replied
    For those who care with Sunday plans -

May 21st vs the Guardians is a 7 PM ESPN game
    August 27 vs the Angels is a 12:05 PM Peacock game

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    Originally posted by robardin View Post

Yes, I attended, and was very impressed with the care and respect to the Mets’ history on display.

The surprise retirement of Willie Mays’ number was a particularly nice touch - for those in the know, it had nothing to do with what Mays accomplished as a Met or even necessarily as a “New York National League hero” (similar to Jackie Robinson being honored in the Rotunda), but the fact that Joan Payson, the original owner and one of the biggest reasons the Mets even exist as a team, had made a personal promise to Mays that his number would never be used again by any other Mets player when trading for him.

The Wilpons broke that promise again, and again.

And Steve Cohen definitively set that wrong right.

Couple that with his statements to the effect that despite his riches, he does not regard the Mets as a toy or an ego vanity but himself as the caretaker of a legacy - how can you not love that? Oh, plus the deepest pockets in MLB, that too, of course
    100% TRUTH . This post nails it completely .

Leave a comment:

• robardin
    replied
    Originally posted by Mongoose View Post

Thanks. Great. All things considered, going after regular citizens for nickles and dimes is bad policy.

I was looking at this thread, and saw these older comments regarding Old Timer's Day.

Wondering if anybody opposed changed their minds? Did you attend Robardin? If so, how'd you like it?

Most considered it a big success. Pure Mets culture; first time in a long time. I thought it was awesome.
    Yes, I attended, and was very impressed with the care and respect to the Mets’ history on display.

The surprise retirement of Willie Mays’ number was a particularly nice touch - for those in the know, it had nothing to do with what Mays accomplished as a Met or even necessarily as a “New York National League hero” (similar to Jackie Robinson being honored in the Rotunda), but the fact that Joan Payson, the original owner and one of the biggest reasons the Mets even exist as a team, had made a personal promise to Mays that his number would never be used again by any other Mets player when trading for him.

The Wilpons broke that promise again, and again.

And Steve Cohen definitively set that wrong right.

Couple that with his statements to the effect that despite his riches, he does not regard the Mets as a toy or an ego vanity but himself as the caretaker of a legacy - how can you not love that? Oh, plus the deepest pockets in MLB, that too, of course

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Most considered it a big success. Pure Mets culture; first time in a long time. I thought it was awesome.
    My initial reaction was that the Old Timer's game seemed a little more casual than I was expecting... especially how it didn't go beyond the middle of the 2nd inning even though the "home" team was behind.

But later, watching it again on You Tube, I came away with a feeling that it was that very casualness that reflected Met culture vs. Yankee culture. I've never attended, or even watched, a Yankees Old Timer's game, but my feeling is that they were played as "straight" ballgames with all the seriousness of regular games (within the context of Old Timer's Day, of course).

On the left field ramp at Citi Field, there are a couple of signs implying that the attendee is going to have fun at the game. In the few times I've been there, I don't recall seeing any signage at Yankee Stadium referring to fun.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe B View Post

Mongoose, I read it in the Post. If you google IRS $600,00 threshold there is a lot of articles. Below is from the IRS Website.

2022-226, December 23, 2022

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service today announced a delay in reporting thresholds for third-party settlement organizations set to take effect for the upcoming tax filing season.

As a result of this delay, third-party settlement organizations will not be required to report tax year 2022 transactions on a Form 1099-K to the IRS or the payee for the lower, $600 threshold amount enacted as part of the American Rescue Plan of 2021.

As part of this, the IRS released guidance today outlining that calendar year 2022 will be a transition period for implementation of the lowered threshold reporting for third-party settlement organizations (TPSOs) that would have generated Form 1099-Ks for taxpayers.

"The IRS and Treasury heard a number of concerns regarding the timeline of implementation of these changes under the American Rescue Plan," said Acting IRS Commissioner Doug O'Donnell. "To help smooth the transition and ensure clarity for taxpayers, tax professionals and industry, the IRS will delay implementation of the 1099-K changes. The additional time will help reduce confusion during the upcoming 2023 tax filing season and provide more time for taxpayers to prepare and understand the new reporting requirements."

