Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Ballpark Mascots

mr_met_800x600..jpgfrddysez..jpg
    One thread I have not seen on this bulletin is that of the ballparks best feature
    or WORST DISTRACTIONS
    that of the ballparks mascots
    I think the white sox had a clown once and the brooklyn dodgers had a BUM
    I will start with the mascots from New York
    HALL OF FAMER Mr Mets (official) and the Yankees Freddy Sez (unofficial)

credit to the nymets.mlb.com for Mr Met and The Ambershow for Freddy Sez
    Last edited by drdg; 04-24-2010, 08:24 AM.
    sigpic

I'm not a Mets fan, but I think Mr. Met is one of the best mascots in all of sports. Same goes for the Philly Phanatic, and I hate everything Philly.

I think the worst mascot in all of the land might be Screech of the Washington Nationals. Not only is he named after a teenage dweeb of television infamy, but he also looks like a cross between a chicken and an owl. They slimmed Screech down last year in an effort to make him more likeable, but he still looks like he is a victim of DDT soft shellism as an embryo.

The pic on the left is what he looks like now, while the pic on the right was from '05 when he should have had a giant bike helmet on.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RfkFedEx; 04-24-2010, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
      Same goes for the Philly Phanatic, and I hate everything Philly.

I cannot stand the Philly Phanatic, ugh.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BIGREDjaw View Post
          I cannot stand the Philly Phanatic, ugh.
          The guy in the suit has never bothered me. It's just the other 40,000 phanatics around him that I take issue with.

I think the Phanatic should have a device for him to spew projectile vomit on command for photo ops w/ the fans.:flow:

Comment

One thing we always wondered about that Phillie Phanatic: Just what the heck is he supposed to be? I mean, what kind of animal? Or is it supposed to be a gremlin or a dragon or an ogre or something? Maybe someone can tell me, what he is?

Comment

At risk of sounding philosophical here, and I realize it is best to keep it "light" in these discussion threads When I'm at a ballgame these times and think back on when I was a kid going to ballgames and "what wasn't there then" . . . "but is what is here now" I think of the organ for then, and these silly bafoonic mascots parading around for now. If it were possible, on a one-to-one straight trade off, I'd take the organ piping out "the band played on" or similar any day, any week, any year. My grandboys like our stupid mascot "Dinger" and all his foolishment back here at Coors Field so I won't bitch too loud. I guess in a perfect world, we'd have both . . . to keep the kiddo's happy and settled, with us old farts less cranky and contentious. (I said "less") Ha!

Comment

real teams dont need mascots hahaha
                with that said, my favorite mascot is the phantatic. hes obnoxious and yet funny at the same time. i remember before the all star game on the MLB network, david wright was being interviewed and the philly phanatic came up next to him and was putting this big fake 08 championship ring in his face. i almost died laughing. it was pretty great. how anyone can hate that thing is beyond me.
                now phillies fans, thats another thing

Comment

Originally posted by yankies4life View Post
                  real teams dont need mascots hahaha
                  Oh yeah?

And to Mr. Random capitalizer... the Brooklyn Dodgers, had a clown as their mascot, not a bum.

Comment

Originally posted by DiggerODell View Post
                    At risk of sounding philosophical here, and I realize it is best to keep it "light" in these discussion threads When I'm at a ballgame these times and think back on when I was a kid going to ballgames and "what wasn't there then" . . . "but is what is here now" I think of the organ for then, and these silly bafoonic mascots parading around for now. If it were possible, on a one-to-one straight trade off, I'd take the organ piping out "the band played on" or similar any day, any week, any year. My grandboys like our stupid mascot "Dinger" and all his foolishment back here at Coors Field so I won't bitch too loud. I guess in a perfect world, we'd have both . . . to keep the kiddo's happy and settled, with us old farts less cranky and contentious. (I said "less") Ha!
                    the good old days of going to a ball game without player's introduction music, no wacky entertainments between inning except for that sweet sounding music coming from the organ and 2 hours baseball games
                    In addition to mascots, a few barkparks now have cheerleaders
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mets16 View Post
                      Oh yeah?

