X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by gman5431 View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree. I have been to both parks, and it may be my Midwestern bias, but i actually liked PNC Park better than whatever they call the ballpark in SF this week. Dont get me wrong, both are beautiful and the view of the bay in SF is stunning. I guess i have just been to Pitt's park more times (5 to 1) and have had some great experiences there. But anyone who says they prefer, SF to Pitt, i really have no argument to that, because they are both such top of the line. It would be like saying you would rather have Hank Aaron or Roberto Clemente, either way you are going to have a gem.

G Man
    Well, Tony's been to the SF park a *little* more than PNC

Leave a comment:

• gman5431
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black View Post
    pnc is terrific. but pac bell, i feel, rates slightly higher.
    I have to respectfully disagree. I have been to both parks, and it may be my Midwestern bias, but i actually liked PNC Park better than whatever they call the ballpark in SF this week. Dont get me wrong, both are beautiful and the view of the bay in SF is stunning. I guess i have just been to Pitt's park more times (5 to 1) and have had some great experiences there. But anyone who says they prefer, SF to Pitt, i really have no argument to that, because they are both such top of the line. It would be like saying you would rather have Hank Aaron or Roberto Clemente, either way you are going to have a gem.

G Man

Leave a comment:

• VTSoxFan
    replied
    Originally posted by west coast orange and black
    heck, i don't kid about baseball games.
    third row in either the loge... or infield grandstand...of section 17 or 18! i can not recall what my friend told me.
    (sorry that it took so long to get back to you on this, annie.)
    Very cool! We'll have to run into each other! A tip: Fenway is open 2 hours before game time, so you can see the last half of home batting practice and all of the visitors' BP. A good place to catch a souvenir would be where the stands stick out on the left side, and near Pesky's Pole. If you want to get there REALLY early, they have warning-track tours between 9am and noon (or did last year, anyway.) Tours after noon were restricted to the stands, luxury suites, Legends Suite, Monster Seats, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Pirates51
    replied
    baseball & BBQ

A friend and I have a May trip planned to KC to see Sosa and the Orioles. I'm hoping for a quick run to Bradenton in March to catch a pre-season Pirate game. I've never seen a Grapefuit game.

Leave a comment:

• BaseballNut8
    replied
    I am going to the Reds/Red Sox Game June 15. There are six of us going we have seats in the Grandstand Section 24 and Right Field Roof that we are using. I also have 4 in section 87 that I have to sell. Seems to be a popular series. When I called the Red Sox ticket office a couple days before tix went on sale she told me she has talked to 20 people that day from Cincinnati about tickets.

Leave a comment:

• west coast orange and black
    replied
    Originally posted by VTSoxFan
    No Kidding? I have 3 tix to see the Reds/Sox game on June 13. Infield Grandstand Section 18. Where are you sitting?
    heck, i don't kid about baseball games.
    third row in either the loge... or infield grandstand...of section 17 or 18! i can not recall what my friend told me.
    (sorry that it took so long to get back to you on this, annie.)

Leave a comment:

• totalautoracing
    replied
    That trip sounds awesome. I did 10 games in 9 days last year including Comerica, Skydome, Wrigley & PNC. The rest were minor leagues. Skydome is relatively boring but the surrounding area is really nice. Where are you staying in Toronto? I would recommend the University area. Comerica is a great stadium but it doesn't have the view that PNC has. Sightlines are a little below average for a new stadium but overall I would give it an A-.

When exactly are you going?

Leave a comment:

• BaseballNut8
    replied
    Ultimate International Trip

Trip Schedule
    Friday - CIN - Great American
    Saturday - PHL - Citizens Bank
    Sunday - NYM - Shea
    Monday - BAL - Camden
    Tuesday - NYY - Yankee
    Wednesday - BOS - Fenway
    Thursday - Cooperstown
    Friday - TOR - Rogers Center (AKA Skydome)
    Saturday - CLE - Jacobs Field
    Sunday - DET - Comerica

Leave a comment:

• Donnybrook @ Second base
    replied
    There are games there all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    The stadium is used all the time in season, I believe. On my first trip, in 1983, there was some sort of high school tournament going on. I am of the understanding this type of thing still goes on.