The American Rescue Plan of 2021 changed the reporting threshold for TPSOs. The new threshold for business transactions is $600 per year; changed from the previous threshold of more than 200 transactions per year, exceeding an aggregate amount of $20,000. The law is not intended to track personal transactions such as sharing the cost of a car ride or meal, birthday or holiday gifts, or paying a family member or another for a household bill.

Under the law, beginning January 1, 2023, a TPSO is required to report third-party network transactions paid in 2022 with any participating payee that exceed a minimum threshold of $600 in aggregate payments, regardless of the number of transactions. TPSOs report these transactions by providing individual payee's an IRS Form 1099-K, Payment Card and Third-Party Network Transactions.

The transition period described in Notice 2023-10PDF, delays the reporting of transactions in excess of $600 to transactions that occur after calendar year 2022. The transition period is intended to facilitate an orderly transition for TPSO tax compliance, as well as individual payee compliance with income tax reporting. A participating payee, in the case of a third-party network transaction, is any person who accepts payment from a third-party settlement organization for a business transaction.

The change under the law is hugely important because tax compliance is higher when amounts are subject to information reporting, like the Form 1099-K. However, the IRS noted it must be managed carefully to help ensure that 1099-Ks are only issued to taxpayers who should receive them. In addition, it's important that taxpayers understand what to do as a result of this reporting, and tax preparers and software providers have the information they need to assist taxpayers.

Additional details on the delay will be available in the near future along with additional information to help taxpayers and the industry. For taxpayers who may have already received a 1099-K as a result of the statutory changes, the IRS is working rapidly to provide instructions and clarity so that taxpayers understand what to do.

The IRS also noted that the existing 1099-K reporting threshold of $20,000 in payments from over 200 transactions will remain in effect.
    Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 23-Dec-2022
    Thanks. Great. All things considered, going after regular citizens for nickles and dimes is bad policy.

Originally posted by sheagoodbye1010 View Post

I remember as a kid thinking Oldtimers Day was such an exciting occasion. I remember getting excited just seeing the Original Met, Original Frank Thomas hit a homerun circa 1979.
    As I got older and recalled the Oldtimers from their playing days, I got disinterested. Watching Ron Hodges bat one more time, circa 1993, was sad.
    Seeing the players trying to play again as Oldtimers depressed me. I love seeing the alumni being involved with the team and making appearances. It is always fun seeing guys like Doc, Darryl, Mookie and Franco around the ballpark, but I don’t need to see them try to play.
    I recall one of the last Oldtimers days, they started the festivities about 5pm before a 7pm Saturday night game and Shea was empty. Many fans seem like they want Oldtimers Day but they actually don’t show up.
    I think the Yankees are the only team that still has Oldtimers Day. Hopefully Mr. Cohen does not it back because he thinks the Mets must always try to emulate The Yankees.

Originally posted by robardin View Post

Oh, he's publicly committed to doing it, so I assume it's happening at least the one time as a comeback.

I'm just saying this may not "stick" as an annual thing. But I could be proven wrong. I would like to be proven wrong, TBH, because a ballpark full of engaged and happy fans is ultimately the best outcome for everybody.

Just pointing out that had OTD actually sold out a ballpark, the Wilpons would have done it - and that from a purely logical statement "A->B" point of view, saying the Wilpons unplugged it due to lack of revenue generating fan interest still admits the underlying lack of fan interest. Not just because "non-revenue fan interest" was an intangible they didn't see a value in, but because tickets sold and people showing up didn't happen. There is no point in claiming "Old Timer's Day builds a foundation for kids to be future fans!" if they and their parents don't show up. Which they didn't.

I am pretty sure fan interest is really high right now with the change in ownership because we anticipate a well-run franchise that will truly contend on a consistent basis. If OTD does "stick" it'll be because the ballpark is consistently packed to 90% capacity on summer weekends as a result - and yes, that celebrating Mets History in a full ballpark of engaged and happy fans IS the way to build a future fanbase.

