Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst parks you've seen a game in

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It is for Donald.
    sigpic

    D-Rex!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
      I haven't been to New Comiskey since 1991, however after seeing everyone's pictures of the park post-renovations I think it looks nice.

      Have they done anything to improve the neighborhood by New Comiskey? Back in the early 90's it was pretty ghetto.
      Here's what's happening:

      http://tandemdevelopers.com/bridgeportstationlofts/

      http://www.parkboulevardchicago.com/index.asp

      And, there are more developments on the way, so I'd say the area is improving.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Onemoredayatshea27 View Post
        It is for Donald.

        You mean Donald Dump?

        Comment


        • He's edgy when it comes to new ballparks. The problem is, that all ballparks don't last forever.
          sigpic

          D-Rex!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by soxnut67 View Post
            Here's what's happening:

            http://tandemdevelopers.com/bridgeportstationlofts/

            http://www.parkboulevardchicago.com/index.asp

            And, there are more developments on the way, so I'd say the area is improving.

            Oh, and this one too:
            http://www.parkboulevardchicago.com/index.asp

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Onemoredayatshea27 View Post
              He's edgy when it comes to new ballparks. The problem is, that all ballparks don't last forever.

              Yeah, he is edgy. And I loved the old ballparks too. They had their time, but I love the new parks as well.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by soxnut67 View Post
                060807_20571[1].JPG


                My pic of the new housing from the lf ramp of the ballpark.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Onemoredayatshea27 View Post
                  It is for Donald.
                  Listen to all. i have been on this forum for a while and do realize that some people here just love to stir stuff up even when they are wrong.i have the correct opinion on this subject because of the fact i was at the ballpark and i know people who work covering games there for the newspaper. I will not post again to this thread so other people can just stirr things up.everyone has the right to there opinion once again regardless of the opinion being right or wrong.so i am done posting here unless something new is posted everyone.:twocents:
                  LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957 View Post
                    Listen to all. i have been on this forum for a while and do realize that some people here just love to stir stuff up even when they are wrong.i have the correct opinion on this subject because of the fact i was at the ballpark and i know people who work covering games there for the newspaper. I will not post again to this thread so other people can just stirr things up.everyone has the right to there opinion once again regardless of the opinion being right or wrong.so i am done posting here unless something new is posted everyone.:twocents:
                    The only one that has been stirring stuff up is you. All you do is tell people that their opinion is wrong. Nobody else but you comes on here and says such things. We are all aware that people have different opinions and that we all don't agree, but we don't call people wrong. I think I am not alone in saying to you, don't let the door hit your behind on the way out. :applaud:
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                      The only one that has been stirring stuff up is you. All you do is tell people that their opinion is wrong. Nobody else but you comes on here and says such things. We are all aware that people have different opinions and that we all don't agree, but we don't call people wrong. I think I am not alone in saying to you, don't let the door hit your behind on the way out. :applaud:
                      Thank you. I've been biting my tongue today because otherwise he follows me to other forums getting threads locked that I've posted on. Don't know why he can't just express and opinion without adding in the "but you're wrong part". He doesn't seem to understand that "I like Old Comiskey better because of the atmosphere and history" is much better than "I hate new Comiskey because it's a dump and you're wrong if you thing otherwise". All that and he's NEVER SEEN A GAME at new Comiskey or Comerica.

                      Comment


                      • Ok, now that that is out of the way, How about I give my opinion about New Comiskey. I have not been there since the renovations. I went to a game in 1996 and sat right behind home plate at field level. As far as sitting there, it was a nice place to watch a game. Yes the upper level sucks but they have seemed to have made many improvements since that are very nice. As far as the upper deck, they have done all they can do, barring completely tearing down the upper deck and redesigning it.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                          Thank you. I've been biting my tongue today because otherwise he follows me to other forums getting threads locked that I've posted on. Don't know why he can't just express and opinion without adding in the "but you're wrong part". He doesn't seem to understand that "I like Old Comiskey better because of the atmosphere and history" is much better than "I hate new Comiskey because it's a dump and you're wrong if you thing otherwise". All that and he's NEVER SEEN A GAME at new Comiskey or Comerica.
                          Not trying to be mean, but he must have some type of mental problem. Just my opinion.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                            Well, we'd have to be talking about one charming muthaf***ing ballpark. It would have to be 10 times more charming than that ballpark in "Green Cathedrals."
                            Please don't get me started on "Green Cathedrals." It lost all its credibility when the author blasted Comiskey II. "Instead of discussing what a monstrosity the new Comiskey Park is, let's talk about what the White Sox could have built." (paraphrased) And then there was a writeup of Armour Field, one of the proposed replacements for the original Comiskey.

