3D Model of Dodger Stadium (2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Model of Dodger Stadium (2010)

I've been working on a 3D model of Dodger Stadium for the past 9 mos or so. I work for the Dodgers so technically, I was being paid for it but had to work it into my schedule between everything else I had to do. It was very off and on, more off than on.

I built this model using Cinema 4D. I had come from a Lightwave 3D background and used this model to learn Cinema, the hard way. Overall, I like Cinema 4D better than LW but there are pros and cons to each for sure. I was afraid at the outset that I would end up redoing a lot of the work for the simple fact that I was jumping into the program cold but surprisingly, I've had to redo very little of it twice.

As far as detail goes, I sort of went half way. Some of the model is very detailed, other parts not so much. I wasn't going for historical accuracy. This is sort of a means to an end. I'll be using it in animations for features and anything we need it to do; from showing prospective season ticket holders the view from their seat, to potential sponsors where their signage would go, to create some cool animated openings to our in-game features etc. By taking on this project, I've become very familiar with the stadium so I know the parts that aren't quite right but it still amazes me when I notice something I hadn't noticed before!

My original idea was that I was just going to create the interior of the stadium but I'm now creating the exterior. If you've never been to Dodger Stadium, the stadium is built into the side of a hill, with home plate being up against the hill. The parking lots are terraced on each level of the stadium. I will be stylizing the parking lot area but even then, it's going to be a pain in the butt and I'm not looking forward to it! I marvel at the detail of the Yankee stadium models I've seen on this site but I can't justify spending the time it would take to do that!

It's still a work in progress. The images I've posted are for night shots obviously and after I finish the exterior, I'll be creating a daylight scene as well. The lighting of the night scene has been difficult. I still don't have it dialed in. In the actual stadium, there's actually quite a bit of the seating that doesn't get a whole lot of light. When representing that digitally, it looks like I didn't do it right but that's how it looks for real, for the most part.

In the 3 images I've posted, the 3rd one isn't lit correctly(!). I used something called global illumination which tends to make for more realistic renderings but I've got way too much light going on. The other two images are more representative of what it will actually look like.

Anyway, it's been a fun process but I really need to finish it and move on! With no postseason this year, I'd like to wrap it up by the end of October. I'll try to post some other views of the stadium soon.
    Attached Files

Looks grate monkey. So how did you get started with this project?
    Did you have blueprints to go off of or did you walk around with a tape measure all the time?
    Can I ask what your real job with the Dodgers is?
    But once again it looks grate Mr. Torre.
    sigpic

Comment

My real job with the Dodgers is former manag...I mean motion graphics coordinator in the Sports Lab dept (Broadcasting). I started here August of 2009 and one of the first questions I asked was "where's the 3d model of the stadium?", not knowing that the dept had just been created earlier that year. So, I took it upon myself to create the model so that we'd have it for our projects and for me to learn Cinema 4D.

Yes, I had blueprints. The stadium went through a remodel of the field level (among other things) in 2006(?) so the blueprints had been recently updated. Even though it would've been near impossible to do without the blueprints, not having access to the stadium would've also made it extremely tough. I'm very lucky that if I need to see how something looks from a certain angle, I can just walk out and look at the actual stadium!

There are plans to renovate the stadium in the next couple of years so I will be constantly tinkering with the model, I'm sure.

Comment

Outstanding work. However, I would have preferred all that work to go into a park that we can no longer see....but of course it's your time to do what you please with it, and it looks amazing. And, of course, your employer wouldn't have had much use for a 3D model of a ballpark that you didn't use

Comment

I guess I'll put Ebbets Field on my "to do" list!

Comment

Dodger Stadium Seating Bowl Cross Section and Location of Escalators

Monkey...I recently purchased a 1962 Civil Engineering magazine that detailed how the structure of Dodger Stadium was designed and built. The article also detailed a seating bowl cross section that presented all of the various decks and the number of rows per deck...a great find since I have never seen anything like that in any publication before, not even on the Walter O'Malley web site.
            Could you please answer a question on the stadium (since I have not been to the stadium)... are their escalators that allow customers to go from each deck, and if so, where are they located using the attached illustration?
            If there is a better cross-section illustration available from the blueprints you have access to, would you consider posting to this site?

