Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul W
    replied
    new, new, new, new, gotta have new! new! new!
    the mania continues...

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
    The Cubs aren't suffering because of the rooftop seats, they're suffering because they're stuck in a run-down, cramped, obsolete park that the OWNERS of those seats are trying to keep them from renovating and expanding. (To put it another way: If you were an All-Star-caliber player, would you want to play for the Cubs, in an environment like that?) That's the difference.
    They got Alou, Derrik lee, Matt Garza, and Carlos Pena in their prime to come there.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    Yankee Stadium in the 90's was a better ballpark than Wrigley is now. At least it wasn't falling apart, the clubhouse and the weight room weren't the size of a broom closet, and the batting cage wasn't under the bleachers.

Leave a comment:

• jnakamura
    replied
    The Cubs aren't suffering because of the rooftop seats, they're suffering because they're stuck in a run-down, cramped, obsolete park
    The Yankees did pretty well from 1996 on playing in a run-down, cramped obsolete park. What's the Cubs excuse again?

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    I can't tell if you're joking but one of the most profitable teams in the country doesn't appear to be suffering because of seats across the street from the stadium.
    The Cubs aren't suffering because of the rooftop seats, they're suffering because they're stuck in a run-down, cramped, obsolete park that the OWNERS of those seats are trying to keep them from renovating and expanding. (To put it another way: If you were an All-Star-caliber player, would you want to play for the Cubs, in an environment like that?) That's the difference.

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    They should never have signed that contract in the first place. The Cubs should be able to do whatever they want with the park. Those rooftop people really need to be taken down a peg. The team is suffering because of them.
    I can't tell if you're joking but one of the most profitable teams in the country doesn't appear to be suffering because of seats across the street from the stadium.

Currently Forbes has them as the 4 most valuable team at an estimated 1 Billion:
    http://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Laser Beam
    replied
    Originally posted by mdseverin View Post
    The rooftop owners have a contract with the Cubs. They pay them 17% of their revenue and in return the Cubs do not block their view.
    They should never have signed that contract in the first place. The Cubs should be able to do whatever they want with the park. Those rooftop people really need to be taken down a peg. The team is suffering because of them.

Leave a comment:

• mdseverin
    replied
    It's pretty easy to get tickets now. They have Groupon offerings all the time or you can purchase from their websites. I go to one atleast once a year as a copany outing. They are fun, but more social than anything. Very few sit and watch the entire game. Tickets include all you can eat and drink

As far as billboards, that's the whole fight right now. The rooftop owners have a contract with the Cubs. They pay them 17% of their revenue and in return the Cubs do not block their view.

Leave a comment:

• StanTheMan
    replied
    To offer some perspective, some of the rooftop seats are closer to the plate than some of the right center field outfield seats at Fenway.

No numbers here, but you could measure distances on Google Earth easily.
    Last edited by StanTheMan; 05-16-2013, 05:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• gmtobehere
    replied
    Originally posted by texas View Post
    Tell me more about the seats on top of the buildings...how do you get tickets for those? What if the Cubs put up a big billboard that blocked those views?
    I think the Cubs should put up a big billboard. I don't see what right these people have to freeload on the Cubs. It's not their product. It's the Cubs/MLB's.

Leave a comment:

• texas
    replied
    Tell me more about the seats on top of the buildings...how do you get tickets for those? What if the Cubs put up a big billboard that blocked those views?

Leave a comment:

• Chevy114
    replied
    I would love to stay at that hotel, but I bet it will be an arm and a leg for years.

Leave a comment:

• mdseverin
    replied
    More renderings of the plaza in the triangle space.

75934338.jpg

75934341.jpg

The clock tower building in the first picture would be Cubs offices.

The brick builing in the second picture is the hotel. Wrigley Field currently has ice skating during the winter. It looks like this newer tradition will continue
    Last edited by mdseverin; 05-16-2013, 07:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    that dreaded wall, haging scaffolding on the a.l. side and the trees, winter '51.
    couldn't have those out there now, you know why (burp)...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul W; 05-15-2013, 07:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by texas View Post
    I know ivy on the walls is a famous part of the park, but I think they're pretty much the only park pretty much without padding in the outfield. Any chance they could put padding that ivy could grow on? Or do some sort of cool brick/ivy graphic that would look good and still be soft for outfielders?
    oh dear, the dreaded brick wall.
    even with state-of-the-art places designers still can't come up with the perfect bubble yet.
    earlier in the week, one of the newly designed walls in la drew blood from superstar kid bryce harper.
    don't see scenes like this too often at wrigley.
    things aren't much different than the days of pete reiser (look 'em up)...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X