Arlington Stadium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arlington Stadium

Couldn't find any old threads dedicated to Arlington Stadium, so I figured I would start one with the photos that I have.

First photo is of the original Turnpike Stadium in 1969, capacity of 10,000.

They were trying to watch costs so much when the stadium was expanded for the 1972 arrival of the Rangers that they built a massive bleacher section with 16,000 seats, almost half of the stadium's 35,000 capacity. As a result, the stadium looked very disjointed to me whenever I watched Yankees - Rangers games on TV. Upper Deck was added later in 1978 bringing capacity up to 41,097. Many publications and sites say the Upper Deck expansion was in 1979, but the Rangers drew crowds of 37-40,000 in 1978 including 40,078 against the Yankees on Opening Day.

First photo is of the original Turnpike Stadium in 1969, capacity of 10,000. You can see the seating set-up was like the cookie cutters (Shea, Busch II, etc.) with the circular second level surrounding the field level seats. Stadium was expanded in 1970 to seat 20,000.

Second photo is during 1971 when the stadium was under construction for the expansion.

Third photo is a packed house during the 1970's before the 1978 Upper Deck. Notice the signature left field scoreboard with the Texas silhouette on it.

Fourth photo is from April 25, 1982 against the Brewers in front of a crowd of 36,866. Charlie Moore is about to step to the plate in the top of the 8th against Danny Darwin with the Brewers leading 7-6.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Originally posted by sflnyc View Post
    Couldn't find any old threads dedicated to Arlington Stadium . . .
    I've already posted these in the "my ballpark photos" thread, but it's good to have separate threads devoted to individual ballparks, so I'll re-post them here.

X

Comment

Originally posted by sflnyc View Post
      First photo is of the original Turnpike Stadium in 1969, capacity of 10,000.

What's interesting about Turnpike Stadium, as shown in the photo, is the grassy areas beyond first and third. It looks to me that you could have just gone there and watched the game for free! In fact, I notice scattered groups of fans doing just that.
      X

Comment

Here's another old pic courtesy of Digital Ballparks

http://www.digitalballparks.com/Arlington8.html

Comment

I find this blurb about Arlington Stadium from Andrew Clem's site very interesting.

"only the third base side of the grandstand was moveable, meaning that the football gridiron was supposed to lie at an angle of about ten degrees from the right field foul line. (Just like Riverfront Stadium.) By the way, the front edge of the huge bleachers was 11 feet above the ground, whereas the highest part of the back edge of the swivelable lower portion of the main grandstand was about twice that high, just as in all stadiums of this "PSCSLD" design. Whenever the lower portions of the grandstand were swiveled around for football games, a large number of seats in the bleachers would be obstructed."

That is very odd and in my opinion poor design, planning and construction. Are there any photos out there showing Arlington Stadium in this football configuration? I have never seen any and I am highly interested in seeing some.

Another odd thing is that it was originally built as a minor league park and built in a way that partially followed the cookie-cutter design. The strangest part of the design being that half of each "PSCSLD" was constructed as seen in the 1969 Turnpike Stadium photo. I guess they built it with the intention of being able to be fully built to a major league facility using the cookie-cutter design.
          sigpic

Comment

I must have been to at least a hundred games at Arlington Stadium, but I never saw it in its football configuration.

I was watching Black Hawk Down not too long ago, and at the beginning of the movie, they flashed the date October 3, 1993 on the screen. That was the date of the very last game ever played at Arlington Stadium (which I attended). I watched that movie, thinking that I was enjoying a baseball game while these soldiers were going through hell in Somalia...
            Rockies fan living in Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
              What's interesting about Turnpike Stadium, as shown in the photo, is the grassy areas beyond first and third. It looks to me that you could have just gone there and watched the game for free! In fact, I notice scattered groups of fans doing just that.
              I'd say they probably had an outer gate to protect against freeloaders. They might have just sold grassy berm seating, as is popular in some minor league parks these days.

Comment

Originally posted by stlfan View Post
                I find this blurb about Arlington Stadium from Andrew Clem's site very interesting.

"only the third base side of the grandstand was moveable, meaning that the football gridiron was supposed to lie at an angle of about ten degrees from the right field foul line. (Just like Riverfront Stadium.) By the way, the front edge of the huge bleachers was 11 feet above the ground, whereas the highest part of the back edge of the swivelable lower portion of the main grandstand was about twice that high, just as in all stadiums of this "PSCSLD" design. Whenever the lower portions of the grandstand were swiveled around for football games, a large number of seats in the bleachers would be obstructed."

