Fenway Park and Wrigley Field Preservations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fenway Park and Wrigley Field Preservations

Fenway Park and Wrigley Field are the last two remaining historic ballparks from the early 20th Century. Fenway opened in 1912, Wrigley opened in 1914 for the Federal League and the Cubs started to play there in 1916. Do you think these ballparks will ever be replaced?

Probably, given time.

Comment

Eventually. Everything has a life cycle. Birth, growth, maturity/glory years, decline, death. Fenway and Wrigley are sort of like the old people in the Guinness Book of World Records who have much greater longevity than other people. But even the old people in the Guinness Book of World Records die eventually.

Comment

I sincerely hope so...at least with Wrigley. I haven't been to Fenway for 15 years, so I don't know how the renovations have actually helped that place, but Wriglely is a dump.
        Doc Blume

Cubbie Doctor's Examiner

Comment

I would predict that one or both will not be home to an MLB team within 25 years.

Comment

I could see Wrigley hanging around, the Cubs can play at New Comiskey and have major renovations like they did with Yankee Stadium. The Red Sox don't really have an option for a major renovation although I find in hard to think that either of these park are going anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by vintage View Post
              I could see Wrigley hanging around, the Cubs can play at New Comiskey and have major renovations like they did with Yankee Stadium. The Red Sox don't really have an option for a major renovation although I find in hard to think that either of these park are going anywhere.
              If Fenway needs to be renovated or demolished or ends up out of action for whatever reason, where would the Red Sox play in the interim?

I don't think the Red Sox would want to share Yankee Stadium.
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Having been to fenway it would be a down right criminality to do anything except upkeep and preserve it. It is a precious relic of baseball that should stand until it is structurally unsound and even then efforts should be made for it to stand in the same spot as the same structure for a long as possible. Everthing baseball is about in terms of history is what Fenway conveys.
                :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                  If Fenway needs to be renovated or demolished or ends up out of action for whatever reason, where would the Red Sox play in the interim?
                  Pawtucket? Only about 10,000 seats but I really can't think of another option.

Comment

Originally posted by vintage View Post
                    I could see Wrigley hanging around, the Cubs can play at New Comiskey and have major renovations like they did with Yankee Stadium.
                    I can see exactly this happening. We still haven't heard what the extent of the "Wrigley 2014" plan will be, and I expect this offseason will shed some light on that. While I love Wrigley Field, I would be fine with a complete, back to the steel renovation of the grandstand. It worked very well in the bleachers, and could work there too. Wrigley is more about setting (neighborhood) than the ballpark itself anyway, so whatever the Cubs can do to maintain, the better (IMHO).

That said, I know there are others who disagree, and feel Wrigley is a detrement to the Cubs success (and that day games are a big part of the reason), and those people would rather just see it gone. I think you can have the best of both worlds (a modern park and the neighborhood), and with Daly leaving office, perhaps a better deal on playing more night games could be negotiated...

Comment

If they can tear down Yankee Stadium, they can and will tear down Wrigley and Fenway when the time comes.
                      They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

MLB should do everything in its power to keep Fenway and Wrigley around forever - its good for the game, promoting the history, preservation of the past, etc...you need places like these to stay around- just a shame that Yankee Stadium was a casualty. I think had they not renovated it in the 70's, kept it original until the 90's, it could have been better renovated in order to keep/preserve its original condition. I know the new stadium is a cash cow to them, but there are ways now to renovate and make them better- Fenway looks great, it still has that old feel to it and the Red Sox have been able to benefit from it despite the small capacity, plus the new amenities there don't take away from the actual game experience as they do at Yankee Stadium- its nice to go to a place where the majority of people actually stay in their seats and watch a game rather than go to a restaurant or bar within the stadium to watch it on tv. I really hope Wrigley and Fenway stick around for at least my lifetime
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
                          If they can tear down Yankee Stadium, they can and will tear down Wrigley and Fenway when the time comes.
                          While in theory this is true, specifically as it pertains to Wrigley, as long as Tom Ricketts owns the Cubs, the odds aren't very good...

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly85MVP View Post
                            rather than go to a restaurant or bar within the stadium to watch it on tv
                            This idioticness has always amazed me...You go and pay all of this money to see the game live then you go a bar or restaurant with no view of the game and watch it on TV anyways. I had a couple of friends go to NYY Steak right before the first inning (during a Yanks-Red Sox game no less) and they did not leave until the SEVENTH INNING. How dumb is that???? Makes NO sense whatsoever.

Think about that, the tix are more expensive so that you can watch less of the game live...
                            :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                            Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Originally posted by trepye View Post
                              This idioticness has always amazed me...You go and pay all of this money to see the game live then you go a bar or restaurant with no view of the game and watch it on TV anyways. I had a couple of friends go to NYY Steak right before the first inning (during a Yanks-Red Sox game no less) and they did not leave until the SEVENTH INNING. How dumb is that???? Makes NO sense whatsoever.

Think about that, the tix are more expensive so that you can watch less of the game live...
                              That's called a cover charge, right?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X