Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past Major League Ballparks - Google Earth

Hey guys,

I thought I'd contribute something I've been working on for a few weeks. So I've been on a bit of a nostalgia kick lately - you know, digging all the old ballpark pics and personal insights around the board. Hence my idea to try and locate all past ballparks from the major league and display them in Google Earth.

Each one is represented by a polygon showing the approximate (or as close as I could manage) size, shape and location of the ballpark and a marker that indicates the approximate (again, closest I could figure) location of home plate. The old parks were the most difficult, not having much to go on, but I'm confident the locations are correct.

I hope this comes in useful and of course feel free to change things around if you think something's misplaced. Take a look at Mall of America, nowhere could I find an overlay of old and new, so any help there would be a huge contribution.

MLB Past Stadiums.kmz[1.7mb]

Enjoy, and please post any additions/changes in this thread.
    matt.

KMD, any chance you can make the pics bigger, particularly the one of Brooklyn?

Is Mervyn Day in recognition of the West Ham Utd goal keeper of the 1970's?
    I believe in all that - in baseball, in picnics, in freedom. Walt Whitman, 1888

Comment

Spot on AussieYank, the very same Merv. Good knowledge!

Made the pics bigger, take a look
      BrookParksBig.jpgYankParksBig.jpg
      Last edited by kingMervynDay; 07-05-2011, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I think this is a great concept. Would love to see it expanded beyond New York, and inclusive of current ballparks.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

Oh yah, it's not just New York, it includes every stadium ever (at least according to Wikipedia!) used for major league games. I didn't bother with current ballparks as there are plenty of other overlays available that show their locations.

Here's a quick overview of all the parks and where they are in google earth.
          AllBallparks.jpg

I guess the next step would be to hunt down aerial images and include them as overlays too. Google do a pretty good job on historical images, but most don't go back beyond the mid-90's, so stadiums demolished before this simply aren't there. There is a good historical image of Colt Stadium from 1978 just after or during it's demolition. Which was a great help when determining it's size and shape.

Comment

Originally posted by kingMervynDay View Post
            Oh yah, it's not just New York, it includes every stadium ever (at least according to Wikipedia!) used for major league games. I didn't bother with current ballparks as there are plenty of other overlays available that show their locations.

Here's a quick overview of all the parks and where they are in google earth.
            [ATTACH]99525[/ATTACH]

I guess the next step would be to hunt down aerial images and include them as overlays too. Google do a pretty good job on historical images, but most don't go back beyond the mid-90's, so stadiums demolished before this simply aren't there. There is a good historical image of Colt Stadium from 1978 just after or during it's demolition. Which was a great help when determining it's size and shape.
            This site may help:

www.historicaerials.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X