Worst parks you've seen a game in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst ballpark

By far, the worst I've been to was Olympic. We were there about 45 min. before game time and the area was like a deserted concrete theme park. No one showed till just before the game and then only 7,400 attended. It was like a game in an echo chamber, especially when the fans started beating on the seats. I guess it replaces footstompin' in Canada.The city was fantastic, though. I'd recomend a visit anytime, especially since baseball isn't on the menu there any longer. Great downtown bars and friendly people!
    I see several mentions of Shea. I enjoyed my visit to Shea, but it might have been boosted by our side trip on the 7-train to Manhatten and Mickey Mantle's restaurant. We had seats behind home plate (A friend knew a Pirate pitcher). Two bad experiences....foul balls were captured by overhead nets, taking one from our grasps and the food concourse was terrible. The ushers wouldn't let you stand and watch the game and the food was just medicore.
    It's the journey, not the destination.

Comment

US Cellular Field is terribly underrated. The field view is gorgeous. The backdrop is beautiful. The collage of past and present stars on the upper concourse brings tears to my eyes. The atmosphere is just right to me... all the fans are hardcore, and sometimes they even get so into the game that they run on the field and act a damn fool. That aside, we love our team through thick and thin.

I declare the Metrodome the shabbiest; a notch above Olympic Stadium, but I still enjoyed the experience of going to those two ballparks about as much as any other.
      Last edited by Peachiro; 02-26-2005, 01:27 PM.
      "To get along with me --- don't increase my tension." - Ty Cobb

Comment

The park formerly known as Comiskey would probably be rated higher if...
        1. It was facing northeast.
        2. It was the only MLB facility along the Red Line.
        3. It was replacing a newer park.
        4. It was not built right before the retro craze.

Comment

Worst Parks

The hands down winner is...

TROPICANA FIELD

others receiving votes:
          Shea Stadium
          US Cellular Field (before recent renovations)
          RFK Stadium - this one is gonna be a JOKE!
          Last edited by big10purdue; 02-26-2005, 09:33 PM.

Comment

RFK ain't too shabby

C'mon, give me a break..RFK, isn't all that bad..saw many of Senators
            games there ..before they moved the team to TeXas..RFK, is still in
            fairly good shape..as it is being tweaked..for it's three year run, before
            being replaced by a new park for the Nationals..Heck, even if one was
            to stick to the conclusion, that RFK, is a joke, it is still light years better
            than the Expos, and Blue Jays parks....I haven't seen RFK, since 1971,
            but plan on attending a few games there this season..rooting for my
            second fave team...

Man, I don't understand Cubs fans...always down on other clubs, and parks,
            always whining, Thinking that they are GOD'S choice as the ultimate MLB
            fan..and more...Guess all those years of losing, and then not making it
            past the playoffs, into the series,has taken it's toll..nothing like rubbing salt
            into the rear end of dem cubbies fans..as the Red Sox finally whipped their
            curse, getting into the series, and sweeping the Cards..Musta been depression city in cubs central...as for RFK..it's fine..

Comment

I keep seeing The Trop listed as one of the worst fields. I never see specifics mentioned though. I have been to many games there, and have been to many ballparks, I don't find anything terrible about it. If anyone has specific complaints , lets hear them.My only complaint, is that its a domed stadium, but with our thunderstorms in the summer its understandable.
              Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
              www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

not to bash

:radio My intention was not to bash other stadiums... just merely answer the question that was posted. This post is for opinions. Are there bad stadiums? Of course. I have read many bad things about RFK, such as the "removable" bleachers getting stuck because they were so rusted over. They spent $3mil to get these things out. I know it's a temporary home... and that's why it's going to be bad. I will see for myself May 13th when the Cubs play in D.C.

Also, when your team hasn't won in 100 years, you need to look at the positives... and the one thing Cubs fans CAN brag about it Wrigley. Nothing in baseball compares to it. The newer parks that look nice... still smell like fresh paint and don't have that "old" feel down to its concourses. You can bash the Cubs (because they historically deserve it)... just don't bash Wrigley.

The biggest problem I have with Tropicana Field is the lighting. It is very dark and the turf doesn't help. It's olive green and looks like the shag carpeting at my grandma's house. The field of play is darker than any ballpark I've been to. Because of the low attendance only a few concession stands are open, making you walk father away... missing the action. The outside of the stadium is very ugly and crooked. The roof is angled and looks like it has been in an earthquake. The one positive I can say (and I dont know if they still do it) is the Beach in LF bleachers. It was something like $3 for your ticket and 49 cent drafts. Now that's a bargain!
                Last edited by big10purdue; 02-27-2005, 07:36 AM.

Comment

I am new to the forum, and wanted to share my times at Arlington Staduim. Go early in the year or late in the season or the sun would cook you. I went to a game in early 80's against the White Sox, 7th inning was at 93 degrees, game started at close to 100 degrees at 7:30 pm.
                  Buddy Bell hit a grand slam to win the game, was one of my favorite memories about that old park.
                  Built as a minor leauge park for the Dallas/Ft.Worth Spurs became the home of the expansison Rangers. Small and cozy what a great place to watch a game. The dot races are a big fan delight.

