Athletic Park - Anaheim CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletic Park - Anaheim CA

I am researching a book on baseball history in Orange County, CA - for months I have tried to find the exact location of Athletic Park in Anaheim - built about 1905 - and the first "formal" park where Walter Johnson pitched (he grew up in nearby Olinda - an oil town)

FINALLY last night we found it on a Sanborn Insurance Map - I'll be posting some info here really soon - for now here is the book cover - shot at the site - featuring a young Walter Johnson

There are so many Athletic Parks (mostly in Irvine), but it's obvious from the team's uniforms there was indeed one in Anaheim.

Was this a professional team young Barney was on? Minor League? I'm eager to see some more pix and info, not only from a personal interest, but also so the forum's Index can be properly updated.

Put it in the books.

Comment

well, the short version is - LOTS of teams played here. Because Anaheim invested in a proper grandstand and maintained the field, teams from all over the county - olinda, santa ana, huntington beach - all played some of their more important games here.

Johnson pitched for the Anaheim Oil Wells in the Southern California League at this park - i've also located the site of the park where he pitched for the Santa Ana team in the CA Winter League

Comment

I for one would consider it a real treat to see a pic of the park.
        Put it in the books.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X