Retractable Roofs and Ground Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retractable Roofs and Ground Rules

Does MLB have any rules regarding these facilities? I don't believe they do, but maybe something out there?
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Guidelines for Movement of Retractable Roofs

The decision as to whether a game begins with the roof open or closed rests solely with the home club.

If the game begins with the roof open:

It shall be closed only in the event of impending rain or other adverse weather conditions. The decision to close the roof shall be made by the home club, after consultation with the Umpire Crew Chief.
    The Umpire Crew Chief shall notify the visiting club, which may challenge the opening of the roof if it feels that a competitive imbalance will arise. In such an event, the Umpire Crew Chief shall make a final decision based on the merits of the challenge.
    (Arizona, Houston, Seattle, Toronto): Once the roof is closed during a game, it shall not be reopened.
    (Milwaukee Only): The roof may be re-opened by following the procedures for opening the roof as detailed below.

If the game begins with the roof closed:

(Toronto Only): It shall not be opened at any time during the game.
    (Arizona, Houston, Milwaukee, Seattle): It may be opened when, in the opinion of the home club, the climatic environment has reached a level where fan comfort and enjoyment will be best served by opening the roof to the natural atmospheric conditions. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the following guidelines should be applied opening the roof during a game.
    The roof may be opened only once during the game.
    The Umpire Crew Chief will be notified at the commencement of the inning that the roof will be opened at the inning's conclusion.
    The Umpire Crew Chief shall notify the visiting club, which may challenge the opening of the roof if it feels that a competitive imbalance will arise. In such an event, the Umpire Crew Chief shall make a final decision based on the merits of the challenge.
    The opening of the roof shall only commence between innings.
    (Arizona Only): The roof shall be opened in a pair of 2 minute, 15 second intervals; one interval at the conclusion of an inning and one interval at the conclusion of the next inning.
    THE SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS
    11-Time World Series Champions

World Series Champions: 1926, 1931, 1934, 1942, 1944, 1946, 1964, 1967, 1982, 2006, 2011
    National League Champions: 1928, 1930, 1943, 1968, 1985, 1987, 2004, 2013
    National League Central Champions: 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015
    National League Wild Card Champions: 2011, 2012

Comment

I remember as a kid seeing a special on skydome and being impressed at how high tech their weather computers where to predict if they needed to open or close the roof. I think it took 45 mins to close toranto's, so they better guess right huh?
      The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Does anyone know how often the roof is open in Houston? I'm guessing that climate is probably the closest to Miami's, so I'm just curious as to how often we might see the roof open down here. Knowing the summer patterns here, probably not all that often, but maybe in April and September or October.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
          I remember as a kid seeing a special on skydome and being impressed at how high tech their weather computers where to predict if they needed to open or close the roof. I think it took 45 mins to close toranto's, so they better guess right huh?
          no its less than that. Its either 7 or 20 I forget which.

Comment

The best rule would be "No more roofs in baseball"

Comment

Originally posted by Philtration View Post
              The best rule would be "No more roofs in baseball"
              Can't argue with that one!
              Mike Hopper
              Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

Comment

Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                Does anyone know how often the roof is open in Houston? I'm guessing that climate is probably the closest to Miami's, so I'm just curious as to how often we might see the roof open down here. Knowing the summer patterns here, probably not all that often, but maybe in April and September or October.
                The roof for Minute Maid Park is open a lot during April and mid-May for games. During June through August is is pretty much closed, especially this year when Texas has been going through a drought and everyday has had a heat index of 103-107. The temps will change again in September bringing much better weather and the roof will open again. The roof is actually open everyday so the grass can grow and get rain (not much lately). It closes about 1:00 or 1:30 and then the air-conditioning starts to flow. The inside of the ballpark that was baking in the sun still feels hot for some time as all that heat that was trapped begins to cool down.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                  I think the motors were upgraded since it opened - thus the faster time.

It does move slowly though. Kinda like watching the hour hand on a clock slow.

Comment

Does Skydome have the slowest open and close time then?
                    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
                      no its less than that. Its either 7 or 20 I forget which.
                      It was 40-45 minutes when it first opened. Rogers poured a bunch of money into the place when they bought it and part of it was upgrading the roof system. It's now ~20 minutes to open or close.

Comment

Retractable roof stadiums - what determines if it is open or closed?

Toronto, Seattle, Arizona, Houston, Milwaukee & Miami all have retractable roof stadiums.

I've been to a day game in Seattle on a bright sunny day with temperatures probably around 60 and the roof was closed.

I've been to a day game in Milwaukee on a partly cloudy day with temperature probably in the high 50s or low 60s and the roof was closed.

I imagine the humidity & temperature factor into whether or not the roof is closed at Miami & Houston. At Arizona, I've heard it is strictly the outside temperature. 80+ & they close it. 75 & below and they leave it open.

I know Seattle's stadium isn't climate controlled and Arizona's is. What about the others?
                        Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.

Comment

The home team decides.

This is from the Brewers FAQ...
                          There are several factors that determine the roof position for a game, including precipitation, game temperature, wind conditions and the weather forecast for the balance of the game. Obviously, we will close the roof when it is raining or very cold. Based on fan surveys, we will generally keep the roof closed if game temperatures are expected to be below 60 degrees.

In addition, even if the temperature is above 60 degrees, we will close the roof if rain and high winds are in the forecast. This is due to the fact that we need to send a roof crew to the roof to do a manual inspection before we make a roof move. If there are strong winds, it is not a safe environment for our roof crew to go onto the roof. We recognize that our fans will not always agree on the roof position. Some fans want the roof open all the time-regardless of temperature—unless it is raining. Other fans want the roof closed unless the temperature is in the high 60s. Other fans have different views depending on whether their seats are in the sun or the shade. We attempt to create an environment that is comfortable for as many of our fans as possible.

Comment

Milwaukee can heat the stadium when the roof is closed, but there is no cooling it during the summer. They mostly keep it closed during the early month(s)...April, May when it's cooler outside, and open the rest of the season unless there's rain.

Comment

Home Club determines the roof opening/closing during regular season but that privilege is revoked during Playoffs. Houston hoping to gain an advantage in the 2005 World Series with a large loud crowd in an indoor setting was ordered by MLB to open the roof and play "outdoors."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X