Delorimier Stadium - Montreal QC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delorimier Stadium - Montreal QC

I had a book about the history of the Montreal Royals baseball team (the one that Jackie Robinson played for before being called up by the Brooklyn Dodgers) and I had read about their ballpark, Delorimier Stadium, which was torn down between 1969-1971, IIRC.

What were the dimensions down the lines and in center field? I believe it was 341 ft. down the left field line, 421 ft. to center, and 293 ft. to right.

Also, does anyone know about the heights of the walls?
    MISSISSIPPI BRAVES 10TH SEASON IN THE SOUTHERN LEAGUE 2005-2014

MontrealStadiumAER.jpgstadiumLorimier.jpgdeormier outside.jpg

Here are some pics of Old Delormier stadium in Montreal. It was torn down in 1960. Many today say that if it was still around in 1969 when the Expos came into the league, it may be still in use today. It seated 20000. With seats in the bleacher sections, a small upper deck, and luxury suits added, It would resemble something like what Fenway did through out the years.

Comment

whoa...that was one sweet looking stadium

Comment

Cool place, the outside looks like those old basketball arenas like chicago stadium.
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Reminded me of slugger field in Louisville upon first glance

Comment

There is some beautiful color footage of Delormier Stadium in the HBO documentary "When It Was A Game".
            They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

A few pics of this wonderful ballpark (thanks to Le présent du passé Montréal.'s for the pics)...

4527410070_76a750ca7d_b.jpg5538948778_da95e78eef_b.jpg5194036974_817ec1a563_b.jpg

Comment

Those are some awesome pics of that wonderful ballpark. Thanks much, CCG, for finding and sharing them!
                Put it in the books.

Comment

More...

VM94-Z135-1.jpgjuin%u00252B1948%2Bstade%2Bdelorimier.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by milladrive View Post
                    Those are some awesome pics of that wonderful ballpark. Thanks much, CCG, for finding and sharing them!
                    No problem! I appreciate all the work you've put into the quick search, I wouldn't have found this thread if it wasn't for that useful index...

Comment

Originally posted by Capital City Goofball View Post
                      No problem! I appreciate all the work you've put into the quick search, I wouldn't have found this thread if it wasn't for that useful index...
                      That's one of the nicest things anyone has said to me in a long time. Thank you for that recognition, sir!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]106965[/ATTACH]
                      That mascot clown reminds me of Emmett Kelly, Brooklyn's mascot. Very similar "Weary Willie" looks and facial features.
                      Put it in the books.

Comment

Programme for a soccer friendly played at the stadium (Thanks to Celtic Programmes Online for the image)

Comment

1946montrealroyals.jpeg

Massive size

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...No=80964#Photo
                          Last edited by alpineinc; 01-11-2019, 08:00 AM.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                          https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

wow awesome

Comment

My understanding is that the Montreal school board bought the facility in 1967 and began converting it into a school. As one of the above photos shows, it was also wedged into an area that offered little parking.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X