Rosenblatt Stadium / Omaha Municipal Stadium - Omaha, NE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosenblatt Stadium / Omaha Municipal Stadium - Omaha, NE

I just read this on ballpark digest, what is everyone's thoughts? I went to Rosenblatt one summer for the cws and had a blast. It's such a neat and historical park, but I guess good things can't last forever.

Omaha Mayor Mick Fahey formally unveiled a plan for a 24,000-seat ballpark, which could be expanded to 35,000, a day after presenting the plan to NCAA leaders in an attempt to keep the College World Series in the Nebraska city. The cost of the project is projected at $127.84 million, not including $11.95 million to retire debt associated with the last renovation of Johnny Rosenblatt Stadium. The new ballpark, to be built in a parking lot near the Qwest Center, would be funded with a 1-percentage point rise in the city's hotel tax and a $2 surcharge on car rentals. City officials say they are budgeting $59.24 million toward the project and expect to attract $42.95 million in private donations to make up the difference, as well as $37.6 million from naming rights, parking fees, seat taxes and leases with the Omaha Royals (Class AAA; Pacific Coast League) and the Creighton Bluejays, though neither have committed to the project. The goal was to lure the NCAA into extending its lease for the College World Series, but reaction from the NCAA was muted, as the organization issued a statement praising the plan but not committing to a extension past 2010. Politically, we're not sure the project is any farther along than it was a week or so ago: hotel owners are still opposed to the tax -- which puts the city hotel tax rate among the highest in the nation -- and officials from Qwest Center were not present at the press conference, though we did hear later from reps from the organization they were willing to work on a management deal for the ballpark. Also, part of the funding relies on a diversion of funds from Douglas County, and officials there aren't pleased.
    -----------------

Moderator's note: I suggest crossreferencing this thread with that focusing on TD Ameritrade Park (& Werner Park).
    Last edited by milladrive; 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM. Reason: Moderator's note
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

My guess is the Omaha Royals will be staunchly opposed to this project. What minor league team wants to play in an empty stadium?? They are on record as wanting a new stadium that is smaller than the existing Rosenblatt. They have seen that smaller more intimate ballparks make the game much more enjoyable for the fans and players.

Omaha is between a rock and a hard spot. After years of work the College World Series has become a goldmine and the vultures are starting to circle. The NCAA will sell its soul for a dollar and when they see a full house they will only think about how much money they could make if they had a bigger house.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

A lot of the NFL teams have stadiums which are built to be expanded for special events such as the Super Bowl or bowl games. Perhaps Omaha can do something like that.

Or worse comes to worse they can do what the Marlins used to do--tarp up the seats they don't usually sell for regular season games. I'm sure there would be companies and businesses happy to pay for advertising spaces on those tarps.

Of course, the NCAA could think of moving the CWS to a major league stadium--do you think they would sell out a 45,000 ballpark, though? Tough call.

Comment

When I went a ton of locals went just to go. So if they move out they might lose that great local fan base that made up a good chunk of tickets. If they build a new staidium how will they match the appeal of rossenblatt? It's like commerica park compared to tiger stadium to me. If they move who would get it, I bet the ncaa would have a fun time taking bids!
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

I really wonder how well it would draw if it was held in a major league stadium. I think alot of the draw is having it where you don't have to compete with a major league team. Just speaking for myself, as a season ticket holder for the Cardinals I might check out a CWS game if it was held in Busch Stadium to see what it was like. But I doubt I would make it a yearly visit. What about the idea of having it on a rotating basis at AAA stadiums and maybe major league stadiums. Have it like the All-Star game where cities have to bid on it ?

Comment

This is the NCAA strong-arming Omaha in attempt to get what they want - in this case a shiny new stadium so they can make more $$$. Nothing else.

In this case forcing the city to pony up $140M (75% of which is public funding) for the new stadium. And there's still $12M in debt on Rosenblatt to retire as well.

Perhaps good for Omaha, but seems a bit pricey for an event that runs only 2 weeks every year.

Comment

Originally posted by bleacherbum73 View Post
              What about the idea of having it on a rotating basis at AAA stadiums and maybe major league stadiums. Have it like the All-Star game where cities have to bid on it ?
              I think the NCAA might have an issue with AAA stadiums because a lot of them are too small for the NCAA's tastes. Most AAA parks only fit 10,000-15,000 fans. Rosenblatt is unusually large for a AAA park.

On the other hand, the issue is whether major league parks are too large? Except maybe for Fenway, PNC, the new Oakland park, and the new Marlins park, which are all within the 30,000s.