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    Time passes, and memory fades

Thanks, RMB, Doubleday Field in Cooperstown was on our itinerary, and I don't recall anything but the main entrance looking much like an old schoolhouse, but now that I dusted off some of the cobwebs, I realized the Yankees v. Milwaukee Braves game scheduled for June of '62 was rained out. In fact, the whole day was kind of misty and soggy, but it didn't dampen the spirits of the folks who turned out in droves for the inductions of Jackie Robinson and Bob Feller. Found another link:

www.ballparkreviews.com/ctown/ctown.htm
    Last edited by trosmok; 02-10-2005, 01:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Donnybrook @ Second base
    replied
    Doubleday field is cool, its all bleachers with and old fashion grandstand that doesn't go much past the bases. The rest is highchool type aluminum bleachers.

I went for the first time last September and am already planning my next trip.

Leave a comment:

• RuthMayBond
    replied
    Originally posted by trosmok
    Tenatively planning a trip in early June. First stop is Columbus Clippers (AAA Yankees) v. Ottawa Lynx (AAA Orioles) June 7. Next will be Pirates v. Orioles June 8 at PNC, and I'm sure all the positive reviews have still not captured the beauty; heard repeatedly the second smallest park in MLB must be seen to be appreciated. I had hoped to catch a Cleveland game en route back home, but they'll be out in SD and SF. Last stop will be Toledo for a Mud Hens (AAA Tigers) v. Pawtucket (AAA Red Sox) on June 9, but might spend an extra day in Pittsburgh, and the PawSox will still be there on the 10th. The Lynx come to Toledo for a four game stand June 11-14, but I'll likely be back home for the IndyIndians (IL Pirates) series v. Rochester Red Wings (IL Twins) by then.

You'll love Cooperstown, VTSoxFan, but I can't be of much help on must see and stuff to do, on account of the fact it has been 40+ years since I've been there. The Red Sox play the Tigers on May 23rd, and I'm more than a little envious, but I'm curious about the Cooperstown ballpark. Is it used for anything besides the HOF game? Anyone have a first hand review of the field?
    http://www.baseballhalloffame.com/ho...story/1939.htm

Leave a comment:

• trosmok
    replied
    Big circle

Tenatively planning a trip in early June. First stop is Columbus Clippers (AAA Yankees) v. Ottawa Lynx (AAA Orioles) June 7. Next will be Pirates v. Orioles June 8 at PNC, and I'm sure all the positive reviews have still not captured the beauty; heard repeatedly the second smallest park in MLB must be seen to be appreciated. I had hoped to catch a Cleveland game en route back home, but they'll be out in SD and SF. Last stop will be Toledo for a Mud Hens (AAA Tigers) v. Pawtucket (AAA Red Sox) on June 9, but might spend an extra day in Pittsburgh, and the PawSox will still be there on the 10th. The Lynx come to Toledo for a four game stand June 11-14, but I'll likely be back home for the IndyIndians (IL Pirates) series v. Rochester Red Wings (IL Twins) by then.

You'll love Cooperstown, VTSoxFan, but I can't be of much help on must see and stuff to do, on account of the fact it has been 40+ years since I've been there. The Red Sox play the Tigers on May 23rd, and I'm more than a little envious, but I'm curious about the Cooperstown ballpark. Is it used for anything besides the HOF game? Anyone have a first hand review of the field?

Leave a comment:

• Captain Cold Nose
    replied
    Originally posted by VTSoxFan
    It sure is my first visit, and I can't wait! If you have any advice as to What To Be Sure Not To Miss, I'd be grateful.

Once you have figured out what you need from the shop, PM me with the details, and we'll arrange things from there!
    The museum itself takes at least two days to fully appreciate it, it's that good. And the library is an incredible place to do research. Outside of that, the town does kind of shut down once the museum does for the day.

You can take all day going from store to store. There is an endless amount of rare treasures you can't find at your local store. As a Yaz fan, I have found quite a bit of stuff I had never seen before or heard of.

That's pretty much it. Dining is passable. There's a seafood place off the lake where you can get lobster real cheap (which is nice if you're stuck in Ohio, but probably not so impressive the further East you are.) and the family-style restaurants get the job done. If you can take it, check out Clete Boyer's little restaurant about a mile or so south of Main Street. It's loaded with autographed photos of Yankee heroes. But the food is not bad, and you don't pay for eating at an athlete-owned joint.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X