St. George Grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. George Grounds

I may be going crazy, but I'm sure I once saw a photograph that showed the Statue of Liberty being built in 1886, taken from the St. George Grounds. I have seen the advertising poster that shows this, but I am really looking for the photo. As I remember, you could even make out the scaffolding. Did I see it in a ballpark book?

Originally posted by azseamhead View Post
    I may be going crazy, but I'm sure I once saw a photograph that showed the Statue of Liberty being built in 1886, taken from the St. George Grounds. I have seen the advertising poster that shows this, but I am really looking for the photo. As I remember, you could even make out the scaffolding. Did I see it in a ballpark book?
    Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but St. George Grounds looks AWESOME! We need architecture like this again for minor leagues and college stadiums.

Last edited by locke40; 04-15-2010, 03:29 PM. Reason: Cool Architecture; Better than Modern
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by locke40 View Post
      Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but St. George Grounds looks AWESOME! We need architecture like this again for minor leagues and college stadiums.

Wow... compare that view with the view that you get from St George now... is Richmond County Ballpark in the same spot as St. George Grounds?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyg/699968807/sizes/l/

Comment

The top picture is the advertising poster I refered to! I still think I have seen a photograph, but it just might be my faulty memory. Also, according to Wikipedia "the current stadium parking lot was the site of Major League Baseball in the 1880s. The New York Metropolitans of the American Association played at the St. George Grounds in 1886-1887 and the New York Giants played there while awaiting the construction of the second Polo Grounds."

Comment

The St George ground is very close, if not the same spot as Richmond County Ballpark.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X