Worst parks you've seen a game in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst parks you've seen a game in

What, in your opinion, are the worst parks you've seen a game in?

I for one have seen games in Montreal, which everyone said was terrible. However, other than the anitiseptic nature of the park (no personality AT ALL) and the roof that didn't open, I thought it was nice enough. No Yankee Stadium, of course.

The worst MLB park, that I've been to, is Shea Stadium. The upper deck is so highly sloped that you can't fit your feet flat on the ground because the seat in front of you is in the way. The sight lines are terrible, the cheesy fake apple in the top hat is annoying, the parking is awful (and mass transit isn't as easily accessible as at YS), and AIRPLANES FLY OVER EVERY THIRTY SECONDS. Absolutely awful place to watch a ballgame.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

For the record, Shea Stadium was NOT one of the cookie cutter stadiums. It was modeled after the beautiful Dodger Stadium. Anyway, I go to about 20 Mets games a year at Shea Stadium, and as someone posted before, it is like an old friend. It has a beautiful field, and every seat in the stadium has a good view. The concession stands are great, but the bathrooms aren't so great (what do you expect).

Yankee Stadium is by far the most overrated stadium in baseball. First of all, it's in a terrible neighborhood, so you're not going to get that friendly neighborhood feeling when you go there. Not that Shea Stadium is in the middle of the city, but at least you can be certain that your car will be there after the game. Even though some might say that the outside of Shea Stadium is tacky, the outside of Yankee Stadium is just plain ugly. Also, the inside of Yankee Stadium is like a cave system. The bleachers are falling apart. All in all, despite the great history about the famous players, and dominant Yankee teams, the Stadium itself is nothing special.
    ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
    ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

yankee stadium

HELLO if i had the choice of going to YANKEE STADIUM or SHEA STADIUM i would go to YANKEE STADIUM ANY DAY over shea. I think that the rivally BETWEEN THE METS FANS AND YANKEE fans are great. I can get a idea on how things were way back when the GIANTS AND DODGERS were in NEW YORK. AND yes the area around YANKEE STADIUM is not the best. BUT as i HAVE said before if the YANKEES still can play at yankee stadium the GIANTS or METS still could be playing across the river at THE POLO GROUNDS. take care all DONALD DETROIT MI
      LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Well, as you like to say, "I haven't been there, but people have told me" that the Polo Grounds was a terrible stadium. So, I'm glad the Mets play in Shea Stadium. BEN NEW YORK NY
        ~MOE

Moonlight Graham
        ...one game, no at-bats...

RisingApple.com

Comment

Originally posted by Donnybrook @ Second base
          I guess Grand Central station is really hard to get to. The #7 train directly links with every line except the A/C/E line. It is a cross town train.
          Seeing as how I live on the ACE line... well, draw your own conclusions.

I have seen barefoot homeless crackheads on the #4 while going to Yankee Stadium, and the parking is quite awful.
          I have homeless crackheads (not barefoot, mind you) sleeping outside my front door every day. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. And if you try to park at Yankee Stadium, that's your own fault. Parking's not great at MSG either, but nobody complains about that.
          "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
            Parking's not great at MSG either, but nobody complains about that.
            Wait wait wait--now you're talking about the part of New York I've actually been to. With MSG and the Hotel Pennsylvania right next to each other, is there actually any parking there? I just remember seeing a lot of restaurants and taxis.

Comment

polo grounds

Originally posted by moebarguy
              Well, as you like to say, "I haven't been there, but people have told me" that the Polo Grounds was a terrible stadium. So, I'm glad the Mets play in Shea Stadium. BEN NEW YORK NY
              HELLO you have the right to your opinuion like anybody else but your comment about the polo grounds is one that i would expect from someone your age. DONALD DETROIT MI
              LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

Originally posted by Aegis
                Wait wait wait--now you're talking about the part of New York I've actually been to. With MSG and the Hotel Pennsylvania right next to each other, is there actually any parking there? I just remember seeing a lot of restaurants and taxis.
                There's a few parking garages and lots in the area (there's a garage on 32nd street just the other side of eighth avenue from the Garden, and a few lots within a couple blocks... for reference, the Hotel Pennsylvania is on Seventh Avenue between 33rd and 34th streets, so I'm talking the other side of MSG from there), but they've got very, VERY few spots, and parking fees will cost you at least $45 for the few hours while you're there watching a game, so it's unadvisable.

