Tropicana Field / Thunderdome / Florida Suncoast Dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropicana Field / Thunderdome / Florida Suncoast Dome

I posted this picture on another thread, but I think it deserves its own. I came across a picture of the Florida Suncoast Dome, which was renamed Tropicana Field in 1998 when the Rays started their franchise.

I'm not sure of the date of this picture, but it is definitely long before the Rays started play, and most likely before the Tampa Bay Lightning played there for several years as well. This set up is probably what the Tampa Bay Giants would have played in 1993 if the move from San Francisco wasn't blocked. If you look carefully, you can see the spots where the dirt cutout sliding pits would be on the field--note that when the Rays came to town, they went with the traditional dirt base path infield.

Now take a look at how Tropicana Field looks today:

Besides the added billaboards and scoreboards, there is also the Beach deck in left field which was added on in 1998. There is also the centerfield restaraunt where presumably that space was empty previously. Also note that there are more infield seats, which makes the foul territory a lot smaller. And the assymetrical field dimensions probably wouldn't have existed had the Giants moved there in 1993.

I think no matter what criticisms you may have about the Trop, it still is a lot nicer and livelier than what it could have been.

Ah the good old Suncoast Dome----Home of the Florida White Sox---NOT!!haha

Comment

Originally posted by soxnut67 View Post
      Ah the good old Suncoast Dome----Home of the Florida White Sox---NOT!!haha
      Yes, and another example of crooked Chicago/Illinois politics.

BTW...I still have my Florida White Sox t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
        I posted this picture on another thread, but I think it deserves its own. I came across a picture of the Florida Suncoast Dome, which was renamed Tropicana Field in 1998 when the Rays started their franchise.

I'm not sure of the date of this picture, but it is definitely long before the Rays started play, and most likely before the Tampa Bay Lightning played there for several years as well. This set up is probably what the Tampa Bay Giants would have played in 1993 if the move from San Francisco wasn't blocked. If you look carefully, you can see the spots where the dirt cutout sliding pits would be on the field--note that when the Rays came to town, they went with the traditional dirt base path infield.

Now take a look at how Tropicana Field looks today:

Besides the added billaboards and scoreboards, there is also the Beach deck in left field which was added on in 1998. There is also the centerfield restaraunt where presumably that space was empty previously. Also note that there are more infield seats, which makes the foul territory a lot smaller. And the assymetrical field dimensions probably wouldn't have existed had the Giants moved there in 1993.

I think no matter what criticisms you may have about the Trop, it still is a lot nicer and livelier than what it could have been.
        It was before the Lightning because the scoreboard had not been hung from the roof yet.

Comment

Does anybody have a picture of the Trop when the hockey rink was set up for the Lightning?
          1997 2003
          Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

Originally posted by Reds41 View Post

they went as far as making shirts? wow i didn't know they came that close to moving. do you have a picture of the shirt?

Comment

Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
              Does anybody have a picture of the Trop when the hockey rink was set up for the Lightning?
              I've looked and looked in the past but have been unable to find one.
              -Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Reds41 View Post

Yes, and sometimes it's a beautiful thing!!

But in general, it's pathetic, especially now. It's amazing how states and cities that tax the **** out of you are always the ones that are broke.
                Last edited by soxnut67; 03-22-2008, 07:06 AM.

Comment

An early diagram of how the dome would look for baseball:

Comment

Originally posted by marlins739 View Post
                    Only this one:

Comment

Here's one more I found:

Comment

Originally posted by nymdan View Post
                        Here's one more I found:
                        That doesn't look like it's the Thunderdome/Suncoast Dome. Compare it to the previous picture that is obviously the Thunderdome. The seating deck looks very different, especially how deep the lower level is and second level.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                          That doesn't look like it's the Thunderdome/Suncoast Dome. Compare it to the previous picture that is obviously the Thunderdome. The seating deck looks very different, especially how deep the lower level is and second level.
                          Yeah you're right. It came up from this site on Google Images: http://www.boltsmag.com/2004/04/16/

The site isn't loading now... maybe later it'll work and we can find out what they have to say about the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by xtimx View Post
                            they went as far as making shirts? wow i didn't know they came that close to moving. do you have a picture of the shirt?
                            I will dig it out and take a picture of it.

But, little known fact is that the Florida White Sox were going to be Kelly Green and Gold, instead of navy, red and white. The mock-up of the jersey that I saw had the word "Florida" in a script in green trimmed in gold, with "WHITE SOX" in the tail. The numbers were green trimmed in gold and the names were green one-color. That was on a grey jersey and I didn't see a white jersey. The caps were all green with a "SOX" in gold straight across like the caps the White Sox were using at the time, except in green and gold.

When the Giants were going to move to Tampa Bay, they were going to keep the black and orange colors and the home jerseys. The road jerseys were going to have "Tampa Bay" on the front in the fame font that "Giants" were on the home jerseys and the other up for consideration was an interlocking "TB" like the interlocking "SF" the Giants used at the time. I didn't see the caps. I guess that they could have continued to use the "SF" for "South Florida" because the Marlins weren't born yet, I don't think.

Comment

Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                              That is not The Dome. That is The St. Pete Times Forum, aka The Ice Palace, over in Tampa.

The caption below that picture on that web page is:

"St. Pete Times Forum, AKA Ice Palace, AKA Times Palace — 2004 Playoffs"

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X