X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SultanOfWhat
    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by bkhockey3 View Post
    When I did the colors for the pennant, from experience with BxW converions from color done conventionally, not digitally, reds generally converted darker than blues, that's why the red 1922 against a blue field. I guess blue as the top section color would closely match the look of the American flag, so maybe the colors I had were wrong. My feeling on the turrnstiles is that the blueprint shows a unit with 4 bars emanating from a central point, so would tend to think what we have so far is correct.
    Your current colors (red white and blue background from top to bottom on the 1922 banner are correct; see color pics above).

Two things:

The banners are hung chronologically, so that must be the 1922 AL Champs banner to the left:

---There were AL Champ banners created even in years in which the WS was won:

sigpic

Comment

• SultanOfWhat
      • Jun 2007

Sultan---the explanation for the color on the pennant is also why that chiclet ad was probably red.
      That could very well be the case. And it looks cool in red.

So it looks like the banner was tapered at the right end, and the current color scheme is correct.
      Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 08-19-2010, 11:20 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

• YankeesFan
        • May 2006

Originally posted by chip View Post
        I don't want to sound like a pain in the ars about the banner but I think the color scheme was like this.........

I apologize if the following question has already been asked. If this banner is from 1922, then where did the banner from the final game at the old Yankee Stadium in 2008 come from? The one used in the ceremony, that is white with a red border.

Comment

• chip
          • Nov 2007

Looks like I’m going to eat my words once again.
          It looks to me like bk was correct all along in the colors.
          But I still think I’m correct on the shape…..well maybe.
          sigpic

Comment

• SultanOfWhat
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by YankeesFan View Post
            I apologize if the following question has already been asked. If this banner is from 1922, then where did the banner from the final game at the old Yankee Stadium in 2008 come from? The one used in the ceremony, that is white with a red border.

I did a post on that a while back, showing the two images. The 1922 banner shown in 2008 was not the original banner raised over YS in 1923.
            sigpic

Comment

• chip
              • Nov 2007

Boy this is fun!!!
              Thanks again for doing this bk.
              sigpic

Comment

• SultanOfWhat
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by chip View Post
                Looks like I’m going to eat my words once again.
                It looks to me like bk was correct all along in the colors.
                But I still think I’m correct on the shape…..well maybe.
                We can't worry about being wrong initially, as long as we get it right in the end. I've been wrong a number of times, too. And yes, the banner seems to be tapered. Maybe those zooms of the banner on the frieze will help bk to get the shape.
                Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 08-19-2010, 11:27 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

• bkhockey3
                  • Dec 2009

One more thought on the walls---if they were solid poured concrete, would have cracked so much--some of the cracks are perfectly vertical.

Comment

• bkhockey3
                    • Dec 2009

My internet must be lagging, but Chip, you're right. It is fun. And there are many days, like today, when there's a lot of information going back and forth. The pennant was done a way back, and now we learn the shape was wrong, and we have definitive on the color arrangement.

Comment

• bkhockey3
                      • Dec 2009

Am staying on the LD seats until done, then will be so happy, will do a low res rendering showing batting screen area with seats behind it.

Comment

• SultanOfWhat
                        • Jun 2007

Forgot to post that I heard back from Ohio State about their original cinder running track, installed in Ohio Stadium in 1923:

The original cinder on the track inside of Ohio Stadium was dark gray/black in color.

We know that there were many red cinder running tracks as well, so Ruppert et al. could have chosen either color. Harvey Frommer is the one who wrote of the YS track:

The outfield warning track was initially made of red cinders, later of red brick dust.

Unfortunately, Dr. Frommer did not respond to an e-mail asking for the source of that info. Every other such mention I can find on Google has the exact same wording, so it seems we have a single source, whether it is Dr. Frommer, or someone else.
                        sigpic

Comment

• bkhockey3
                          • Dec 2009

The red cinder track looks real good, a dark gray-black one would probably look just as good, maybe even better against all those mint seats.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• SultanOfWhat
                            • Jun 2007

The red cinder track looks real good, a dark gray-black one would probably look just as good, maybe even better against all those mint seats.
                            We at least have one direct statement that it was red, even though we haven't been able to confirm it with another source. Maybe you should stick with the red until we can find out more.

The gray cinder tracks we've seen were much lighter than that rendering.

Here are the 3 gray tracks. Cleveland's was apparently in place by 1946, Shibe in the 1950s (pic is from 1960) and the Baltimore track (on the right) was apparently installed in the 1960s.

These references are 20-40 years after 1923, though.
                            Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 08-19-2010, 01:35 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• bkhockey3
                              • Dec 2009

Will stick with red--was just curious how a neutral color would look.

Comment

• CHiller
                                Iron Hands
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by SultanOfWhat View Post
                                That's what I've thought, but I didn't want to press it. If we assume that shades can gives us an indication of color, we can use B&W adjustment. The colors in the digital banner are those I would assume would be found in patriotic displays (bright, rich red, and deep blue). See the results when the current digital banner is seen in B&W:

The 1922 text is darker than its background in the actual photo, but the reverse is true in the B&W digital version. The relative shades of the top and bottom backgrounds are harder to judge in the actual pic.

Here are some banner pics, to try to judge the banner shape. Older banners are of more value in this effort. That seems to be the 1922 banner second from right in the first two pics:

The emulsions on early black and white film stock was not sensitve to the red part of the spectrum. It wasn't until the mid 1920s that panchromatic b&w film sensitve to the entire spectrum of light came into widespread use. Therefore, in photographs taken up until the early twenties, anything that was red in color appeared very dark- almost black- in black and white photos, because the film would not react to the red light reflected off the surface of the red object. Film up to the early 20s was orthochromatic, and sensitve only to the green to blue part of the spectrum. So... is 1923 mid or early twenties? If we assume it's early, and the film used was orthochromatic, then the red part of the pennant would appear darker than the blue part.
                                First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X