Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chase Field / Bank One Ballpark

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chase Field / Bank One Ballpark

    As a D-Backs fan since day 1, I've been to Chase Field/Bank One Ballpark all these years. And even though it's home to my favorite MLB team, the stadum is a bit bland. I was wondering what you guys think of the stadium, and if there is anything you would change about the stadium. I would like to see a more asymetrical outfield, but the pool remains. What do you think?

    Yes I've taken photos there. If you want, I'll post my favories.

  • #2
    I'm a D'Backs fan since '98, although I live in NJ. I'd dress up the concourses more, open up the outfield area making it more like Citi Field and get rid of the advertising panels in the outfield and make them glass (although they'd still open). To replace the advertising panels, I'd integrate the sponsorships into areas of the ballpark. Above the AZ Diamond Club restaurant in right put a "US Airways Flight Deck" and have a neon US Airways sign and like first class seats from the planes and make it into a deck like the Budweiser terrace in right at Fenway. Then do similar things with the other sponsors that would be relocated. Also I'd repaint the roof because you can see where they covered up the old BOB signs.

    More extremely, I'd knock out the center field and make it appear more open to Downtown. Knock down the Garagemahal and develop that land.

    Comment


    • #3
      photos.... All are from Flickr


      (courtesy of "KPOB". link)


      (courtesy of "lasertrimman". link)


      (courtesy of "Gary P. Smith". link)


      (courtesy of "Lohawk.com". link)

      Last edited by brewerfan386; 06-20-2010, 11:52 PM.
      Ik heb een intense liefde voor de brouwers

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't think a more asymmetrical outfield would work in Chase Field. The ballpark structure is symmetrical, and it would look strange to not have the field mirror it.

        The fault with this place is that there's not much that screams 'Arizona' or 'snakes' or 'desert.' One thing I would like to see them do is add some color to the place. It's pretty dark and depressing as it is in there. Maybe a dark red wall would add some team colors to the place, or maybe a sandstone-colored backstop. There's too much dark green in the outfield. Otherwise, this is an excellent place to see a game in air conditioned comfort (We sure are jealous of that around here)

        When I was there, the old scoreboard looked really bad, but they put the new one in next year. One thing I like is scoreboards with big team logos on the top (i.e. Nationals Park, Turner Field, Coors Field), and there's really no prominent D-backs logo in the entire place
        1997 2003
        Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

        Comment


        • #5
          Seems like they employed the same prideless policy that the Mets ownership did with Citifield.

          Love the huge outfield and the overhangs in center.
          :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

          Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
          Thanks Sandy Alderson.

          Comment


          • #6
            At the risk of sounding like an old fuddy-duddy, what's the point of the pool in the outfield? I mean, who comes to the ballpark in a bathing suit? Is it only for private parties, or can anyone use it? I guess you gotta have a gimmick, and the pool is a good gimmick, since every time you see a game there, the visiting team's announcers make reference to it, but judging by how small it is, there can't be more than a handful of fans who ever use it.

            I agree with marlins739 above. You've got a team that really has something unique in baseball in the form of the desert surroundings, and you've got nothing but generic green seats, green walls, green metalwork, etc. The stands in the far corner outfields seem to disappear into the gloaming. There's no notion that this park is in Arizona. Heck, a cactus or two would be nice.

            Comment


            • #7
              Congratulations to Robinson Cano on winning the Home Run Derby with a real fireworks show. Can't wait to see the All-Star game tomorrow!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Robinson Cano electrified the BOB with his home runs like Luis Gonzalez did with a single nearly ten years ago:

                Last edited by JohnCropp; 07-12-2011, 05:23 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here are some more images from the last time Phoenix was the center of the baseball universe:



                  Last edited by JohnCropp; 07-12-2011, 05:30 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This would . . . be my favorite ballpark, if I lived there. But I don't . . .so? . . .
                    Some's basturds, some's ain't, thats the score.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Doesn't impress me at all. I hate ballparks that look like very large convention halls from the outside.

                      Does this look like a building that hosts Major League Baseball games?

                      Last edited by Coach Bombay; 07-12-2011, 09:27 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by WallyPipp View Post
                        At the risk of sounding like an old fuddy-duddy, what's the point of the pool in the outfield? I mean, who comes to the ballpark in a bathing suit? Is it only for private parties, or can anyone use it? I guess you gotta have a gimmick, and the pool is a good gimmick, since every time you see a game there, the visiting team's announcers make reference to it, but judging by how small it is, there can't be more than a handful of fans who ever use it.
                        I'll be one to admit I love the idea of the pool. Two of my favorite summer past times--swimming and baseball, all rolled into one. It's like the Seinfeld episode where George tries to introduce the concept of sex and eating at the same time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
                          The fault with this place is that there's not much that screams 'Arizona' or 'snakes' or 'desert.' One thing I would like to see them do is add some color to the place. It's pretty dark and depressing as it is in there. Maybe a dark red wall would add some team colors to the place, or maybe a sandstone-colored backstop. There's too much dark green in the outfield. Otherwise, this is an excellent place to see a game in air conditioned comfort (We sure are jealous of that around here)
                          I agree, it needs more color to represent the area and team. If you look at the Chase Field logo, it incorporates a burnt red color framework. I would paint all the metal framework in the stadium that same color red. I would also make the outfield wall black and then the backstop should be desert colored stones similar to what is by the pool area. I would also use those stones on the two concrete sections currently painted green that flank the scoreboard and are above the yellow home run line in the outfield.

                          I like the idea of replacing the outfield ads with windows, but that is a major source of revenue. I would like to see them convert it to windows, but use a large decal for the ad. That way you can still see out the most of the window and still get the corporate logo's.

                          The place is huge. Chase Field seats more than 49k, way too big for that market. I would probably take a few rows of seats out in the upper deck.
                          Last edited by mdseverin; 07-12-2011, 08:26 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mdseverin View Post
                            I agree, it needs more color to represent the area and team. If you look at the Chase Field logo, it incorporates a burnt red color framework. I would paint all the metal framework in the stadium that same color red. I would also make the outfield wall black and then the backstop should be desert colored stones similar to what is by the pool area. I would also use those stones on the two concrete sections currently painted green that flank the scoreboard and are above the yellow home run line in the outfield.

                            I like the idea of replacing the outfield ads with windows, but that is a major source of revenue. I would like to see them convert it to windows, but use a large decal for the ad. That way you can still see out the most of the window and still get the corporate logo's.

                            The place is huge. Chase Field seats more than 49k, way too big for that market. I would probably take a few rows of seats out in the upper deck.
                            Noticed this last night, the upper deck is huge.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I've only been there one time, but that one time was the first official game ever played there, March 31, 1998. I sat in the last row of the upper deck, and that is a really large upper deck. My ticket stub shows that I was in row 32 which was quite a hike up those stairs.

                              I'd love to go back and see how the ballpark has changed. It has gone through a name change and a change in the team's color scheme, so I would imagine that the changes are quite extensive.
                              Attached Files
                              Rockies fan living in Texas

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X