Viewing a Ballgame from OUTSIDE The Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewing a Ballgame from OUTSIDE The Stadium

Ok so I was thinking, we've all been to baseball games where we pay admission and sit in our seats INSIDE the ballpark, but what about watching a game from OUTSIDE the ballpark? which stadiums (past-present, major-minor league) can you actually see a game from the outside of the ballpark? The first one that comes to my mind is the rooftop bleachers at Wrigley Field. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe they had rooftop bleachers at Shibe Park as well (before the spite fence).

I apologize if a thread like this exists already, i didn't look through all the pages of threads!

1980 on Waveland Avenue:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lpeters199; 04-07-2010, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Interesting topic.

Pre-renovation Yankee Stadium also had visibility from neighboring rooftops, as well as the 161st Street subway platform.

Ebbets Field also had rooftop and apartment views, and a few of the apartments in the housing project next to the Polo Grounds were able to look in and see something, though I don't know how good the views were.

Shea Stadium had the subway ramp where you could see some of the field, but a large chunk of it was blocked by the giant right field scoreboard. (I wonder if that's why they put it in right field... original drawings of it had the board either in center or left!)

Petco Park in San Diego is surrounded by buildings offering vantage points into the ballpark. In fact, when Bonds hit so-called #755, there was an ad on one of the under-construction buildings that said "Move Into Left Field" or something like that.
      X

Comment

This man, perched on Coogan's Bluff, had a partial view through the gaps in the left field stands. The other two pictures were taken from the roof of 515 Edgecombe, also atop the bluff.
        Attached Files

Comment

All the way in the RF corner at Wrigley, you can watch the game off the street.

Comment

Forbes Field in 1912:
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Lpeters199; 04-07-2010, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Forbes Field from the Cathedral of Learning at U. of Pittburgh:
              Attached Files

Comment

From outside county stadium

1901 1957 1958 1981 1982 2008

19 4 34 44 42

Comment

Ebbets Field from an apartment rooftop:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Crosley Field from I-75 under construction. When the freeway was completed, the center field wall was raised to block the view.
                    Attached Files

Comment

1936 WS
                      sigpic

Comment

Giant's Mays Field in SF

Comment

shea, from the ramp...
                          Attached Files
                          the turd in the punchbowl
                          reality really sucks.
                          enjoy the game more...

Comment

Originally posted by Lpeters199 View Post
                            Forbes Field from the Cathedral of Learning at U. of Pittburgh:
                            I wonder if the players on that field just might have caught some of the yelling and cheering from that tower.
                            RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

Originally posted by Lpeters199 View Post
                              This man, perched on Coogan's Bluff, had a partial view through the gaps in the left field stands. The other two pictures were taken from the roof of 515 Edgecombe, also atop the bluff.
                              Lpete - the first thing that drew my eye in the top-most photo were the white lettering on black in the distance...."Y A N K E E S T A.."(dium hidden by curvature of upper deck wall). What a catch! And what a photo.
                              And the bottom one - TWO NY baseball venues with a courthouse for a backdrop. The stars were aligned - until recently...
                              Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 04-07-2010, 05:15 PM.
                              RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X