Worst parks you've seen a game in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PeteU View Post
    And given that the Trop was actually planned and built before New Comiskey, it really stands as the first baseball-primary stadium built since Kauffman, not New Comiskey.

The Trop gets a bad rap, but I think some of it is overstated. Of all the fixed dome stadiums in baseball history (Astrodome, Kingdome, Metrodome, should we include Olympic after the roof broke?), I would venture to say the Trop was probably the best of the bunch. Which is sort of like saying Boys II Men was the best of all the boy bands--it was a pretty crummy trend all in all--but in the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
    True enough. The Trop will go down as the only baseball-only dome in MLB history.

**Post 4000**

Comment

• [QUOTE=Foppa21;1025321] Today's worst are U.S. Cellular, the horrid replacement to a shrine in Comiskey, a rollercoaster looking stadium void of personality

Have you been there since the completion of the renovations?

Comment

• Originally posted by skobabe8 View Post
        I think most domes automatically have fake grass. What makes the Trop worse than the Metrodome?
        Well i hate all domes, but of the ones i have been in, the Metrodome was neat because of the way the roof is supported. I also liked the little plexiglass walls that were weird, like out of hockey. I also happened to have a good time at my games there which is unfair when rating the stadium, but hey, there is bias in everything. The Trop was totally disgusting place and the fact that it was build just for baseball is laughable but as it has been well documented here, this was before the new age of building actual "ball"parks. I have been once since the renovations and it is slightly improved and the free parking was a nice touch. The new mgmt def is heading in the right direction but competition in that division will be tough (if it is at all possible) until a real ballpark is obtained or the Rays move elsewhere.

All i'm saying is every ballpark is good and has its positives, its just out of the all MLB parks i have been in, which number 37, the Trop was the least desirable for me.

G Man

Comment

• Originally posted by Foppa21 View Post
          Jacobs Field, a park that became outdated like a 70s cookie-cutter venue maybe 2 years after it opened.
          Man thats rough on the Jake. I actually rate the Jake quite high in my "newer" ballparks list. The surrounding area is nice, the ballpark is beautiful and has great sightlines. The crowds used to be really pumped up, now you have more room to yourself, but either way i have found this to be a great atmosphere and top of the line park.

G

Comment

• The metrodome is by far the worst.

Comment

• Originally posted by gman5431 View Post
              The Trop was totally disgusting place
              It's certainly far from perfect, but it's also far from "disgusting". It's very clean; the concourses are wide, bright, and family-oriented; and everything's relatively new and nice.

What about it irked you so?

Comment

• Regrettably, I am late to this board, and more specifically, this particular thread... Sadly, I spent the first 26 years of my life attending major league ball games at the Kingdome in Seattle. I grew up here near Seattle, but I never have counted myself amongst the Mariner fans. I (and my friends) would attend M's games to see our favorite players/teams from other cities. Since then, I have been blessed with the opportunity to visit many other cities and their ballparks and I MUST say that the Kingdome is the single worst stadium that I have ever seen baseball played in. Incidentally, I have been to the Metrodome in Minneapolis and the comparison isn't really all that close. I suppose that may have to do with the fact that while I was growing up the M's stunk so badly that there wasn't much enthusiasm around the park, whereas when I visited the Metrodome, the Twins were in the midst of a run at the AL central. Great parks that I have had the pleasure of visiting include Wrigley, Fenway, Dodger Stadium, Camden, Miller, and Coors. Disappointments included Yankee Stadium (dump, plain-and-simple), Philly's old Veterans' Stadium (good food, crappy yard), New Comisky, and San Diego's old Jack Murphy. By the way, I was pleasantly surprised by (but am not be upset that I won't be able to visit again) Shea (maybe we got lucky with getting to the park and getting good seats and decent food) and Candlestick (the one visit I had there seemed like a big party in the left-field bleachers)...

Comment

• Originally posted by Foppa21 View Post
                  Maybe it doesn't count as a full-time baseball stadium, park, but Mile High was terrible, for anything. Like Milwaukee County, a really horrible (yet fun) park, it is gone. Today's worst are U.S. Cellular, the horrid replacement to a shrine in Comiskey, a rollercoaster looking stadium void of personality and Jacobs Field, a park that became outdated like a 70s cookie-cutter venue maybe 2 years after it opened.