But it's the second part that is critical: filling the ballpark with engaged and happy fans. And THEN steeping them in the history. It doesn't happen the other way around.

And we'll see if more fans "who had already bought tickets" show up for the OTD events/festivities or not. They didn't before, but maybe they would if the overall attitude to the team also shifts (i.e., that "steeping oneself in the Mets" is viewed as a good thing instead of a semi-shameful thing).
    I was looking at this thread, and saw these older comments regarding Old Timer's Day.

Wondering if anybody opposed changed their minds? Did you attend Robardin? If so, how'd you like it?

Leave a comment:

• Joe B
    replied

Post link.​

It's unfortunate that, as the team gets more interesting to watch, the ballpark experience has become less pleasant.

The recorded noise, pitchmen, orders to cheer on demand, etc., form a three hour wall of noise. I wish ownership would correct that.
    Mongoose, I read it in the Post. If you google IRS $600,00 threshold there is a lot of articles. Below is from the IRS Website.

2022-226, December 23, 2022

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service today announced a delay in reporting thresholds for third-party settlement organizations set to take effect for the upcoming tax filing season.

As a result of this delay, third-party settlement organizations will not be required to report tax year 2022 transactions on a Form 1099-K to the IRS or the payee for the lower, $600 threshold amount enacted as part of the American Rescue Plan of 2021.

As part of this, the IRS released guidance today outlining that calendar year 2022 will be a transition period for implementation of the lowered threshold reporting for third-party settlement organizations (TPSOs) that would have generated Form 1099-Ks for taxpayers.

"The IRS and Treasury heard a number of concerns regarding the timeline of implementation of these changes under the American Rescue Plan," said Acting IRS Commissioner Doug O'Donnell. "To help smooth the transition and ensure clarity for taxpayers, tax professionals and industry, the IRS will delay implementation of the 1099-K changes. The additional time will help reduce confusion during the upcoming 2023 tax filing season and provide more time for taxpayers to prepare and understand the new reporting requirements."

The American Rescue Plan of 2021 changed the reporting threshold for TPSOs. The new threshold for business transactions is $600 per year; changed from the previous threshold of more than 200 transactions per year, exceeding an aggregate amount of $20,000. The law is not intended to track personal transactions such as sharing the cost of a car ride or meal, birthday or holiday gifts, or paying a family member or another for a household bill.

Under the law, beginning January 1, 2023, a TPSO is required to report third-party network transactions paid in 2022 with any participating payee that exceed a minimum threshold of $600 in aggregate payments, regardless of the number of transactions. TPSOs report these transactions by providing individual payee's an IRS Form 1099-K, Payment Card and Third-Party Network Transactions.

The transition period described in Notice 2023-10PDF, delays the reporting of transactions in excess of $600 to transactions that occur after calendar year 2022. The transition period is intended to facilitate an orderly transition for TPSO tax compliance, as well as individual payee compliance with income tax reporting. A participating payee, in the case of a third-party network transaction, is any person who accepts payment from a third-party settlement organization for a business transaction.

The change under the law is hugely important because tax compliance is higher when amounts are subject to information reporting, like the Form 1099-K. However, the IRS noted it must be managed carefully to help ensure that 1099-Ks are only issued to taxpayers who should receive them. In addition, it's important that taxpayers understand what to do as a result of this reporting, and tax preparers and software providers have the information they need to assist taxpayers.

Additional details on the delay will be available in the near future along with additional information to help taxpayers and the industry. For taxpayers who may have already received a 1099-K as a result of the statutory changes, the IRS is working rapidly to provide instructions and clarity so that taxpayers understand what to do.

The IRS also noted that the existing 1099-K reporting threshold of $20,000 in payments from over 200 transactions will remain in effect.
    Page Last Reviewed or Updated: 23-Dec-2022

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe B View Post
    Stubhub, E-Bay, Etsy etc. does not have supply your name and information to the IRS if you sell $600.00 or more. It has been delayed one year by the IRS and there is Bipartisan support to keep the old threshold permanently. The current threshold is 200 sales AND $20,000 in one year.
    Post link.​

Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    Jon Heyman- Mets sold $1mil in single game tickets on the day the Correa news broke.
    It's unfortunate that, as the team gets more interesting to watch, the ballpark experience has become less pleasant.