Gooberkitty
            Attached Files

Comment

I can check with our engineers but I doubt I can post any blueprint images. But what you've got here is basically what I have as far as a side view. As far as escalators go...there is a up escalator and a down escalator on the field level, dead center behind home plate. This goes up to the Loge Level. Then there's an escalator that switches back which takes you from Loge to Club level. So...in relation to your image, the first escalators go up from the 512.3 elevation level to the 540.2 elevation. Then you get off the escalator make a 90 degree turn and take an escalator which goes to the 549.8 elevation.

Dodger Stadium is kind of segregated...you can't freely go up and down between sections/levels. Each level has entrances from the back and the field level has entrances from the sides, by the bullpens. There are stairwells and elevators but this is mostly for staff or if you're in the Loge level, you can enter from the Reserved level and go down but there's staff at each level checking tickets.

This side view is kind of off though. On the first tier/field level it's been changed. It goes down a bit lower now. They added box seats to the field level in 2006, which had previously been foul territory as well as seats behind home plate.

Comment

Monkey---great work! Just curious---how many polys are each seat, how big is your file, and are you rendering on a 64-bit machine?

Comment

Thanks. The seats have approx 15,000 polys each. I used render instances for the seats but it really, really upped the file size. I might hold the record for a Cinema 4D file...3.41 gigs. And it's a little clunky trying to move around but if you turn objects off when you don't need them, it's not too bad. I should've gone a little lower res on the seats but I knew we might be using this for sight views and I didn't want the seats getting faceted so I went for it.

I'm using a Mac Pro/Quad Core Intel Xeon/12 gigs of ram. I'm pretty sure I'm running in 64 bit mode.

Comment

This is wonderful work. I look forward to seeing the day shots and hill. The system and software you are operating on sounds so far beyond the architectural modeling software, 3d max, su, revit, that I know or may interact with. I do not have the system or setup to handle a 3 gig file. That sounds fantastic. I have been wondering how big bhockey3 Yankee stadium model is.

Comment

Thank you. Yeah, the hill is also a potential problem! It's such a part of the stadium but my file is already huge and adding all of that land mass is a little daunting. I've tinkered with the idea of just creating a panoramic image map for the hill/Think Blue sign but you're really limited to the camera angles you can use. The night shots can cheat that a little bit but the day shot will show it all.

And because I'm learning how to use this software, I'm assuming there were things I could've done differently to help optimize the file. But, I'm pretty sure it's the seats and there's no way around that. I haven't counted the seats but the stadium has something like 56,000 seats (including the pavilions) and I'll bet I'm pretty close to that.

When I feel like I'm at a point where I'm not making wholesale changes, I will probably break up the model into sections so that it's a little more manageable to use.

Comment

Overhead shot, obviously. Am working on the exterior today which you won't see in a night shot anyway for the most part. I think I have a handle on how I'm going to create the outside of the stadium without getting too detailed.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Monkey---do you have actual lights in the light fixtures? 3.4 gigs--wow! I'm at 139mb. Just the LF straight side (metalwork, seats, chairs stands, and railings) reads as 18.5 million polys. Thank the 3d gods for instancing.

Comment

bh, yes and no; not individual lights. I have a spotlight positioned on each major light tower pointing down into the stadium. I put in individual lens flare/point lights that have no intensity on each light within each tower. At a distance, they blur together but close up you can see each one has it's own glow.

I'm pretty sure that instancing is what's creating the bulk of that 3.4 gigs but it renders pretty quick. This image took about 5 minutes. I originally thought about using HDRI lighting but I did a test and it was like 20 minutes a frame. It looked beautiful but I can't justify that. Although...we've got about 10-15 machines in our dept and as soon as the off season is official, I'm going to try to figure out how to get a network render farm set up. 20 minutes a frame rendered over 10 machines is a little bit more doable.

Comment

And to make things even more crazy, I'm going to try to put fans in the seats. This won't happen for quite awhile but it's definitely in my plans. Everyone who's seen it has said "Looks great. Where's all the people?" And they've got a point but first things first.

Geek speak: I think I'm going to do it by mapping a image map (video shot of fans on green screen) row by row and placing the image map on a polygon, one polygon per row of seats/per section. It will only work on certain camera angles; mostly field level looking up into the stands.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X