Looks like the NCAA is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Comment

NCAA baseball will never reach its potential in Omaha. This tournament needs to be treated like the Final Four, let the schools in proximity to decent-sized ballparks compete to host the regionals and whatnot. Spread the hype around the country.

College baseball will truly prosper when it is no longer invisible.

Comment

Originally posted by J.R. View Post
                  NCAA baseball will never reach its potential in Omaha. This tournament needs to be treated like the Final Four, let the schools in proximity to decent-sized ballparks compete to host the regionals and whatnot. Spread the hype around the country.

College baseball will truly prosper when it is no longer invisible.
                  I think it would be cool to make the cws like the final four where major cities bid on getting it and people come from all over the country to go. But I still think there is no experience like omaha and rosenblatt!

Comment

It's going to be a shame that Rosenblatt will not be there anymore.

I think it would hurt the zoo's attendance during that week as well as the businesses there.

A Zesto isn't a Zesto unless you get it at the walk up window and walk the block and a half back to your tailgate party and the parking lot.

I started going in 1997 and your first is always your best. The parking was bad but it was still managable. We got the same spot everyday and would wake up early to get them. The problem was when Nebraska started to win and their bandwagon fans started to show up making it impossible to get a spot or for that matter, a ticket.

When we went in '03, we left D/FW and drove straight through on a Friday morning and got there just in time to see the Huskers go down in a dramatic game to help our parking chances become that much better for the rest of the week.

I also knew the guy, and worked for him here in Fort Worth at LaGrave Field for the Fort Worth Cats, that helped get the field in tip top shape.

His name is Jeff Martin.

He has also helped in getting the fields of these new parks in great condition. He helped open up Citizens Bank Park in Philly and the New Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

We love that town and have nothing but great memories of that historic yard. They made so many improvements starting in '95 or '96 with the new pressbox, then the suites and additional seating down the lines and the new bleachers about 8 or 9 years ago.
                    Last edited by Arlington Stadium Child; 06-02-2011, 11:09 PM. Reason: Additional Info

Comment

I only went once, but it was enough to turn me into a baseball stadium fanatic. I am happy to have modern ammenities, but I was never saying omg this place is a dump or this place is too cramp. If FSU goes again my friends and I are talking about going to open the new park. I would have gone to the last year at the blatt but I couldn't find time, everyone said it was the same great time as 10 years earlier when we went, so thats reason enough for us to go.

Isn't there a team that plays at TD Ameritrade throughout the year?

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                        I only went once, but it was enough to turn me into a baseball stadium fanatic. I am happy to have modern ammenities, but I was never saying omg this place is a dump or this place is too cramp. If FSU goes again my friends and I are talking about going to open the new park. I would have gone to the last year at the blatt but I couldn't find time, everyone said it was the same great time as 10 years earlier when we went, so thats reason enough for us to go.
                        The Rosenblatt concession area was, IMHO, much too cramped and isolated. Especially during CWS crowds. You'll find that you can actually move around safely in the new ballparks.

And the players have all said that the facilities at the Trade and Werner Park are light years beyond anything that Rosenblatt ever had.

Isn't there a team that plays at TD Ameritrade throughout the year?
                        Yep. The Creighton University baseball team.
                        It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Laser Beam View Post
                          The Rosenblatt concession area was, IMHO, much too cramped and isolated. Especially during CWS crowds. You'll find that you can actually move around safely in the new ballparks.

And the players have all said that the facilities at the Trade and Werner Park are light years beyond anything that Rosenblatt ever had.

Yep. The Creighton University baseball team.
                          Like college kids need nice things lol. Glad its not going to waste!

Comment

Also, the Omaha Nighthawks will be using the Trade after baseball season is over.

I have been to both of these new ballparks. I like them very much - a LOT better than Rosenblatt. Now don't get me wrong, I respect the history of the Blatt and I can understand why people are sad to see it go, but it's time to move on - the Blatt no longer effectively serves any of the teams for which it was built. Like I said, it's too big for the Storm Chasers and too small for the CWS.

Plus, the NCAA basically told Omaha to build a new ballpark or else they'd pull the CWS out. We could not afford to take that risk.
                            It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Comment

Anyone have pics of Rosenblatt Stadium? I searched through the directory sticky thread at the top of page one, but I didn't find anything.

A status update on the Rosenblatt's future would also be nice.

I could search around web, but I know I'll find better goodies here if I wait patiently.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X