That is very odd and in my opinion poor design, planning and construction. Are there any photos out there showing Arlington Stadium in this football configuration? I have never seen any and I am highly interested in seeing some.
                It is odd, but you'd think the view from the new swiveled sideline seating for football would have been better and much closer than if the baseball bleachers had been used as the sideline seating instead, so I guess you could say it was a fair trade-off in the end.

I notice there's a similar issue of a blind sport for football configurations at Candlestick Park, too. The seats where the old right field corner was near the foul poul are obscured when the lower deck stands are brought out for the sideline seats in football. I don't think they even sell them for football. One of the uncommon circumstances in modern era stadiums where seats were sold for baseball but not for football--usually it was the other way around.

Comment

These pics bring back great memories. I went to dozens of games when I lived in Grand Prairie, and was sad to see the stadium demolished. Although their current ballpark is awesome, I still miss the original a lot.

Comment

This color postcard was taken the same day as the packed house B&W photo above. You can tell by the Presentation of the Flag? ceremony behind second base and the shadows on the field.

Also, looked in my 1983 Sporting News Dope Book (off topic, there's a book title that's not P.C. anymore) and the General Admission Bleachers were even bigger than I thought (18,838 seats)

17,425 Field & Mezzanine
                    5,021 Plaza Level (Upper Deck)
                    18,838 General Admission
                    41,284 Total Capacity
                    Attached Files
                    Obladi, Oblada...

July 30, 1978 @ Yankee Stadium (DH vs. Minnesota) My childhood introduction in-person to the greatest game ever.

Comment

I just uploaded about 180 photos of old arlington stadium to my site. Most photos show the demolition of the park. Clubhouses, luxury boxes, concourse shots etc. The park was a mess in 94 just a mere 8 months after the Rangers left.

http://ballparks.phanfare.com/album/438320

click on slideshow for a tour and music
                      It is 9:46 p.m.

Vin Scully with the call: Two and 2 to Harvey Kuenn, one strike away. Sandy into his windup, here's the pitch.....

Swung on and missed, a perfect game!!

check out my personal ballpark photography site
                      www.ballparks.phanfare.com

Comment

Originally posted by bnbusser View Post
                        I just uploaded about 180 photos of old arlington stadium to my site. Most photos show the demolition of the park. Clubhouses, luxury boxes, concourse shots etc. The park was a mess in 94 just a mere 8 months after the Rangers left.

http://ballparks.phanfare.com/album/438320

click on slideshow for a tour and music
                        Great slideshow. It made me sad to see the stadium in its demolition stages. Once the last season ended, I had thoughts about trying to get the seat where I had been for Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter, but I never followed through with it...
                        Rockies fan living in Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Danielh41 View Post
                          Great slideshow. It made me sad to see the stadium in its demolition stages. Once the last season ended, I had thoughts about trying to get the seat where I had been for Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter, but I never followed through with it...
                          I actually was back in Dallas on business when I took those photos. I drove to Texas from So. Cal where I lived. I loaded up my truck for the drive back. 4 stadium seats, a concession stand sign, a turnstile from the old park, a case of 1993 media guides and a ton of programs. Plus all the photos.
                          It is 9:46 p.m.

Vin Scully with the call: Two and 2 to Harvey Kuenn, one strike away. Sandy into his windup, here's the pitch.....

Swung on and missed, a perfect game!!

check out my personal ballpark photography site
                          www.ballparks.phanfare.com

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                            It is odd, but you'd think the view from the new swiveled sideline seating for football would have been better and much closer than if the baseball bleachers had been used as the sideline seating instead, so I guess you could say it was a fair trade-off in the end.

I notice there's a similar issue of a blind sport for football configurations at Candlestick Park, too. The seats where the old right field corner was near the foul poul are obscured when the lower deck stands are brought out for the sideline seats in football. I don't think they even sell them for football. One of the uncommon circumstances in modern era stadiums where seats were sold for baseball but not for football--usually it was the other way around.
                            I noticed that Andrew Clem also stated that, for football, Arlington Stadium would lay out the football field where the bleachers were the sideline seats. Eventually, the football tenants, the University of Texas-Arlington Mavericks, would move back to campus for their games. UTA dropped football in the 1980's.
                            ATLANTA BRAVES, PLEASE BRING BACK THE CHEERING NATIVE AMERICAN LOGO BACK!

Comment

Does anyone have a closeup picture of the Arlington Stadium scoreboard that had the map of Texas on it? The map on the scoreboard was used to batting orders, balls, strikes, and outs. If you do, thanks.
                              ATLANTA BRAVES, PLEASE BRING BACK THE CHEERING NATIVE AMERICAN LOGO BACK!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X