And to Mr. Random capitalizer... the Brooklyn Dodgers, had a clown as their mascot, not a bum.
                      ah the late GREAT emmett kelly and his son( a fellow veteran)
                      but emmett kelly SR. came along403px-EmmettKelly.jpgbrooklynbum1..jpg in 1956, prior to that I think since 1949
                      the brooklyn dodgers had a bum (dem bums)on their yearbooks and pennants
                      Last edited by drdg; 04-24-2010, 03:10 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                        I'm not a Mets fan, but I think Mr. Met is one of the best mascots in all of sports. Same goes for the Philly Phanatic, and I hate everything Philly.
                        I agree that Mr. Met is one of the best mascots in all of sports. Why? Because he's the most dignified (yes, a dignified mascot, I know). He simply comes out and waves to the crowd and that's it. He doesn't do anything stupid or outlandish to get noticed, yet he still rallies the crowd simply by showing up. He doesn't do anything more than he needs to. And that's why he's great.

The Philly Phanatic on the other hand, is retarded. The complete opposite of Mr. Met.

Another mascot I really hate is the dinosaur from Coors Field. What that mascot does should be borderline illegal IMO. As I was watching the [email protected] game on TV a few nights ago, that stupid purple dinosaur would stand right behind the backstop directly in the pitcher's line of sight so as to try to distract his concentration. He'd be jumping, dancing, and bobbing his head and would only sit down at the very last second before the Mets pitcher released the ball from his hand. It was pretty obvious from my point of view what he was doing.
                        Last edited by RayNY; 04-24-2010, 03:41 PM.
                        STOP ABUSING COFFEE

Comment

cowbell man

Originally posted by RayNY View Post
                          I agree that Mr. Met is one of the best mascots in all of sports. Why? Because he's the most dignified (yes, a dignified mascot, I know). He simply comes out and waves to the crowd and that's it. He doesn't do anything stupid or outlandish to get noticed, yet he still rallies the crowd simply by showing up. He doesn't do anything more than he needs to. And that's why he's great.

The Philly Phanatic on the other hand, is retarded. The complete opposite of Mr. Met.

Another mascot I really hate is the dinosaur from Coors Field. What that mascot does should be borderline illegal IMO. As I was watching the [email protected] game on TV a few nights ago, that stupid purple dinosaur would stand right behind the backstop directly in the pitcher's line of sight so as to try to distract his concentration. He'd be jumping, dancing, and bobbing his head and would only sit down at the very last second before the Mets pitcher released the ball from his hand. It was pretty obvious from my point of view what he was doing.
                          Ray
                          what do you think about the Mets unofficial human mascot or cheerleader
                          that being MR. COWBELLMAN
                          the guy is okay,
                          but man I hate that loud cowbell sound
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by drdg View Post
                            Ray
                            what do you think about the Mets unofficial human mascot or cheerleader
                            that being MR. COWBELLMAN
                            the guy is okay,
                            but man I hate that loud cowbell sound
                            Can't stand him and his stupid cowbell. Every time I hear that cowbell I think I'm in some hick country with cows and farms. Hey let's bring pots and pans and start banging on those too! Annoying as hell.
                            STOP ABUSING COFFEE

Comment

Originally posted by drdg View Post
                              [ATTACH]84873[/ATTACH][ATTACH]84874[/ATTACH]
                              One thread I have not seen on this bulletin is that of the ballparks best feature
                              or WORST DISTRACTIONS
                              that of the ballparks mascots
                              I think the white sox had a clown once and the brooklyn dodgers had a BUM
                              I will start with the mascots from New York
                              HALL OF FAMER Mr Mets (official) and the Yankees Freddy Sez (unofficial)

credit to the nymets.mlb.com for Mr Met and The Ambershow for Freddy Sez
                              Whatever Freddy is sitting on in that pic is either gone or in process of becoming extinct. OYS . . .
                              RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X