                            That would be like, in a listing about Citi Field, ignoring what it is and instead discussing what the place might have looked like if New York was awared the 2012 Olympics! (Citi Field would have been the Olympic Stadium, hosting the opening and closing ceremonies)

                            The author is entitled to his opinion, but not in a reference book where people pay good money for facts. And Lowry (the author) does a lot of ranting, especially against the cookie-cutter ballparks.

                            I think Lowry changed the writeup for the revised edition that came out earlier this year, but having been disappointed at the original 1991 or 1992 edition I didn't even bother with the new one.
                            X

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by soxnut67 View Post
                              Not trying to be mean, but he must have some type of mental problem. Just my opinion.
                              I have been to the new stadium in 1991 for the auction to base a opinion and the ballpark ranks near last along side comerica. so since i have been there i can base a opinion. :twocents:
                              Last edited by POLO GROUNDS 1957; 10-23-2007, 08:32 PM.
                              LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                                Please don't get me started on "Green Cathedrals." It lost all its credibility when the author blasted Comiskey II. "Instead of discussing what a monstrosity the new Comiskey Park is, let's talk about what the White Sox could have built." (paraphrased) And then there was a writeup of Armour Field, one of the proposed replacements for the original Comiskey.

                                That would be like, in a listing about Citi Field, ignoring what it is and instead discussing what the place might have looked like if New York was awared the 2012 Olympics! (Citi Field would have been the Olympic Stadium, hosting the opening and closing ceremonies)

                                The author is entitled to his opinion, but not in a reference book where people pay good money for facts. And Lowry (the author) does a lot of ranting, especially against the cookie-cutter ballparks.

                                I think Lowry changed the writeup for the revised edition that came out earlier this year, but having been disappointed at the original 1991 or 1992 edition I didn't even bother with the new one.
                                Actually, Stlfan and I were just doing a play on the "bacon" conversation in Pulp Fiction, where Jules says that a pig would have to be "ten times more charming than that Arnold on 'Green Acres'" to have a personality, but I digress.

                                And you raise an interesting point. Lowry does go overboard on editorializing in "Green Cathedrals", with his rant on New Comiskey Park included. Plus, for some reason he bashes Royals Stadium as being too plain, calling it the "Golden Arches of Ballparks", even though it was probably the best ballpark built in the all of the 1960s and 1970s, and one of the few designed for baseball only in that era.

                                But on the other hand, I do have to give Lowry some credit for the extensive amount of research he did on each ballpark--not only every major league ballpark both past and present, but also every Negro League ballpark as well. With every variation in capacity and field dimensions. In those (((DAYS BEFORE THE INTERNET))), it was about as good as a reference on ballparks as you were going to get. Adding the Field of Dreams as a "major league ballpark" was a little bit much, but I can't say Lowry did a bad job, excessive editorializing nothwithstanding.

                                The book I was somewhat disappointed in was Ira Rosen's "Blue Skies, Green Fields." In his write-up of Baltimore's Memorial Stadium, he essentially said that Baltimorians were not at all sad to see Memorial Stadium go, and that it was easily forgotten after it closed. Quite to the contrary, most Baltimorians were very sad when Memorial Stadium closed for both baseball and football, and the old place has a very special place in Orioles and B-Colts/Ravens fans hearts. So much so that there was a significant attempt to preserve at least part of the old park before it got demolished. Rosen's comments on Memorial Stadium showed he didn't do all the research that he should have--a small survey of Orioles fans would have indicated the love for the place and the sadness that was felt when it closed.
                                Last edited by PeteU; 10-24-2007, 04:48 AM.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X