Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pelican Stadium / Heinemann Park

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pelican Stadium / Heinemann Park

    Built in 1915, Heinemann Park stood at the corner of Tulane and Carrollton Ave. Named for New Orleans Pelicans' President A.J. Heinemann, it was the Southern Association home for the N.O. Pelicans until 1957. During its' existence, Heinemann Park saw the likes of "Dazzy" Vance, Joe Sewell, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig to name a few. Pennants flew in 1915, 1918, 1923, 1926, 1927, 1933 and 1934. The name of the ballpark changed in 1938 to Pelican Stadium, eight years after Heinemann took his own life. The ballpark played its' last game in front of 941 fans on September 1, 1957 against the Memphis Chicks, losing to the visitors, 7-3. The ballpark was torn down to make room for a hotel. Since then the site has been a storage facility and finally dorm rooms for a University. Lest we forget. Here are some photos of the famed ballpark. If you have any other photos, feel free to add. Thanks.
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Heinemann Park, a.k.a. Pelican Stadium

    Another shot of the old lady.
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      Heinemann Park a.k.a. Pelican Stadium

      Corner of Tulane and Carrollton ave. Ballpark to the right.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        Some excellent pics. Thanks for this.
        Put it in the books.

        Comment


        • #5
          Looks like a good park!
          The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

          Comment


          • #6
            Pelican Stadium/Heinemann Park

            Here is a aerial shot overlooking the playing field.
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #7
              Pelican Stadium/Heinemann Park

              Another shot from across the street.
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                The ballpark was built on the site of the old White City Amusement Park. On April 13, 1915, in front of 10,610 fans, the Pelicans defeated the Birmingham Barons, 7-4. The outfield dimensions were: 427 ft. to left field, 405 ft. to dead center, 418 ft to right field.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Pelican Stadium/Heinemann Park

                  Two more shots of Heinemann. First is a photo looking at the right field foul area. Second is, Heinemann Park, 1921.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Melottfan View Post
                    Two more shots of Heinemann. First is a photo looking at the right field foul area. Second is, Heinemann Park, 1921.

                    That's interesting how they let the fans sit on the field by the dugout. Thanks for posting this!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Pelican Stadium/Heinemann Park

                      1934 N.O. Pelicans. Winners of the Southern Association, 94-60. Won the Dixie Series over Galveston. The last time the Pelicans would win the S.A. flag. Taken at Heinemann Park
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by majorleads View Post
                        That's interesting how they let the fans sit on the field by the dugout.
                        Heh, kinda reminds one of the days when the fans were allowed to stand in the outfield, even during World Series games.

                        Thanks for posting this!
                        Ditto!
                        Put it in the books.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A different time when fans could sit on the field. They would have special ground rules for that. During that time, it was a community affair when the Mayor of new Orleans would give city workers half a day to go and increase attendance on opening day.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Pelican Stadium/Heinemann Park

                            Pelican Stadium, March 1955. Milwaukee Braves take on the Brooklyn Dodgers.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Pelican Stadium/Heinemann Park

                              From 1901 through 1939, several major league teams chosed New Orleans as their Spring Training headquarters. Cleveland Indians, Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees to name a few. The Yankees trained here from 1922-1924. After reports of Babe Ruth's nightlife prompted a change to Florida. Here is a photo of the Yankees in 1923 taken at Heinemann Park.
                              Attached Files

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X