The recorded noise, pitchmen, orders to cheer on demand, etc., form a three hour wall of noise. I wish ownership would correct that.

Leave a comment:

• Joe B
    replied
    Stubhub, E-Bay, Etsy etc. does not have supply your name and information to the IRS if you sell $600.00 or more. It has been delayed one year by the IRS and there is Bipartisan support to keep the old threshold permanently. The current threshold is 200 sales AND $20,000 in one year.

Leave a comment:

• robardin
    replied
    Originally posted by dstoffa View Post
    Went to see what the latest news did to change ticket availability... and wow... Not much left for 20-game Saturday Plans in what I'd consider a good location.

Also went to check on my inventory, and behold, the Mets located me for Opening Day... out in 430. Times have indeed changed.
    I was surprised to see my 2023 tickets already appearing in MLB Ballpark!

My Mets Tickets has no link to Sell On StubHub, but I tested and I could transfer an Opening Day ticket to my son...

Does anyone know the pricing info per tier that sums up to the plan costs?

Leave a comment:

• LI METS FAN
    replied
    Jon Heyman- Mets sold $1mil in single game tickets on the day the Correa news broke.

Leave a comment:

• dstoffa
    replied
    Went to see what the latest news did to change ticket availability... and wow... Not much left for 20-game Saturday Plans in what I'd consider a good location.

Also went to check on my inventory, and behold, the Mets located me for Opening Day... out in 430. Times have indeed changed.

Leave a comment:

• Mister B.
    replied
    It seems that these two new luxury clubs are not accessible to current ticketholders at an added cost. They are actual season plans that include game tickets, but you sit in that club. Empire has 50 seats of which 38 have been sold, apparently to high end, premium account holders because I never got an invite till now (see below). Speakeasy has 8 seats left.

I got an invitation to an event tomorrow evening to tour the spaces in case I want to add them onto my plan (not switch them out; add). Food and drinks to be served, media to attend, pricing not disclosed.

Look, if they want to market a luxury experience to the wealthiest fans, fine by me. Apparently they have buyers. All else aside, personally I wouldn't want to sit in a club located behind the right field fence.

Leave a comment:

• SteveJRogers
    replied

High chairs?
    I’m now imagining a certain wine drinking, but vertically challenged humorist who hosts a highly rated basic cable news late night gab fest show trying to get a seat in this club!

Interestingly enough as well, the bar that Zach Scott allegedly postgamed the Cohen compound soirée at, before snoozing in his car in White Plains, is called The Blind Pig of Westchester.

It is a nice cozy lounge that is very much in the classic style of a 1920s speakeasy, so much so that they call themselves a Speakeasy, despite being very overt about themselves.

I wonder if that, not the incident but the establishment itself, inspired the layout and decor of what the Mets are doing here.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by Mister B. View Post

Guess what - one of the clubs is in fact called the Speakeasy Club:

"Enter through a welcoming lounge reminiscent of classic New York City and you have arrived at Citi Field's new Speakeasy Club. A personal concierge will guide you through a vibrant and intimate hideaway giving subtle nods to the golden age of baseball. The loge box experience will include living room style seating with personal TVs, storage and millwork countertops with a built-in cooler box. Inclusive with your membership, Speakeasy members will enjoy a private bar and an elevated dining experience, featuring a rotating menu paired with alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages"

"The Empire Club is inspired by NYC's nighttime charm and the art deco era of the 20s and 30s. Located on the 3rd base side of the Empire suite level, this is your change to experience the exclusivity of a suite through a personal membership. Empire Club members can enjoy theater style seating, a private bar, and a dedicated waitstaff. The club's elegant atmosphere will feature an all-inclusive drink menu and a premier dining experience from our chefs".
    High chairs?

Leave a comment:

• MookieWilson
    replied
    Thanks very much!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X