Ballpark Touring / Help For Tourists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ballpark Touring / Help For Tourists

This May, I was able to go to training in Norman, Oklahoma. Normally I fly, but a coworker and I drove out there together. On the way we stopped in Cincinnati, Louisville, St. Louis, Kansas City and Commerce, Oklahoma, the boyhood home of Mickey Mantle.

We left on a Friday night about 10:00 PM and drove to Cincinnati. The Reds were out of town Saturday but we were able to do a tour of the Reds Museum and Hall of Fame and the Great American Ballpark.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cgcoyne2; 05-19-2010, 03:58 AM.
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

We then drove to Louisville, Kentucky and visited the Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum. We did the tour there and bought a couple of Louisville Sluggers. My friend and I got to swing a game used Mickey Mantle bat. They make you wear cotton gloves to hold the bat because they want to protect the bat from the oils that are present on people’s hands.
    Attached Files
    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

The next day, Sunday, we were in St. Louis and saw a Cardinal game against the Reds. We were going to buy Standing Room only tickets since I was going to tour the park by myself while my friend hung out, but we were told about a great ticket deal they have at Busch Stadium. You pay $5.50 for a “surprise” ticket and have to wait until right before the first pitch and you pick up your tickets. Most of the time you get standing room only tickets but sometimes you get really good seats. Considering that the Standing Room only tickets were $28, paying $5.50 for a shot at better seats was a steal. You can see the yellow line on the ground where you have to stand for Standing Room only.
      Attached Files

Comment

Then we drove to Kansas City after the game and visited the Jazz district. We went past the Negro League Museum and the Gem Theater. We were looking for 12th St. and Vine, but I think they removed the sign and built some type of memorial for the area. We wanted to get some BBQ, so we went to Gate's for some serious ribs.

The next day, Monday, we went for a tour of Kauffman Stadium. The Royals were out of town so we toured the stadium and went into the Royals Hall of Fame. The Negro League Museum is closed on Mondays, so I missed out on that.
        Attached Files

Comment

After leaving Kansas City, we went to Commerce, Oklahoma. We went by Mickey Mantle’s boyhood house and took some pictures. My friend posed both lefty and righty against the shed where “The Mick” learned to hit while I took some photos. Later I was able to superimpose them together. It made a nice 8x10 photo.

We left Commerce and drove to Norman. We got in about 8:00 PM. The trip was about 70 hours long with about 27 hours of driving. It was pretty easy to do.
          Attached Files

Comment

The next weekend we went to Arlington, Texas, where my friend’s sister and mother live. We went to a baseball game on Saturday night. We saw the Rangers play the Royals. On Saturday, I also toured the new Cowboys Stadium, which is literally across the street from The Ballpark at Arlington.
            Attached Files

Comment

The next week on Tuesday night , we went to Oklahoma City to see the RedHawks, which are the AAA affiliate of the Texas Rangers play the Sacramento River Cats, which are the AAA affiliate of the Oakland A’s. Kurt Suzuki was rehabbing during the game and catching for the River Cats. Jack Cust was also playing for the River Cats. Jarrod Saltalamacchia was also playing for the Oklahoma City RedHawks. He’s in the minors because he’s having trouble throwing the ball back to the pitcher. There is literally a spot worn out in front of the mound because the pitcher is constantly standing on the grass to get the throws back from Saltalamacchia. Nelson Cruz also played while on a rehab assignment.

Overall it was a great trip.
              Attached Files

Comment

Great pics cgcoyne2. Thx for sharing your tour. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

That Bricktown Park in OKC looks sweet. I love how the back of the top row of seats in the upper deck can be seen from outside.

Comment

Great Idea. I started a blog with the purpose of reporting on my upcoming baseball trip back east this summer, but it's turning out to be a lot more! I like your use of lots of photo's. http://garlicfriesandbaseball.wordpress.com

Comment

Sweet trip, but there's one you probably should've visited (though, technically, it's not "Midwestern"):

Comment

If I go through Memphis, I just might. It looks pretty nice.

Comment

Need Help Visiting Unfamailiar Ballparks

Where is the best place to be before and after a game in your city?

This summer I will be making my way around the country visiting all 30MLB ballparks. For my inspiration see http://baseballdreamin.blogspot.com/2012/02/trip.html
                        When I go to Cleveland I will be shown around by Matt Van Wormer who writes for www.didthetribewinlastnight.com. We will be eating lunch before the game a restaurant that was featured on Man Vs Food, arriving at the park a few hours before game time to check things out, and sitting in the “Social Media Suite”. It’s shaping up to be an amazing once in a lifetime experience. I will tell you all about it once I am in Cleveland.

That got me to thinking that maybe I should seek out a “tour guide” in each city. It’s not a particularly hard position just meet up with me and show me where the fun spots are and show me around the park. Basically I am looking for somebody to be an ambassador to your city. I'm looking to experience and document the best possible game day environment in each park. If this is something that interests you please email me at [email protected]. You can find my schedule Here http://baseballdreamin.blogspot.com/2012/02/trip.html

As I said before I will be documenting every aspect of my trip. Please feel free to take a look at my blog and join me for my adventure. http://baseballdreamin.blogspot.com You can also find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BaseballDreamin or twitter: https://twitter.com/BaseballDreamin

Comment

Goober's Ballpark Tour (Milwaukee, Detroit, Toronto, & Pittsburgh)

I'll be doing a driving ballpark tour around the 4th of July and visiting:

Miller Park - Brewers/Marlins 7/3
                          Comerica - Tigers/Twins 7/4
                          Rogers Center - Blue Jays/Royals 7/5
                          PNC Park - Pirates/Giants 7/7

Can anyone recommend the best place to sit in each park? Things to do around the ballpark? Things to not miss at each park? Thanks, and I promise to come back and post some pics when I get back...

Comment

Great pics, I loved the reds one where the players is sliding on the glass window.
                            The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

It's been decided that, in an effort to help members who are visiting multiple ballparks on an excursion, this thread can serve multiple purposes. It can be the place where you tell us about your tour, or to help others who may need some help planning theirs.

If, on your tour, you take photographs, it will be acceptable to post them either in this thread along with your telling of your trip, or, in the threads of each respective ballpark.

Anyway, I for one am looking forward to seeing your pics and perhaps reading of your experiences, Goober.
                              Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X