TV/Radio Crews & Broadcast Teams at the Ballpark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV/Radio Crews & Broadcast Teams at the Ballpark

Does anyone have any good pictures of broadcast teams or TV equipment set up at classic ballparks?

Here's one of NBC covering the Dodgers and Reds at Ebbets Field in 1941:

I love the look of those oldtime cameras and micropohones against a ballfield, really a classic look.

Picture 1.pngSome old eqipment at Yankee Stadium:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lpeters199; 08-08-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I'd like to know the ratings share from that Dodgers/Reds game in '41.

Comment

First Indians game on WEWS in 1948 with Van Patrick in the booth.

Cool thread!
        sigpic

Comment

Does this count?

Comment

It's a shame the Yankees fired Mel Allen in 1964 almost destroying the man. Following his termination from the Yankee broadcast booth he lost the Rose Bowl and other national football gigs as well. Phil Rizzuto always referred to Mel as the "voice of the Yankees" but it's sad he was only the team's lead announcer for 21 years. I never understood why Saint Steinbrenner....you know the guy who did all that charity work no one supposedly ever knew about, but of course knew about because it was so highly publicized.....I've always wondered why he didn't install Mel in the Yankee radio booth for at least part of the time beginning in 1973....Yes, he was brought back to the team's cable broadcasts from 1978-1985 for roughly 40 games a year.....I'm not even sure he did road games on Sportschannel....and in those years millions in the NY tri-state area didn't even have cable....it's all very sad. It was great that he made a comeback with TWIB in 1976, but the man got screwed and the Mets, Dodgers, and Padres have treated Bob Murphy, Vin Scully, and Jerry Coleman a lot better.

The Tigers screwed Ernie Harwell in 1992 but they soon realized the error of their ways and brought him back a year later.

Comment

Ty Tyson, Detroit Tigers broadcaster:
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lpeters199 View Post
                Ty Tyson, Detroit Tigers broadcaster:
                Do you know which park Tyson is in in this photo? The press box seems too high to be Tigers, yet too close to the plate for me recognize anywhere else.

Tiger Stadium roof box perhaps?

Comment

Jon Miller's set up at Oriole Park. Damn I miss hearing that guy. One of Peter Angelos' biggest mistakes ever (and there have been numerous of those) was to let him go. Giants fans have it lucky.

Comment

Vin Scully at Ebbets

Vin at Shea. No more beer and cigarette carton props

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                    https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Vin had the Conan hair going on long before Mr. O'brien.

Comment

Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                        Do you know which park Tyson is in in this photo? The press box seems too high to be Tigers, yet too close to the plate for me recognize anywhere else.

Tiger Stadium roof box perhaps?
                        Yes, he did his broadcasting from Briggs Stadium's roof level press box (picture 1) until 1941, when he moved to a new box hung from the front of the second deck (pictures 2 & 3).
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lpeters199 View Post
                          Yes, he did his broadcasting from Briggs Stadium's roof level press box (picture 1) until 1941, when he moved to a new box hung from the front of the second deck (pictures 2 & 3).
                          Ty Tyson calls the oldest surviving complete baseball game radio broadcast that exists, 9/20/34, Yanks at Tigers, have it on my iTunes. Nice to see a visual of him at work at that time. He was also the occasional PA announcer for the game as well, using a different microphone (I believe only announcing pinch hitters, otherwise the batters were not announced or introduced at all). It appears both may be shown in the first photo above. Also, what must be teletype machines click away throughout the broadcast in the background. Great stuff.
                          Last edited by alpineinc; 08-09-2011, 03:38 PM.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                          https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

saw the back of my old man's head in post #2, second pix, upper left hand corner.

here he is (starting from upper left) sitting next to the "possum" jim woods and jackie farrell standing next to him, mel allen is at the top wearing the hat. then there's dad with red barber and phil rizzuto (who forced out woods). next, he's in the far right side with red on the other side of the 'pix cameras. last is ol' red shooting him a glance.

as seen in post #2, hats and coats were standard equipment early and late in the season.

the hatch in post #12 was the the norm at many parks, they got it soft today...
                            Attached Files
                            the turd in the punchbowl
                            reality really sucks.
                            enjoy the game more...

Comment

http://digital.library.temple.edu/cd...SOBOX=1&REC=14
                              Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X