Wrigley IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                      It's perfectly germane - Wrigley and Fenway have been posited as the clear remaining "classic" ballparks in MLB, now that the Yankees are ripping theirs down. The suggestion was made that perhaps Dodger Stadium, now the third oldest, should be considered a late classic. I agree, to a degree.

You disagreed that it represents high-50s California culture - bunch of us disagreed. All relevant, my friend!

BTW, the wonderful TV series "Baseball's Golden Age" featured color film from the 1930s through the 1960s. Just one example.
                      No I did not. I never mentioned 50's culture or architecture like others seem to keep bringing up, I've been talking about baseball "Golden Age" which I consider 1920 until 1960. Dodger Stadium opened in 1962. If Dodger Stadium is going to be mentioned with the likes of Wrigley and Fenway, so should Candlestick Park, Angel Stadium, Oakland Colosseum.
                      Last edited by Coach Bombay; 01-20-2010, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
                        Dodgers Stadium should be grouped with Angels Stadium and Kauffman Stadium more so then Fenway and Wrigley IMO.
                        I agree. Similar time period and architecture. All three originally built only for baseball.

Comment

• The three stadiums will become the historic stadiums once Fenway and Wrigley are gone. WHich wouldnt be anytime soon I guess.

Comment

• None of this has anything to do with the Wrigley Renovations.

Can I get an amen?

Or a moderator at least? I understand they all went to Myrtle Beach to check out some timeshares, but someone's gotta have the innernetz on their CrackBerry?
                            No one can make you
                            Do what they want to
                            You know you're stronger
                            Than the lies
                            That they tell you

Comment

• Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
                              None of this has anything to do with the Wrigley Renovations.

Can I get an amen?

Or a moderator at least? I understand they all went to Myrtle Beach to check out some timeshares, but someone's gotta have the innernetz on their CrackBerry?

Only problem about a thread like this...the renovations won't be done for another 5 years!!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post

Only problem about a thread like this...the renovations won't be done for another 5 years!!!!
                                I was hoping for some more renderings of the project. I wonder what the interior of that triangle building will look like.
                                No one can make you
                                Do what they want to
                                You know you're stronger
                                Than the lies
                                That they tell you

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X