Comment

Originally posted by big10purdue
                    :radio My intention was not to bash other stadiums... just merely answer the question that was posted. This post is for opinions. Are there bad stadiums? Of course. I have read many bad things about RFK, such as the "removable" bleachers getting stuck because they were so rusted over. They spent $3mil to get these things out. I know it's a temporary home... and that's why it's going to be bad. I will see for myself May 13th when the Cubs play in D.C.

Also, when your team hasn't won in 100 years, you need to look at the positives... and the one thing Cubs fans CAN brag about it Wrigley. Nothing in baseball compares to it. The newer parks that look nice... still smell like fresh paint and don't have that "old" feel down to its concourses. You can bash the Cubs (because they historically deserve it)... just don't bash Wrigley.

The biggest problem I have with Tropicana Field is the lighting. It is very dark and the turf doesn't help. It's olive green and looks like the shag carpeting at my grandma's house. The field of play is darker than any ballpark I've been to. Because of the low attendance only a few concession stands are open, making you walk father away... missing the action. The outside of the stadium is very ugly and crooked. The roof is angled and looks like it has been in an earthquake. The one positive I can say (and I dont know if they still do it) is the Beach in LF bleachers. It was something like $3 for your ticket and 49 cent drafts. Now that's a bargain!
                    FRom the outside the Trop looks like a flying saucertrying to take off. Inside isn't too bad. They have a main food concourse, and there is usually a good selection of things to buy. I don't believe the field is poorly lighted, the stands are darker to allow you to see the field better. Most indoor arenas ,that I have been in are the same. The turf is the new type that most other indoor sights are now going to. It does have an all dirt infield , not just sliding boxes around the bases. Yes they still have the beach, at least it was still there last year. Baseball indoors is just different and not something I like, but when it was built there was no team, and no budget for a retractable roof. Of couse we thought we had the SF Giants all wrapped up, but thats another story. We could have had Barry Steroid Bonds.
                    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

Originally posted by BasEbaLlKnoItAll
                      [FONT=Courier New]I think all of those "cookie cutters" back in the late 70's, 80's, and early 90's. You know what im talking about the Riverfront Stadiums, Shea Stadiums, Olympic Stadiums of the world.
                      Most of the cookie cutters are gone and St. Louis is in its last season for Busch, which actually has become a pretty decent place to see ballgames ever since they put real turf in.

The worst I've ever been in have thankfully already been torn down--Philly's Vet was about the most boring baseball experience I ever had, partly because of the artificial turf and lack of character... but the team was bad and fans sparse the one time I visited.

Shea is still a pit no matter how many Mets fans crowd in there. I've mostly sat in the upper deck, and the time that I was down the left field line, it was virtually impossible to follow the path of fly balls due to the angle and sight lines.
                      John

Stan Musial Pages
                      CultureDose Media Reviews

Comment

The crappiest park I have ever been to is the Kingdome.

On TV I have seen some toilets: Olympic Stadium in Montreal, Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati, The Vet in Philadelphia.

Most of the time, a roof is bad and artificial turf - the old kind - blows, too. The new stuff, that looks like grass is not too bad.

Baseball should be played outside with real grass.
                        Last edited by Ogopogo; 03-06-2005, 09:11 PM.

Comment

The VET is a landmark and dont you forget it!

Comment

Well the only landmark the Vet is anymore is whatever rubble is still left on the premises. I've only been to 5 parks and I was lucky enough to go to Oakland before the Raiders returned and expanded it. Nice grass meadow in the outfield. From the inside I really liked it but from the outside it stunk. Qualcomm Stadium was old but for me held a lot of memories. It just wasn't the same to me when they re-colored the fences blue, removed the team logos around the outfield, closed the seats right up to the scoreboard, and eliminated the open look. Those palm trees didn't really add anything for me. The large concourse was great though and fans are missing that with PETCO.
                            Dodgers Stadium is beautiful when you first walk out of the concourse and look at the view. As a Padres fan It's hard to say but right now it's my favorite park from the inside. Now if you want to get into parking, getting to my seat, and the actual comfortability of the seat PETCO has it beat.
                            Went to Angels Field last year and had a great time. Never saw an entire ballpark cheer for their team like that and American League baseball has a totally different feel than National League ball. Not just the DH but there's something else I can't put my finger on. Anyways the field was great, the outside of the stadium looks great. My only complaint would be the concourse being too narrow in the upper decks. The first floor isn't bad during the game but before and after it's pretty crowded and hard to move around. Much like Dodger Stadium in that sense.
                            I think so far ultimate favorite to least fav would be:
                            Angel Field, PETCO, Dodger Stadium, Qualcomm, and Oakland Colesium.
                            Hoping to get to games in Phoenix, Denver, and Seattle next year.
                            http://img94.exs.cx/img94/7229/czzyzx41sig029qd.png

Comment

Hands Down

EXHIBITION STADIUM, or as we called it, execretion stadium, execrution staidium, etc. A converted Canadian Football League stadium. Can't get much more pathetic than that.
                              "Where have you gone Joe DiMaggio, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you. What's that you say Mrs. Robinson? Joltin' Joe has left and gone away. Hey hey hey."

Comment

Originally posted by Donnybrook @ Second base
                                From what I heard about Wrigley from a friend is it is more of a happy hour at the stadium, an event and the game is in the background.
                                I'm a season ticket holder and that statement really isnt true. sure, there are a buncha fans who are more interested in having a good time than the game, but there are those types of fans at every stadium. I know in my particular section of the stadium, happy hour is reserved for after the game.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X