Before SkyDome - Toronto's Stadium Proposals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before SkyDome - Toronto's Stadium Proposals

Before the selection of Joe Robbie's design of SkyDome was approval, the committee reviewing the options for a domed stadium in Toronto viewed four other finalists. The attached photos detail the proposals of the finalists.
    Attached Files

I like the one they used the best, what about everyone else?
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

The Webb Zerafa design seems kinda cool to me. It has a slight Polo Grounds narrowness to it.

Comment

seems as if there would have been a lot of obstructed views from the upper deck in the 3rd one...

Comment

Webb Zerafa is definitely the best one, mainly because it has seats around the outfield that aren't like 40 feet high, which has always annoyed me about Rogers Centre.
          sigpic

Comment

The last slide is the best, all the rest would have been awful. They definitely got is as close to right as they could for 1986. I think SkyDome will actually age well. It may not feel like it now, but I think the place is amazing, and it's not like these new ballparks are so intimate just because the capacities are smaller. I'll bet if you took a cross section of Jacobs Field, Comerica Park and SkyDome grandstands, SkyDome wouldn't seem so bad. It just has more outfield seating, and the newer style astroturf helps too.

http://www.stadiumdrawings.blogspot.com

Comment

I think if they would put in a Tampa Bay-style infield with real full dirt in Toronto, it would look a lot more like a ballpark, and nobody would be calling for anything different. How hard could it be to do that? The Raiders and Dolphins play on dirt without many problems, or they could find a way to zip it up for the Argos
              1997 2003
              Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

the crang proposal seems kinda intristing. it would make very strange shadows during afternoon games.

Comment

The Crang and Wan proposals are Ok. The other two have some serious sight line flaws. The design they actually went with would probably be the best of the lot, which unfortunately, isn't saying much.
                  I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                  - Walt Whitman

Comment

The foul territory for the W-Z proposal looks rather large and the lower deck infield seats appear to be far from the action.

Comment

The B-H design reminds me a bit of the baseball config at the Superdome in New Orleans.

Comment

Originally posted by KCC07 View Post
                        The B-H design reminds me a bit of the baseball config at the Superdome in New Orleans.
                        I thought the same. Mainly bc of how low the portal tunells sit in the upper deck.

Comment

Toronto got it right.

SkyDome still has the coolest retractable roof in baseball.

Comment

Bregman/Hamann looks like it has a 20-30 foot overhang in right field. Talk about your cheap homeruns!

Crang/Boake reminds me of the Kingdome.

Comment

Fairly sure RAN actually designed the Skydome, so I assume they won with this model. They actually tried pitching an exact clone of the Skydome to the Brewers.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X