I agree with you 100 percent about the new white sox ballpark its a dump and a horrible replacement to the classic original comiskey park(1910-1991)
                  LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

• Originally posted by satchel29 View Post
                    Regrettably, I am late to this board, and more specifically, this particular thread... Sadly, I spent the first 26 years of my life attending major league ball games at the Kingdome in Seattle. I grew up here near Seattle, but I never have counted myself amongst the Mariner fans. I (and my friends) would attend M's games to see our favorite players/teams from other cities. Since then, I have been blessed with the opportunity to visit many other cities and their ballparks and I MUST say that the Kingdome is the single worst stadium that I have ever seen baseball played in. Incidentally, I have been to the Metrodome in Minneapolis and the comparison isn't really all that close. I suppose that may have to do with the fact that while I was growing up the M's stunk so badly that there wasn't much enthusiasm around the park, whereas when I visited the Metrodome, the Twins were in the midst of a run at the AL central. Great parks that I have had the pleasure of visiting include Wrigley, Fenway, Dodger Stadium, Camden, Miller, and Coors. Disappointments included Yankee Stadium (dump, plain-and-simple), Philly's old Veterans' Stadium (good food, crappy yard), New Comisky, and San Diego's old Jack Murphy. By the way, I was pleasantly surprised by (but am not be upset that I won't be able to visit again) Shea (maybe we got lucky with getting to the park and getting good seats and decent food) and Candlestick (the one visit I had there seemed like a big party in the left-field bleachers)...
                    When you visited new Comiskey, was it before the changes were made to it?

Comment

• Originally posted by zengator View Post
                      It's certainly far from perfect, but it's also far from "disgusting". It's very clean; the concourses are wide, bright, and family-oriented; and everything's relatively new and nice.

What about it irked you so?
                      The whole thing felt so fake. The grass looked very plastic-y to me... worse than most fake turf. The roof and catwalks were weird and one even interfered with play. It looks like its almost in the circus or something. I know it came before the advent of retractable roofs so its not really St. Pete's fault, but out of all the parks i have been to, its the worst, and by far.

G Man

Comment

• [QUOTE=soxnut67;1025566]
                        Originally posted by Foppa21 View Post
                        Today's worst are U.S. Cellular, the horrid replacement to a shrine in Comiskey, a rollercoaster looking stadium void of personality

Have you been there since the completion of the renovations?
                        I'd dare venture to say that he hasn't. I've been to "The Cell" numerous times both before and after the renovations. I think anyone with an objective mind might conclude that while U.S. Cellular Field doesn't have the "old time ballpark" look of Oriole Park and other "Oriole Park wanna-be's", it's definitely MUCH better than before.

That just goes to show how folks in the press can influence opinions and such. Many people I've talked and interacted with say that after initial bad impressions of the place...once they've actually been there, their opinion of the place greatly improves.
                        Follow me on Facebook, or Twitter.

sigpic If you love your freedom, thank a vet...and this 10-year U.S. Army vet says, "You're welcome.".

Comment

• [QUOTE=hsnterprize;1029843]
                          Originally posted by soxnut67 View Post
                          I'd dare venture to say that he hasn't. I've been to "The Cell" numerous times both before and after the renovations. I think anyone with an objective mind might conclude that while U.S. Cellular Field doesn't have the "old time ballpark" look of Oriole Park and other "Oriole Park wanna-be's", it's definitely MUCH better than before.

That just goes to show how folks in the press can influence opinions and such. Many people I've talked and interacted with say that after initial bad impressions of the place...once they've actually been there, their opinion of the place greatly improves.

I really don't get how anyone who has been there post-renovations can say they don't like or that it is one of the worst parks. The place reeks baseball!

Comment

• Originally posted by soxnut67 View Post
                            I really don't get how anyone who has been there post-renovations can say they don't like or that it is one of the worst parks. The place reeks baseball!
                            You just said it yourself, the place reeks!

sorry...
                            If you've been wanting to send someone a thumbs-down, opportunity knocks! I'm now on Cameo, and I'm ready to send a personalized thumbs-down to anyone you want!

Comment

• Ballpark

[QUOTE=soxnut67;1029854]
                              Originally posted by hsnterprize View Post

What ballpark are you talking about.you have the right to like or dislike any ballpark you want. the fact is alot of baseball fans just dont like this stadium.
                              LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

• Originally posted by metfan13 View Post
                                When you visited new Comiskey, was it before the changes were made to it?
                                sorry for the late response... I visited the New Comisky BEFORE the changes were made (it seemed like a big, concrete pimple to me- no offense meant in that statement; just my personal opinion)... and to give you a sense of just how UN-remarkable the experience was, I have seen the Angels in Anaheim... ZERO personality in that joint, too.

Also, I forgot to mention that because I live in Seattle, I have been to Safeco Field numerous times, and while I STILL don't like the Mariners, Safeco is as nice as any of the new generation of ballparks that I have visited... good seating, great sight-lines to the field and the action, family-friendly (if you're into that sort of thing), decent (but admittedly expensive) food, clean, wide concourses, decent (not GREAT) access to the highway, cool view of downtown and the waterfront... it's pretty sweet considering the fact that I was CURSED with the Kingdome for so many years.
                                Last edited by satchel29; 10-19-2007, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X