South End Grounds - Boston, MA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South End Grounds - Boston, MA

Hi there. I definitely love this ballpark, first home of the Boston Braves, in particular the amazing design of the old Pavillion (the second incarnation of the ballpark). The stadium was destroyed by fire in 1894. Obviously, there arent a lot of pictures of this beauty, but I'd like to share with you opinions and, if possible, other pics and infos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/seanphol...hEndGrounds_1#

Here's my gallery of blueprints from the South End Grounds from Boston Public Library.
    http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

Originally posted by DarioMet View Post
      Hi there. I definitely love this ballpark, first home of the Boston Braves, in particular the amazing design of the old Pavillion (the second incarnation of the ballpark). The stadium was destroyed by fire in 1894. Obviously, there arent a lot of pictures of this beauty, but I'd like to share with you opinions and, if possible, other pics and infos.

Great pics and info here..
      I never heard of this ballpark until now, and the pavilion design looks incredible!
      "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean O View Post
        http://picasaweb.google.com/seanphol...hEndGrounds_1#

Here's my gallery of blueprints from the South End Grounds from Boston Public Library.
        Thank you, really interesting, but these blueprints seem to be from South End Grounds III, although a note in one picture says Braves Field, Nov 26, 1920. Curious, indeed, cause Braves Field opened in 1915 and South End Grounds III was demolished in 1914. Any explanation? Thank you so much.

Comment

I took photos of Braves Field and the South End Grounds during the same session, so I must've left one of the photos in the wrong folder.
          http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sean O View Post
            I took photos of Braves Field and the South End Grounds during the same session, so I must've left one of the photos in the wrong folder.
            Thank you, mystery solved

Comment

Some more...

Comment

Comment

Comment

Great pics. This is easily one of my favorite ballparks of all time.

southendgrounds..jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Pelt View Post
                      Great pics. This is easily one of my favorite ballparks of all time.
                      Cool. Is it from the Cooperstown virtual tour? The 3D model should be the same one I posted.
                      Last edited by DarioMet; 05-26-2010, 05:44 AM.

Comment

The Indianapolis Hoosiers at the South End Grounds in 1888.

Comment

South End Grounds

The South End Grounds were right next to railroad tracks and a roundhouse. The noxious fumes of the steam locomotives would waft across the ballpark.

One of the unusual features of the ballpark was "Sullivan's Tower", which was built outside of the ballpark so that fans could watch the games without having to enter and pay admission fees. The structure became so large that approximately 500 spectators could climb on it. The tower was destroyed in the 1894 fire.
                          "You can't hit what you can't see" - Walter "Big Train" Johnson

Comment

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 05-25-2011, 07:54 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

That last pic looks like it would be perfect for wiffle ball!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X