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

A little known secret is to park on 27TH at F.I.T. you can park on the street and it has campus security so you car is safe.

Comment

Start spreadin' the news!

I have never been to a night game at the Stadium, coming from 100 miles away. However, I get there real early for day games and park in the top row( outside) of the garage. The barbecue grills are goin' with many people playing catch/whiffleball. A great atmosphere. As I get to only 3/4 Yankee games a year, I'm in no rush to leave. After the game, hit a few shops under the el. I savor the rumbling of the elevated! Many new stadiums, including Citizen's Bank Park, are obviously nice but alot of the "atmosphere" is forced. Of course, there's the Chairman of the Board (not Whitey Ford) singing New York, New York after an evil dynasty win!
                    Whitey Ashburn's free plug on radio when he was hungry...." Happy birthday to the Celebrese twins....Plain and Pepperoni. "

Comment

Growing up at Riverfront, I saw Reds and Bengals. My love for the game and my teams, it was the most beautiful thing my eyes had seen. Moved, had tickets to Astros in the Astrodome. Same-cookie-cutter-thing. I thought this was how sports was played...such a sheltered life. :noidea Then I saw Minute Maid-Astros and it was incredible. I know this is a baseball forum, but I have seen several Texans games at Reliant--holy cow!!

Upper deck Riverfront, because of circle, you feel like you are mile high and mile out. Reliant is a rectangle, sure you may be a mile up but you are on top of the field and you feel right on top of the action...same with Alamodome--saw many Spurs games and saw this year's Alamo Bowl game, Buckeyes vs. osu Cowboys. Minute Maid park--I dont think there is a bad seat in the house. The seats are very closed in and close to the field as oppose to sitting upper deck CF at Riverfront; you feel like you might be in Kentucky.

Just my perspective of it all.

Comment

wrigley field is the worst, concrete falling down crappy food no parking and tight seats. let alone the whinning cub fans.

Comment

RFK Stadium

Originally posted by Donnybrook @ Second base
                          It is isn't great but it is like an old friend. I take offense to people taking pot shots at it.
                          Easy for me to understand. Robert F. Kennedy Stadium will be used the next three years as home of the Washington Nationals. Renovations are currently underway. The experience for the fan will be spartan and utilitarian from the way things look.

RFK was the first cookie cutter, commissioned as D.C. Stadium back in the fifties and began use in '61 with the Redskins ('til '96) and the Senators '62-'71. Currently the MSL champion D.C. United play there and will continue to do so. The experience there will have many of the same drawbacks seemingly inherent with that style stadium. Steep outfield seating, bland, I'm certain the bathrooms won't be a charmer. But its only temporary, new stadium scheduled to open in 2008. They could play in cow pasture while wearing the pink tutus for all I care at this point.

Nothing real quirky, a couple characteristics distinguish it: no lower outfield seating or bleachers, the stadium viewed from the exterior looks like a floppy hat. The first base side visitors dugout will be smaller than the home dugout. The third base dugout was removed over the years and needs to be rebuilt.

Comment

Originally posted by redrose14
                            Growing up at Riverfront, I saw Reds and Bengals. My love for the game and my teams, it was the most beautiful thing my eyes had seen. Moved, had tickets to Astros in the Astrodome. Same-cookie-cutter-thing. I thought this was how sports was played...such a sheltered life. :noidea Then I saw Minute Maid-Astros and it was incredible. I know this is a baseball forum, but I have seen several Texans games at Reliant--holy cow!!

Upper deck Riverfront, because of circle, you feel like you are mile high and mile out. Reliant is a rectangle, sure you may be a mile up but you are on top of the field and you feel right on top of the action...same with Alamodome--saw many Spurs games and saw this year's Alamo Bowl game, Buckeyes vs. osu Cowboys. Minute Maid park--I dont think there is a bad seat in the house. The seats are very closed in and close to the field as oppose to sitting upper deck CF at Riverfront; you feel like you might be in Kentucky.

Just my perspective of it all.
                            The Riverfront bleachers weren't so accomodating if you wanted to see the action. That's one thing they did take care of when they built Great American. But the seats are not comfortable at all. It's almost a wash in that respect.
                            Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                            Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                            Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                            Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                            Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Getting around on the ACE line might be a bit harder now... how does a homeless man lighting a fire in a tunnel to keep warm destroy an entire subway line for FIVE YEARS?

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X