Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macombs Dam Park [II] / Heritage Park (former Yankee Stadium [I] site)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    I really hate the name Heritage Field - it smacks of a spring training site somewhere in the southwest, not New York City.

Something simple like Stadium Field would be fine....

Also, it's really too bad it's hemmed in by hideous parking garages (albeit one with a field on top) - are they keeping the old one to the south?
    I actually agree with you, Heritage Field sounds like some team's minor league or spring training stadium. They should name it Stadium Field or Stadium Park like you said.

And yeah but one side is the original 70's parking garage, one is the new garage and the park, one is 161st, and then the subway.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shaneslatts View Post
      I think the neighbors will be outraged at the inclusion of anything that will take away from parkland.
      I'm wondering how the neighbors will be able to put up with the noise from the skateboard park that's being built on the south side of 157th Street (diagonally across the street from Gate 6).

Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
      And yeah but one side is the original 70's parking garage, one is the new garage and the park, one is 161st, and then the subway.
      Which I think is good because they'll "frame" the site of the original stadium, making it easier to visualize that there actually used to be a ballpark there.
      X
      What's THAT guy doing?
      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Here's a photo from today's ceremony, that I found on the internet...

"We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

I'd like to see one infield in the exact location where either OYS's or RYS's was (albeit it may be raised to street level).

Comment

Here's a couple of videos having to do with the groundbreaking:
            http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...heritage-field

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=7528561
            Last edited by florida_yankee_fan; 06-29-2010, 10:12 PM.
            "There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them."--Charles Dillon "Casey" Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
              I'd like to see one infield in the exact location where either OYS's or RYS's was (albeit it may be raised to street level).
              I don't think they're raising it to street level. just building a slope down.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                When did this happen? I did a Google search and I couldn't find anything. I hope it's true, though... when I hear "Heritage Field" the first thing I think of is the auction house - must be my collector's mentality.

But I did find this interesting bit regarding the park that will be built across from Gate 6, while checking out the Parks Department website to see if they indicated a new name for the Yankee Stadium site...
                Located on what were formerly parking lots, these pocket parks are currently under construction. The site on the northern side of 157th street will feature a custom play equipment, spray showers, lighting, benches, a drinking fountain, and landscaping (designed to highlight the existing Yankee Mural). Once installed, it will be possible for a passing subway to trigger the spray showers.

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_...velopment.html
                I just went through months of posts on the Yankee Stadium Demolition page, but did not find what I was looking for. I am hoping YankeeStadium1923 will see this and attach the letter from the Parks Department (if I am recalling correctly) that stated they would change the name from Heritage Field to Old Yankee Stadium Park. Maybe it never happened actually, and I dreamed the whole thing.

Last edited by locke40; 06-30-2010, 06:43 AM. Reason: Maybe it never happened.
                sigpic

Comment

It seems to me that Pre Renovation Yankee Stadium's Home Plate at Heritage Field would be the pitchers mound and Post Renovation Yankee Stadium's Home Plate at Heritage Field would be 2nd Base am I about right?

Comment

Gate 2 Terra Cotta Panels

Looks like elements of Gate 2 may and should end up in the new proposed park on the existing Yankee Stadium site.

In the end it looks as if all who put forth the effort to Save Gate 2 may have accomplished something. Thumbs up to myself and others if this indeed becomes a reality.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 07-01-2010, 08:04 PM.
                    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

The name change was suggested at a design commission hearing in February and erroneously reported as fact in a press release by The Committee to Commemorate Old Yankee Stadium.

This was, in all likely hood, nothing more than a miscommunication, as the same hearing also delivered the final nail in the coffin for Gate 2 and the efforts to preserve it.

I have not seen anything beyond its mention at that hearing since then, including the final hearing for Heritage Field in April (might have been May, I'm not positive). So as it stands, we are likely looking at Heritage Field for a final name.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
                        I actually agree with you, Heritage Field sounds like some team's minor league or spring training stadium. They should name it Stadium Field or Stadium Park like you said.

I'd rather they named it after a famous Yankee who played there.... Pepitone Park has a nice ring to it! .... No, seriously, Lou Gehrig Field, Babe Ruth Field, etc, those would be much better than "Heritage Field."

Comment

Congratulations..

Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
                          Looks like elements of Gate 2 may and should end up in the new proposed park on the existing Yankee Stadium site.

In the end it looks as if all who put forth the effort to Save Gate 2 may have accomplished something. Thumbs up to myself and others if this indeed becomes a reality.

Congrats, YS1923..
                          Like you said, at least your efforts came through to a certain extent..
                          "We're relying on you to take the memories from this stadium, and add them to the new memories we make at the new Yankee Stadium, and continue to pass them on from generation to generation." Derek Jeter: September 21, 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by florida_yankee_fan View Post
                            Maybe this was brought up previously but...If they plan on including an outline of the original Yankee Stadium field drawn with contrasting grass--why cant that just be the field--or why cant they just situate the actual infield there instead of having the overlap as shown in the renderings?
                            makes for too much dead space behind the new field backstop.
                            with other fields facing towards this one the maximum distance is needed for the outfield overlap.
                            these are supposed to be fields to be used, not a museum...
                            the turd in the punchbowl
                            reality really sucks.
                            enjoy the game more...

Comment

Site visit report - July 1, 2010

Went up to the site after work yesterday. It was my first time there since May 17. Pictures to come later tonight, but meanwhile...
                              • There's an "excavation" along the bleacher area, from left field to right.
                              • Huge piles of dirt in the outfield near the bleachers, presumably dirt that was dug up to create the "excavation."
                              • The area where Tuesday's groundbreaking ceremonies took place was still "marked" - that's not the most accurate word, there weren't any podiums or chairs or anything like that... but if you went to the site, having seen pictures of the ceremony, you'd say to yourself 'that's where it happened.'
                              • There's a small hole in the blue construction fence, covered with plexiglass, where you can look in and get a street-level view of the site. It's on 157th Street near the Gate 6 site, almost across from the entrance to the 153rd Street Garage that's always open.
                              • The skateboard park at River Avenue and 157th Street, diagonally across from Gate 6, is finished, open to the public, and looks to be a popular spot already.
                              • The River Avenue Playground, also at River and 157th Street but directly across from Gate 6, is not open yet but appears to be nearing completion.
                              • The bowling alley across the street from the site is closed, undergoing renovation.
                              X
                              What's THAT guy doing?
                              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

Originally posted by DN4L View Post
                                Here's a photo from today's ceremony, that I found on the internet...

Insult to injury

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X