Roosevelt Stadium - Jersey City, NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roosevelt Stadium - Jersey City, NJ

The Brooklyn Dodgers played seven league games and one exhibition game in 1956, and eight league games in 1957, in Jersey City's Roosevelt Stadium. I know a couple of the Brooklyn Dodger Forum members attended games there, maybe they can give us a feel of what that stadium was like. I saw some of the Dodger games from there on TV but never had a chance to go there. If anyone has photos (Jackie 42?) maybe they can share. The stadium is a bit of a mystery, there seems to be very few photos available. I haven't found any from the games the Dodgers played there. According to newspaper reports and player interviews the Dodgers were not treated like the home team. Most of the fans attending the games were New York Giants fans and rooted against the Dodgers. The Giants at one time had a farm team in New Jersey.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

How about a seating diagram?

here's a seating diagram of Roosevelt Stadium.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Brent
      here's a seating diagram of Roosevelt Stadium.
      Thanks Tim.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Roosevelt Stadium Firsts
            Jersey City, NJ

Game 04/19/1956 Phillies 4, Dodgers 5 (10 innings)
            Umpires Augie Donatelli, Bill Engeln
            Vic Delmore, Jocko Conlan
            Managers Walter Alston, Dodgers
            Mayo Smith, Phillies
            Starting Pitchers Carl Erskine, Dodgers
            Murry Dickson, Phillies
            Ceremonial Pitch Hoboken Mayor John J. Grogan
            Attendance 12,214
            Batting
            Batter Richie Ashburn (groundout)
            Hit Pee Wee Reese (single)
            Run Junior Gilliam
            RBI Gil Hodges
            Single Pee Wee Reese
            Double Gil Hodges
            Triple Dee Fondy (06/25/1956)
            Home Run Wally Moon (05/16/1956)
            Grand Slam NONE
            IPHR NONE
            Stolen Base Roy Campanella
            Sacrifice Hit Jackie Robinson
            Sacrifice Fly Rube Walker
            Cycle NONE
            Pitching
            Win Clem Labine
            Loss Murry Dickson
            Shutout Don Newcombe (08/07/1956)
            Save Clem Labine (05/16/1956)
            Hit by Pitch Jim Hearn hit Gino Cimoli (04/22/1957)
            Wild Pitch Carl Erskine
            Balk NONE
            No-Hitter NONE

http://www.retrosheet.org/ballparks/roosevelt_stad.htm

Comment

Thanks Tim for the seating diagram.I haven't seen one for that place before,and thanks Jackie for the photo.

A couple of questions I would like to find out.What was the seating capacity at Roosevelt Stadium,and is it still standing today?

Comment

Originally posted by Chisox73
                Thanks Tim for the seating diagram.I haven't seen one for that place before,and thanks Jackie for the photo.

A couple of questions I would like to find out.What was the seating capacity at Roosevelt Stadium,and is it still standing today?
                The 1956 Dodger yearbook lists capacity at 25,000. It is no longer standing, and there are very few pictures available. I still haven't found any Dodger game action photos from Roosevelt Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKIE42
                  Roosevelt Stadium Firsts
                  Jersey City, NJ

Game 04/19/1956 Phillies 4, Dodgers 5 (10 innings)
                  Umpires Augie Donatelli, Bill Engeln
                  Vic Delmore, Jocko Conlan
                  Managers Walter Alston, Dodgers
                  Mayo Smith, Phillies
                  Starting Pitchers Carl Erskine, Dodgers
                  Murry Dickson, Phillies
                  Ceremonial Pitch Hoboken Mayor John J. Grogan
                  Attendance 12,214
                  Batting
                  Batter Richie Ashburn (groundout)
                  Hit Pee Wee Reese (single)
                  Run Junior Gilliam
                  RBI Gil Hodges
                  Single Pee Wee Reese
                  Double Gil Hodges
                  Triple Dee Fondy (06/25/1956)
                  Home Run Wally Moon (05/16/1956)
                  Grand Slam NONE
                  IPHR NONE
                  Stolen Base Roy Campanella
                  Sacrifice Hit Jackie Robinson
                  Sacrifice Fly Rube Walker
                  Cycle NONE
                  Pitching
                  Win Clem Labine
                  Loss Murry Dickson
                  Shutout Don Newcombe (08/07/1956)
                  Save Clem Labine (05/16/1956)
                  Hit by Pitch Jim Hearn hit Gino Cimoli (04/22/1957)
                  Wild Pitch Carl Erskine
                  Balk NONE
                  No-Hitter NONE

http://www.retrosheet.org/ballparks/roosevelt_stad.htm
                  I seem to remember a strange play. Willie Jones the Phils 3b spiked himself while trying to catch a popup and had to leave the game.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.

Comment

Roosevelt Stadium was one of the dullest ballparks in which I have ever seen a ML ballgame.

WE went there in the summer of 1956, and it took forever to get there. WE took a train in Penn Station to some place in NJ (I don't remember where), but when WE got off the train WE had to take a bus to get to the Stadium. The area outside the park was not the nicest of places. WE sat behind home plate and in general, just felt so "out of place" there, especially when WE were the home team. The trip home took even longer.

I DO remember that WE called a certain "owner" quite a few names that day.....thinking WHY is HE doing to this to US??? Little did WE realize what HE ultimately had in mind for US!

c.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                        Roosevelt Stadium was one of the dullest ballparks in which I have ever seen a ML ballgame.

WE went there in the summer of 1956, and it took forever to get there. WE took a train in Penn Station to some place in NJ (I don't remember where), but when WE got off the train WE had to take a bus to get to the Stadium. The area outside the park was not the nicest of places. WE sat behind home plate and in general, just felt so "out of place" there, especially when WE were the home team. The trip home took even longer.

I DO remember that WE called a certain "owner" quite a few names that day.....thinking WHY is HE doing to this to US??? Little did WE realize what HE ultimately had in mind for US!

c.
                        Deb, do you remember which game you went to?Was there any advertising on the walls? I am trying to get a mental picture of the place.

Comment

Originally posted by tonypug
                          Deb, do you remember which game you went to?Was there any advertising on the walls? I am trying to get a mental picture of the place.
                          Tony, I honestly don't remember WHICH game it was. As I said, I know it was in the summer, but that's about all I remember. I might I have a scorecard among my many items, and I also think I have a photo of the place (WE never went to ballgames without OUR cameras), but, I would have to look for it among the few thousands photos I have.

I can't say that I remember any advertising on the walls, although there could have been.

Sorry, I can't be of more help!

c.

Comment

Those images are great and bring back some fond memories.

In the early 70's Lincoln HS in JC used Roosevelt as their home field. Many towns, like mine, went out of their way to play Lincoln. I was an awesome place for a HS game.

There were also some wonderful concerts held there in the late 70's and early 80's.

The Indians had an AA team there in the late 70's I believe as well.

Thanks again for those images!
                            cong

Comment

Hi Everyone!

This is Eric Pastore. My wife and I have been touring North America for the past 5 years, photographing every ballpark that has every been used for professional baseball of any kind, since professional baseball began (in high res digital photography). This is for the inclusion in our baseball stadium museum. The museum has been featured as recently as this past month on CNN and ABC News Nightline, and has links to it from the Hall Of Fame in Cooperstown.

We are trying to capture every ballpark ever used for professional baseball, ever. In all of history.

Of course that leads to one big issue. I cannot capture ballparks that no longer exist, for quite obvious reasons. For those, I have to rely on others.

As tony pug stated in the beginning, Roosevelt Stadium has been an enigma. There are very few photographs of it, and we only have one aerial shot ourselves.

We've been lucky, that many of the early Major League parks, we've been able to "Screen Capture" from some very rare footage off of some new DVD's we've gotten. Because of this technology, and because all of the old news reels of the 50's have been digitized, we have some great never before seen footage of Ebbets Field, Yankee Stadium, Seals Stadium, Polo Grounds, Connie Mack, LA Coliseum. Unfortunately, no footage exists of Minor League Parks.

If anyone wishes to help us out, please let me know. My email address is [email protected].

My musuem www.digitalballparks.com, is seeking ANY photos of "no longer standing" ballparks, preferrably very large so we can crop if we need to.

If anyone has anything to donate, please let us know. Even the 2 photographs that appear above are pretty good. Thanks everyone.
                              ------------
                              Eric
                              President
                              www.digitalballparks.com
                              An online baseball stadium museum featuring almost 10k photos of ballparks from around the world.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X